Questions About the Kickstarter, now that it is over

Reaperbryan

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something new (at least for me ^_^ ) on the Pledge Manager.

Dark Sword Painting DVD Bundle

Two DVD sets from Dark Sword Miniatures. The Jen Haley and Anne Foerster Masterworks Miniature Painting 3 DVD Set and Marike Reimer Masterworks Miniature Painting 4 DVD set. Normally $100 for both sets, they can be yours for only $50.

Can anybody tell me how useful those sets are for someone who paints mostly Tabletop-Quality but aims to learn more?

Wait, what? When did this happen?

Have you people no respect for my finances!?

• Like 3

Any idea when PayPal will be an option? I've already got it loaded and ready! Gonna hit the $400 mark after all.

Now.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads-up. I finalized my order and it was a breeze. I even threw in a second DDS2, the water elementals and all the paints. The deals are just to good to miss.

Between the mountain of stuff I already have, the 12 days of Reaper goodness that's coming, and the Kickstarter...I'll soon need to add-on to my house just to store all this!

Again, how are Khanjiira/DDSII shipping? I know that things from the last KS were sent in cardboard boxes because pistol cases/plastics were too expensive for the price point... will that be different, since both of these top 100$? It's not so much an issue with Khanjiira, since he will glue together into one big piece, but some way to keep DDS together and unbroken would be really nice...

Alternatively, any recommendations on what to get so that we can transport these fellows? Not looking forwards to lugging Big N and her house across campus... Perhaps a wheelbarrow?

So Bryan said they want to focus on "smaller projects that we've always wanted to do..." instead of a bones 3 kickstarter. this brings to mind the question, would that be some more of the bigger figures like Kanjira that would not be feasible in metal/without pre-gauging interest, or would that be other games like Reich of the Dead that seems to have been planned, but never released?

I know this probably won't get answered, but felt that it would probably help to chime in the opinion that I'd probably back either.

Also, Aard_Rinn, I would look at getting a luggage dolly and some Steralite show-offs boxes, like these ( http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=645&ProductCategory=254&section=1 ) to store and transport some of the larger figures in, Kanjira might not fit this particular one, but there are other options.

I would guess that the larger models would come in their own boxes. However, they only fit in those boxes when they are disassembled. In fact getting Kaladrax to fit back into his box was a bit of a puzzle anyway. So I'm not sure that knowing that they will or won't have their own boxes is probably not going to help you.

• Like 1

There is something new (at least for me ^_^ ) on the Pledge Manager.

Dark Sword Painting DVD Bundle

Two DVD sets from Dark Sword Miniatures. The Jen Haley and Anne Foerster Masterworks Miniature Painting 3 DVD Set and Marike Reimer Masterworks Miniature Painting 4 DVD set. Normally $100 for both sets, they can be yours for only $50.

Can anybody tell me how useful those sets are for someone who paints mostly Tabletop-Quality but aims to learn more?

I will second this, having just got my email inviting me to the pledge manager, and being surprised and slightly confused by the sudden appearance of these dvds (was there an update on this? I didn't get it), and I will add a question that may verge on a rant:

How useful are dvds about painting Dark Sword pewter miniatures going to be for people learning to paint Reaper Bones plastic? I would be tremendously interested in a dvd series in which the professionals show us how to turn Bones into works of beauty, but I am assuming that there ain't no Bones in these dvds.

Am I overreacting?

Edited by Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Probably. Most of the techniques should be the same. Prep and stuff are different, and Bones are easier in that you can bend bits out of the way, but there's no difference other than that past the basecoat. Blending is blending, layering is layering, and so forth.

• Like 3

How useful are dvds about painting Dark Sword pewter miniatures going to be for people learning to paint Reaper Bones plastic? I would be tremendously interested in a dvd series in which the professionals show us how to turn Bones into works of beauty, but I am assuming that there ain't no Bones in these dvds.

Am I overreacting?

I'd say you are overreacting. The DVD's I've heard teach people how to paint any miniatures not just the Dark Sword brand. The only difference will be that you are painting plastic minis instead of pewter so you don't NEED to prime them beforehand. You still need to make sure all the mold lines are removed and the minis are washed, but the techniques will be the same.

I was also surprised to see them in the pledge calculator, but not in a bad way. I've heard nothing but good things about these specific DVD's and Reaper allowing backers to get them at a substantial discount (50%) is nothing but a good thing. They listened to their backers in the comments section where people were asking for LTPK's and "how to guides" to be put in as stretch goals, they did the next best thing and are offering these DVD's for people to be able to pick up and learn to paint or even learn to paint better.

• Like 2

I just wish that once you locked in the DVDs in the pledge, there was an option to pay the "extra" shipping amount to have them delivered sooner. Even getting them in March or April would be better than September. Having been in Bones I, the You Tube videos on painting are good, but I have heard these are much better. Even at the discounted price, I am probably not going to order them.