Sign in to follow this  
MissMelons

77162: Yephima, Female Cloud Giant

Figured that since I have been lurking so long then I might as well post my most recent learning experiment. I started painting miniatures in September at Dragon*Con and have sense fallen in love with it. I'm still learning a lot of techniques to see what works best for me and what just doesn't work at all....example: I'm terrible at glazing. @_@

post-12705-0-43146500-1382751417_thumb.jpg

That's my first bit of work, not sure if its a Reaper miniature though, but sense then I have achieved this sort of quality.

post-12705-0-22988900-1382751366_thumb.jpg

She's only half way finished but so far I think she's pretty good. I can tell where I have improved but I'm am totally open to where I could use improvement! I hope to post her here again for you guys when she's finished. :D

I guess for the details. Ummm lately I started using a mixture of paints. Mostly to experiment with wear and tear and how they mix together. (Plus some desperation) Most of Yephima is Reaper paints but I used a mixture of Vallejo's Gold with Folkarts Metallic Inca Gold. (after that particular experiment I went out and bought several other colors of Folkarts metallics). Why? Because when it came to painting the armor, though this picture doesn't do it justice, this mixture made an interesting 'armored' look. It's slightly reflective like you would imagine armor or something metal to look. It also glazed over slightly uneasily like it had been tempered. The only downside to this concoction is that it goes on very thin and it dries very fast! I'm going to have to use a drying retarder next time I paint with it. The thing I like about Folkarts metallics is that the 'metal' look is very slight unless you add a lot. I think for this armor I used 2 drops of folkart gold and 3 drops of vallejo gold.

I was bummed about the casting lines at the top of her head and I know I'm going to have to carve at her again, but I'm glad I got to share my newest project and painting attempt with you all. ^_^

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 8

Great job! Excellent color choices! I really love that blue skin. I could also see some black or purple trim on her in terms of other colors. For the metallic gold- if you have a pearl white, that's and excellent color to highlight your gold. Will you be using a white, gray or cream for her hair? Or purple. I like purple... Lovely work! Keep it up! ::):

• Like 1

Nice stuff, glad you're grooving on painting and look forward to what you create.

My first recommendation is look into taking better pics. Best way to show off your effort, communicate with other painters and get quality feedback. Took me a good six months to tweak my photo setup to more or less where it is now (and I'm still trying to improve it all the time).

• Like 2

Great job! Excellent color choices! I really love that blue skin. I could also see some black or purple trim on her in terms of other colors. For the metallic gold- if you have a pearl white, that's and excellent color to highlight your gold. Will you be using a white, gray or cream for her hair? Or purple. I like purple... Lovely work! Keep it up! ::):

I WISH I had a pearl white, It's on my list of things to order when I recover from Bones 2 KS. I'll definitely be trimming in black or purple later. The hair will actually be a mixture of colors, I just haven't figured out how to do it smoothly let. A few curls in the front of her hair will be in white and then change to a very very very light blue, I mean accent sky blue. Then the back of her hair will be black and turn slowly to white at the tips. I'm mainly doing this to experiment with transitioning colors because I'm terrible at it. I have a hard time making colors blend naturally.

Nice stuff, glad you're grooving on painting and look forward to what you create.

My first recommendation is look into taking better pics. Best way to show off your effort, communicate with other painters and get quality feedback. Took me a good six months to tweak my photo setup to more or less where it is now (and I'm still trying to improve it all the time).

Yeah, I ended up having to use my husbands cellphone camera because his is 100x better than mine. A Better camera and a proper set up to take pictures is definitely on my list :p

• Like 1