Sign in to follow this  
Shogun

Stonehaven gnomes

I like 'em! Many of your photos are the first I've seen of painted examples of those particular sculpts.

I think they all came out great! Well done!

Move the camera farther away and don't use macro. I've been reading blogs and such for a lot of the pros and a lot don't use macros at all, place the camera a few feet away and don't completely use the zoom. I started doing the same and have been getting much better results.

I think by not using the macro some details get lost but what's lost isn't what's sculpted but what's painted so your blending looks better and such.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words. Might even try shoot some minis on my 200mm lens! They don't seem super clear even with f22 and Iso 800 ill keep mucking around with it. I didn't use a magnifier but I have plenty of gnomes left so will try on afew to see how I like it.

If there's any painting techniques ,advice etc i would be grateful

Thanks for the kind words. Might even try shoot some minis on my 200mm lens! They don't seem super clear even with f22 and Iso 800 ill keep mucking around with it. I didn't use a magnifier but I have plenty of gnomes left so will try on afew to see how I like it.

If there's any painting techniques ,advice etc i would be grateful

I like them the way they are, I wouldn't do too much more to them, especially the gnome and dwarf rangers.

However, perhaps one more round of highliting, especially on the hair, cloaks, and tunics might give them a bit more "pop".

It would require just a very light touch though. Less is more and all that.

• Like 2

You've given them a lot of personality. They look great!

I agree with Darsc. A little more highlighting on the light areas might give them a little more dimensionality. But just a little.

• Like 1

Wow wee, thanks, it's crazy to get painters of this level giving me props. The gnome ranger was by far the best paint job I did on the little buggers :p thanks again

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diehardminiatures/diehard-miniatures-wizards-and-their-magics

Story
          Our funding level wizards sculpted, cast and ready to buy! Kronos of Kree does battle with Marina the Water Mage Emilia the Promethean Sorceress takes on Zeph the Majestic!
    • By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/halflings-gone-bad-volume-two/description

Story
      The world of Alberon, as ancient and unknowable as its timeless depths are, has few certainties for those that live in it, but ruin and corruption awaits all but a blessed few.  Halflings are, of course, no exception...
      The Western Wastelands beyond Midlam are a harsh unforgiving environment, that breeds a fierceness through necessity for survival alone.  It is thought that the first halflings to enter the Wastelands, did so unwillingly, captured by Hobgoblin Raiders some several hundred years ago.  
      It is reported that the Hogoblins thought that their small size would make them useful servants for all manner of tasks, but when the monstrous and unstoppable nature of their appetites became apparent, the halflings were stranded in the middle of the wasteland and left them to die.  
      That they didn't is some testament to the hidden reserves and ingenuity of these small folk, but they have not survived unscathed.  Their souls, often forsaken to unknowable gods, have changed as much as their bodies and minds.
      As a counterpoint to the Wasteland halflings, those that inhabit the town have found unusual niches, whether that be as criminal masterminds, pirates, anarchists, grave robbers and the somewhat cliched, but ever problematical, burglars.
      An Excerpt from 'The Robbit' by The Wizard R.R.R. Gudgrief
      Welcome to Halflings Gone Bad - Volume One!
      A collection of sixteen 28mm scale halflings from the wrong side of the elven forest tracks, for all of your fantasy miniature games.
      Welcome to our second Kickstarter to cover some of the more nefarious occupations and depths that halflings have stooped to.
      The worrying nature of the appearance of wasteland halflings, something seen as a threat to all halfling civilisation, combined with the new depths of depravity of halflings in Midlam has called for a new town council to be convened from amongst the artisans and workers of Halftown.
    • By EvilJames
      I painted this guy up for D&D to be my Warlock. Sadly it may be some time before he fills that role again. Photos still look a bit washed out. :( The Base should look like floorboards and they do in person.
    • By Rigel
      I've had this one in the works for a while. She's a little more cheerful and Art Noveau than most of the rest of my Miskatonic staff, but that's okay! Misk.U. cultivates eccentrics of all types. She seems to be handling the job just fine. And those pointed ears indicate she's already survived a brush with chaos, or perhaps has a little bit of eldritch in her. 

Her colleagues are a Stonehaven halfling librarian and a Black Cat librarian/cultist. Gave them both a minor touch-up for this shoot.
    • By Rigel
      "Fond of bright colors, chiefly green and yellow," as Tolkien described his hobbits.
      Stonehaven does some incredibly character-rich sculpts, and this is one such. This lady is full of vim, vigor, optimism, and a can-do attitude! 

I imagine her as maybe the irrepressible kid sister of a grown adventurer, who has heard stories of adventure and wants to be a part of things. (Big sister played by Daschelle, 44009 )

• Who's Online   7 Members, 1 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)