Black pudding and other delicacies

Nocturne

Rather than derailing the Dang Buglips thread into a food conversation I thought it better to start a new thread. It's not about the D&D monster.

Sorry

It's a little worse, but tastier (YMMV)

As not trusting anything the British called pudding got mentioned the glorious Black Pudding needs bringing up (possibly after it's eaten for some of you wusses)

11.jpg

Congealed blood has never been tastier. Lovely in slices (as above) and fried so it's slightly crisp on the outside but still nice and soft inside. Lovely with a breakfast of sausage, egg and bacon. Or really nice as a starter in a black pudding and bacon salad where it's normally diced into smaller pieces. Deeelightful

So come on, present to us your local dishes that you love but just know most others would recoil at in horror.

The Black Pudding's cousin the White Pudding, isn't as tasty but slightly less horrifying. No blood, just pork meat, fat, suet and oats. Tastes an awful lot like stuffing.

WhitePuddingRing.jpg

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That does not look like pudding... Poor, poor british people. /comfort.

What are the white bits in it?

The white bits are fat.

As for pudding, I was thinking it was anything that's been steamed (like the suet casing on a meat pudding) but Wikipedia offers this:

The word pudding is believed to come from the French boudin, originally from the Latin botellus, meaning "small sausage", referring to encased meats used in Medieval European puddings.

Maybe Black Pudding is the true pudding after all!

This is why I've always loved the UK. They can food anything. I wish I could go back, as my one trip across the pond was mostly spent freezing to death during the "summer" days I was there.

As a gauge on a Brits tolerance to weather I went out during my lunch break and I'm currently boiling hot... It's 16 degrees centigrade and raining.

Lamb's Fry. Not lamb fries. http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/jackies-lambs-fry-and-bacon-L2441.html

Steak and kidney pie http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/25177/steak+kidney+pie

Of course, vegemite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

Oh, and when an Australian says "Beetroot" they mean pickled beetroot, without exception. Excellent on hamburgers. If you order a hamburger with the lot at any non-franchise fast food joint, it WILL have a slice of this on it. And a slice of canned pineapple, usually.

Quandong http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/themes/quandongs.html the gathering of which is, evidently, illegal in some States. Now this one needs some explaining because you can't see how weird these things are just from a photo. The flavour is somewhere between cranberry and rhubarb, and a pie or stew, sweetened with a LOT of sugar, can taste like any combination of rhubarb, cranberry, and even peach. Then there's the fact that they can also be salty. If you foraged them as a kid you tend to love 'em raw, anyone unused to the variability and ah... intensity... rather less so. The texture is a bit like dried fruit, but not as tough, and the moisture content is very, very low.

Edited by smokingwreckage

It says a lot about me that the fruit dish is the only one I think is genuinely horrible.

I hate cranberries and rhubarb, the bastard child of taste of those two is not something I would want to experience.

Although I'm not keen on the thought of heart or tongue either to be honest.

Edited by Nocturne

Cranberries are yummy though! Just not without sugar. So one time my hubby had a uti, so of course he's drinking cranberry juice. Since he's hardcore, he's drinking 100% unsweetened cranberry juice. I don't remember what was said, but somehow we imply to his step-kid that it's yummy. The kid takes a huge gulp. :lol: His expression was hilarious. So were the names he called us. :lol:

I really don't know why that kid trusted us at all.

• Like 3

Lutefisk: Dried cod, reconstituted in lye. My dad says that originally it was delivered by train and dropped on the platform, where it was used as ... hmmm ... a fire hydrant by the local dogs, which provided that little, extra je ne sais quois. I can't imagine that it actually got worse as a result.

On surprises: I have a friend that had never had wasabi, who first saw it at a party. She asked what the green paste was and was told, "It looks like avocado." :rolleyes:

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 4

Hey, no dissing the Lutefisk. I've eaten it every year at Christmas for 43 years. I started liking it after about 20. :lol:

Squirrel is also very good, though most people turn their nose up at it; more for me!

On surprises: I have a friend that had never had wasabi, who first saw it at a party. She asked what the green paste was and was told, "It looks like avocado." :rolleyes:

We took our boys to a sushi restaurant which they loved. At the end of the meal I palmed a wad of Wasabi and rolled behind my back into a smooth ball. I handed that to my son telling him it was a Japanese after dinner mint. :devil: Lucky for him he smelled it BEFORE popping it into his mouth....so close!

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 2