MatrissaTheEnchantress

Matrissa's Bones: Yephima, Female Cloud Giant (77162)

Yephima is one of my favourite new sculpts from the KS1 set so I decided I would make her my second bones paint.
First I had to fix her left foot though - the last three toes and part of the left side were simply missing, so I used some liquid green stuff to create some new toes. You can see the result here.
post-8855-0-44235000-1382337532.jpg
There was also a weird, sinuous, flash mark along the ground between her left foot and the edge of her skirt where one side of the ground was a little higher than the other so I couldn't really file it off. Since I was mucking around with the liquid green stuff in the area anyway I dabbed it around a bit as a way of hiding the line.
Next I used some brush on primer to cover up the green stuff and then I used Nightmare Black and lots of water to make a dark blue wash which I coated her with so I could find all the details and see if I missed any flash lines. (Amazingly, I hadn't!)
post-8855-0-99148700-1382337533.jpg
Cloud Giants can have skin tones ranging from "Milky White to Sky Blue". I've seen several examples of Cloud Giants with the "Milky White" with blue highlights and also a lot with the bright blue of a hot summer sky, but neither felt right to me. In the end I decided to go with a soft grey-blue, closer to the colour of the pieces of sky that peek through the clouds in Spring or Autumn, like this:
post-8855-0-56457300-1382337539.jpg
So I fiddled with a few of the KS1 blue and grey colours until I found a mix I liked. In the end, the base coat colour I settled one was Aircraft Grey, Maggot White & Soft Blue in a ratio of 3:3:1
post-8855-0-20988500-1382337535.jpg
(I also used the same base coat on her skirts because I'm thinking I might make them "cloudy", so it seemed reasonable to start with the same sky colour as a base. Not 100% sure that is what I'll do but since I had the colour to hand it made sense to use it now.)
Then I took a deep breath, and started glazing shadow and highlights to her skin.
Prior to getting the Bones KS, all the mini's I'd ever painted were done in enamel paints with washes and dry brushing, so this whole "glazing" thing is a really new technique for me. I used it a little when I was painting "Vaeloth, Helborn Paladin" for the Summer Exchange and made the colour on his sword darker towards the sharp edge but that was all. This was going to be a learning experience.
My plan was to glaze down to shadow first and then back up to highlights. So first I mixed up a shadow colour using Soft Blue, Maggot White and Nightmare Black in a ratio of 4:1:1 and 6 drops of water. Then I started with her right leg ... and discovered I'd already screwed up as I got way too much colour off the brush and instead of barely increasing the depth of shadow I now had a dark blue blemish on the outside of her upper thigh. (Sorry, no photo!)
sigh.
So I repainted her thigh with some of my base coat colour and then I went online, did some research on the technique to see where I went wrong, and decided the problem was that I hadn't thinned it enough, so I doubled the amount of water with another 6 drops. And that was much better!
I started glazing down towards the creases between her legs and her clothing, and also areas of her left leg that would be in shadow such as her hamstring area, around her lower calf and her thigh where light would be blocked by her hair. So far so good.
While I was doing that research I also found some tutorials for faces so I knew to use the shadow in her eye sockets and along her nose, under her jaw line, along her neck where her hair blocks the light and all along her hairline.
Next I mixed up more of the base coat colour and made that into a glaze so I could go back over some areas that should have remained mid-tone but that I'd accidentally gotten some shadow glazing on. This worked well until towards the end when my mixed colours started to separate into distinct patches of soft blue and white/grey!
I didn't notice this at first so suddenly found myself layering on a colour that was far more "white" than I expected. I managed to fix this by mixing some straight Soft Blue with water and glazing it a few times over the odd spot and then I fiddled with this now separated colour to see if I could save it. I managed to determine that I could continue working with it if I remixed it with my brush, dipped the brush in water to remove the excess pigment after the mixing, dried the brush on a napkin and then used the remixed glaze. After that I could usually get two or three glaze passes done before it started separating again.
Then I created a highlight colour with Maggot White and Soft Blue in a ratio of 4:1 and thinned it for glazing. I expected that this mix would also separate after a while, and it did, but this time I was ready for it to happen and knew how to deal with it right off the bat. This I used on her right hip and the front of her right leg, her left thigh and calf and part of her left hip where light wouldn't be blocked by her hair, her left bicep and lower arm, the top of her right arm and her shoulder blade - basically anywhere the light should hit directly
I also used the highlight colour glaze on her face to emphasize her nose, cheekbones, forehead and chin.
And here's the result of my first serious glazing attempt:
post-8855-0-98426500-1382337537.jpgpost-8855-0-41469100-1382337536.jpg
I think it looks okay, for my first try with this technique. Any comments or constructive criticisms would be appreciated. ^_^

Edited for typos.

Edited by MatrissaTheEnchantress
  • Like 17

I wouldn't have guessed it's your first attempt, that's for sure. It's a time consuming process, but the results are worth it (to me, at least). You might consider going just a touch darker in the lowest spots, but then again you haven't done the highlights yet.

• Like 1

Glazing is something I'm trying to figure out myself, so I'm learning right along with you! *takes notes* I'll try the 2:1 ratio of water to paint when I start working on my current mini's shadows and highlights (which I've been dreading). :) That is a lovely color you chose as her base skintone!

I've noticed the separation thing happening at different rates depending on the paints I use; I keep a box of toothpicks handy to give a separating puddle a quick stir every now and again.

I have the same problem with my Yephima's outside toes on her left foot looking like they got smushed coming out of the mold or something; I'm not looking forward to trying to resculpt them. :zombie:

Your layers look very smooth, which is awesome! I agree with trystangst that the shadows could stand to be a little deeper. Also, I'm not sure if it's due to the lighting, but her face looks a lot darker than the rest of her in the picture.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

Well you certainly are treating her well, starting with a pedicure!

I love what you are doing with this mini, and thank you for all the documentation!

I wouldn't have guessed it's your first attempt, that's for sure. It's a time consuming process, but the results are worth it (to me, at least). You might consider going just a touch darker in the lowest spots, but then again you haven't done the highlights yet.

Ah yes. I've heard the mantra "Deeper shadows, higher highlights" passed about on the board. I was afraid of making her look "cartoony" though.... I favour the look of the more subtly blended style of glazing over the more bold style but I'll see if I can't push those things without "ruining" her. ^_^

Glazing is something I'm trying to figure out myself, so I'm learning right along with you! *takes notes* I'll try the 2:1 ratio of water to paint when I start working on my current mini's shadows and highlights (which I've been dreading). :) That is a lovely color you chose as her base skintone!

I've noticed the separation thing happening at different rates depending on the paints I use; I keep a box of toothpicks handy to give a separating puddle a quick stir every now and again.

I have the same problem with my Yephima's outside toes on her left foot looking like they got smushed coming out of the mold or something; I'm not looking forward to trying to resculpt them. :zombie:

Your layers look very smooth, which is awesome! I agree with trystangst that the shadows could stand to be a little deeper. Also, I'm not sure if it's due to the lighting, but her face looks a lot darker than the rest of her in the picture.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Yeah - I found several places that recommended the 2:1 for glazing. Also one that suggested shadows should be 2:1 for shallow areas and 1:1 for deep recesses, but I didn't trust that. Perhaps I'll try it now, to deepen the shadows.

Thanks for the toothpick tip! I'll try that next time.

Resculpting her foot wasn't difficult. The trick is to not try to actually create toes but to shape the foot right and then use a blade to cut lines to make her toes. Look at her right foot to see how it was done.

Well you certainly are treating her well, starting with a pedicure!

I love what you are doing with this mini, and thank you for all the documentation!

No problem. I like WIPs that give all the details so figured I should do the same. :upside:

• Like 4

I've found that thinning paint is more of an art, you can get guidelines from how other people do it but it kind of becomes second nature. I use a two-step blotting process with paper towel and a piece of watercolor paper. The paper is very useful for checking transparency, because it's always a case by case basis.

It's hard to say 'always thin 2:1', as there are so many variables. Some pigments are very opaque and require more thinning than others, sometimes the paint is gloopy from age, sometimes you're painting something that requires more opacity (yellow or red over a darker color).

After a year I'm just starting to get a feel for it, and there are still so many new combinations that pop up, I learn something new from every project.

• Like 3

She's so pretty!! ^_^

I think if you thin with some flow improver, matte medium or something similar in addition to water you are less likely to have the pigments falling out of the suspension. There is probably someone with much more experience than myself who can confirm actual ratios and details. I'm extremely fond of my Vallejo Glaze Medium for getting translucency, but I haven't sorted out what the Reaper equivalent is.

• Like 2

Ooo! I might actually have some of that Vallejo Glaze Medium Bluberry! I think you gave a bottle to the offspring the same year you gave him the Armour & Fur L2PK. I'd totally forgotten about it though - will have to go spelunking in the "craft supplies" area of the spare bedroom.

• Like 1

Another +1 for Glaze Medium. I got a bottle and stopped using water to thin pretty much immediately.

As for contrast and looking cartoony - I know how you feel. It's something I've had to struggle with myself. But you'd be surprised how far you can push it before it gets out of hand.

Right then.

So, I tried to take the advice for "deeper shadows, higher highlights" and touched up her skin. I still don't know if I really pushed it as far as it could go, but I agree it looks a lot better.

post-8855-0-07966600-1383057470.jpgpost-8855-0-83878700-1383057468.jpg

I've decided I want to colour her skirt in kind of sunset cloud colours - vivid pinks, purples, reds, even orange - and her armour white with warm highlights. We'll see what happens

Edited by MatrissaTheEnchantress
  • Like 8

oooh! A sunset skirt! I love the sky theme- great idea! I bet you could paint the skirt as if it was the sky itself. Skin is looking fantastic. I think Martin used some flesh mixed in with his blue for his skintones- that might be an option for highlighting if you don't want to use a cream or white. The shadows on the skin look very smooth! Great work!

• Like 1

This is looking great so far! I'm looking forward to seeing it painted. It's one of the few Bones miniatures that really caught my attention and you're doing a beautiful job!