{SPLIT} Canadian BONES 2 shipping/fees

Forgive me for posting in this older topic, I just really did not want to start a new one, and I know this may be of intrest to Canadians out there.

As many of you may know, Bones II is in full swing and ending soon.

However this time around Reaper is not coving the shipping, which in a lot of ways is totally understandable.

I just want to make sure that all Canadian buyers know what they're getting themselves into. Found this website that looks pretty acruate, and breaks down some of the charges applied by shippers like UPS when products cross the boarder. A lot of people see these as "Hidden Fees" and blame UPS for them, when in reality its the Canadian Govermnet that applies a lot of these ristrictions, and is not directly UPS's fault. If you wanted to check out he site for yourself:

http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/

As an example, using Reapers Pledge Manager I played around with a basic test. 1 Core set ($100) and the three Expantion sets (3x$50). The total came to $250 with an estimation on shipping of about $45. Thats all well and good, but now lets look at the cost of actually importing it into Canada.

Based on the information from that site (which looks to be in-line with the information on UPS's own site), the Duty on such a package would be about $15, and the GST about $19. About $7 for CAD to USD conversion, and a whopping $45 brokerage! Finally a $7 "Disbursement" fee (for UPS doing the paperwork for you). All in all our $250 order turns into about $385 CAD!

Keep in mind, none of this is Reaper or UPS's "fault", thats just the way Canada runs its boarder and we have to put up with that. Just please keep this in mind before/durring your pledge to Bones II, or you'll end up with a nasty shock on your doorstep. And trust me, UPS WILL go to a Collections agency over unpaid Brokerage fees!

Best of luck Canadian Backers! Reaper has put together another amazing product!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duty and GST are always there. Exchange rate can vary, though probably not significantly in the next little while. Brokerage and Disbursement fees however, are UPS cash grab. Compare the USPS results for the same example you provided, instead of $385 the result is $341. This is why so many Canadians hate UPS. Check out this thread about how the UPS scam (and scam it is) works: http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/

Be sure to read through the years of posts below the article of people repeatedly being mistreated and lied to by UPS.

Edited to add this news story from 2012, two years after the above article, where UPS had a guy charged with "stealing" and claimed clearance was some new thing they just learned about: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/beating-cross-border-brokerage-fees-1.762619

UPS sucks.

Edited by Suden

UPS vs USPS is no comparison at all. USPS is ALWAYS cheaper as they don't try to screw you by preying on most people's ignorance of actual shipping costs and the fees shippers are allowed/disallowed to collect.

I am hoping that Reaper uses USPS for Canadian shipments (as they will for US shipments).

and using the Reaper pledge calculator, it looks like it shall only cost me about $50-75 to get my stuff shipped to me. I looked into having it shipped to a cousin with a south of the border PO box and have her send it, but it's not going to be any cheaper

If you live near the border (and a lot of people do) it's not too hard to set up delivery service to a US address, but you do need to factor in the money you'd spend on gas to go pick it up. Depending on how much you get then there's also the issue of whether you need to stay a night, etc. If you're combining trips it's not so bad but there is still an intrinsic cost.

I know there are people on the boards who have looked into those sorts of services, but it can't be too hard to find out.

• Like 1

I just spent some time reading the article and a good number of the follow-up replies that Suden linked, and I just wanted to say: I am so so sorry for you guys. ::(:

I've lived in the US my whole life, so I've never had to deal with this...this madness, and while thanks to the last KS I discovered just how expensive things get for RoW people, I didn't realize it was this bad.

I mean, I've been completely understanding that RoW backers were upset about shipping and declared value being different this time around, but now I really understand why. It's just...I'm shocked.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

Will we be hit with duty and taxes? I've ordered a ton of toys from the states, usually a few hundred dollars worth once a year and haven't had problems with it. I agree that UPS adds a lot of extra fees to things but I get all my stuff sent USPS if at all possible.

If you live near the border (and a lot of people do) it's not too hard to set up delivery service to a US address, but you do need to factor in the money you'd spend on gas to go pick it up. Depending on how much you get then there's also the issue of whether you need to stay a night, etc. If you're combining trips it's not so bad but there is still an intrinsic cost.

I know there are people on the boards who have looked into those sorts of services, but it can't be too hard to find out.

A'yup.

If you live in the Vancouver lower mainland, have a vehicle (or access to one) and aren't too worried about the 5% GST duty charges I highly recommend TSB Shipping in Point Roberts, just south of Tsawwassen. They're located right next door to the Point Roberts Post Office and their pick up rates are really quite reasonable and registration is totally free: http://www.tsbshipping.com/

One of the nice things about the Point Roberts border crossing is that, on the way back into Canada, they're actually pretty lenient about when they make you go in to pay duty. I've brought back packages of goods for personal use with values up to $200 and been waived through. It has to be a lot more than that, or I have to have picked up something that's for "business use" before they make me go in and pay duty.

That said, I know there are similar services available in Blaine which you could investigate as an option if you live on the east side of our lovely Canadian metropolis.

Edited by MatrissaTheEnchantress
  • Like 1

I live 15 minutes from the border and another 10 to the nearest american town and I am down there a few times a year. A lot of people here (not me) have US mail boxes. When I tried shipping something to their address I ran into a problem with my shipping address doesn't match my credit card address and the company refused to ship it. I don't order that much so never bothered getting my own box and don't know how common that problem might be.

I live 15 minutes from the border and another 10 to the nearest american town and I am down there a few times a year. A lot of people here (not me) have US mail boxes. When I tried shipping something to their address I ran into a problem with my shipping address doesn't match my credit card address and the company refused to ship it. I don't order that much so never bothered getting my own box and don't know how common that problem might be.

When was that Zink? I've never had a problem with that - the US shops from whom I purchase things usually ask for a shipping address and then ask me to indicate if my billing address for the credit card is the same or to enter a new one.

One of the reasons I like services like TSB Shipping is that you get to use a regular street address, which means that places which won't ship to PO boxes will ship to them, and there's no fee at all except when a package get's picked up (whereas a PO box has a monthly fee).

• Like 1

The Final Cost website is out of date (they use 6% GST, amongst other things).

Do the math yourself, or you're free to use my spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuXf-f-0SRiHdDVQUFJfRTNkVWxjbGJCRjhIMWdtVEE&usp=sharing

If you do the math yourself, remember:

0) Todays USD to CAD exchange rate is 1.03

1) You pay GST (and PST where applicable) on the Item Cost, and Brokerage, and Shipping.

2) "Toys" have no Duty associated with them. The closest Duty category that I could find for miniatures was "Toys - Action Figures".

3) VISA/MC will charge you 2.5% of the converted value in order to process a ForEx payment. A $300 USD purchase will cost you an additional $7.72 CAD if you pay Amazon with a Visa or MC. I see no way of avoiding this, just be aware of it.

4) USPS does not charge disbursement (yay)

Using my spreadsheet, as an Alberta resident, a $250 pledge becomes $325 after shipping and taxes.

Edited by unidentifiable