Questions About the Kickstarter, now that it is over

Reaperbryan

Will the really big sculpts like Khanjira be made of regular bones material or a combination of hard and soft bones material?

I ask because I have had some issues with big sculpts like Deathsleet being all wobbly under its own weight.

Also with Khanjira, did you have any issues with WOTC on the sculpt? I had read somewhere recently that they had gone after a Kickstarter that was making a large Tarrasque model because it was nearly identical to the "official" look of the monster.

Thank you for an excellent Kickstarter!

Ok, well, first, Terrasque as a word/monster name is mythological in origin, and as such is public domain, just like the words troll or orc. Second, our art is not known to resemble any such WotC or other company owned art - it is wholly ours, made for hire by one of our freelancers. Third - we aren't producing a Terrasque, despite consumer claims. It is marketed and labeled as a Kaiju - a large, city destroying monster found in the monster books of many RPGs and also popular media. Kaiju is also a Public Domain concept, by the way, and our version is just one among thousands. Yet, If you want to call it a terrasque, you may. If you want to call it a demon, you may. If you want to call it Steve, you may. What a model is called and/or used as on your tabletop is no business of ours, and we respect your imagination.

Further, WotC has the right to protect their IP. We are familiar with the project in question, and here's our position. WotC clearly felt that the art was infringing on their IP, and they took action. This is within their right, and we ourselves work to protect our IP when it is violated, and respect that right. Should a Court actually rule, then we will know whether they were correct (legally) or incorrect (legally) to do so - but they have a right to *try* to protect their IP. We contend that in this specific project, the look was visually similar enough for their legal team to decide it was worth trying to protect, and that it is within their legal rights to do so. We make no judgement or claim whether we agree or disagree with their decision, only that they are within their rights to challenge what they perceive to be IP violations.

"A Terrasque" is not IP. A specific visual interpretation - or any sculpt or art designed to be a clear imitation - is IP. If somebody produced a Khanjira that looked like ours only larger/smaller, we'd fight to protect our IP also.

For reference, I'd like to link to the official TSR Version, the 3.x Version, The 4e Version, the Paizo Version, and the model we have produced. Now, I'd like to reference images from the Kickstarter in question. Now, armed with these images, all are free to armchair lawyer and decide if IP was being potentially improperly used, or not. That Discussion WILL NOT TAKE PLACE IN THIS THREAD, however. But please note that the first 5 pictures share similarities, but are in fact visually and legally distinct.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe an oddball, but I'm curious:

Even though he was already released, was there any thought to adding in Sir Forscale, especially when people were clamorning for him?

I know a lot of people were asking, I was actually hoping, but I really did understand that maybe it couldn't be done, simply because Reaper would be re-releasing something that already been available for a while.

• Like 2

Maybe an oddball, but I'm curious:

Even though he was already released, was there any thought to adding in Sir Forscale, especially when people were clamorning for him?

I know a lot of people were asking, I was actually hoping, but I really did understand that maybe it couldn't be done, simply because Reaper would be re-releasing something that already been available for a while.

Shot in the dark here:

I had figured that the original Sir Forscale is in a mold that has many items not covered by this KS. So, to include him would mean to either a.) waste a lot of time to use the existing mold to print thousands of him and him alone from that mold, or b.) recreate him in a new mold developed for this KS. Even though I'm guessing that the second would be more viable, it'd mean giving up valuable mold space to a duplicate figure.

Now, if they wanted to, say, do a repose of Sir Forscale, so that he would functionally be a different figure of the same character, that'd likely solve the problem fiscally. But, if they were going to do that, they'd likely want to have it done before the KS started, so that they could include his new pose for scale on the pictures and promos. Though I guess that'd be easy enough to do retroactively. It'd be really awesome to have him posed differently for future KS, too. We could collect him like Sophie...

• Like 1

Ok, well, first, Terrasque as a word/monster name is mythological in origin, and as such is public domain, just like the words troll or orc. Second, our art is not known to resemble any such WotC or other company owned art - it is wholly ours, made for hire by one of our freelancers. Third - we aren't producing a Terrasque, despite consumer claims. It is marketed and labeled as a Kaiju - a large, city destroying monster found in the monster books of many RPGs and also popular media. Kaiju is also a Public Domain concept, by the way, and our version is just one among thousands. Yet, If you want to call it a terrasque, you may. If you want to call it a demon, you may. If you want to call it Steve, you may. What a model is called and/or used as on your tabletop is no business of ours, and we respect your imagination.

I am totally calling it Steve, now.

On topic:

Will any of the core set (the skeleton on the throne, in particular) come in multiple parts, or are we going to have to un-glue them again?

• Like 1

Once all the post kickstarter pledges are done and everything has been tallied up from the pledge manager for the final time, will you make public what the final dollar amount pledged really was?

Not likely.

I am totally calling it Steve, now.

On topic:

Will any of the core set (the skeleton on the throne, in particular) come in multiple parts, or are we going to have to un-glue them again?

As last time, Most of the Core will be assembled, most of the Options will not.

Bryan,

When do you think we can expect an update on the kickstarter site with sculpt pics?

From the Kickstarter FAQ

We will be making an Update on the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month until we have completed fulfillment. We will make this update, even if it is to report nothing has changed.

• Like 2

Further, WotC has the right to protect their IP.

Not just that, but as I understand it they are obligated to protect their IP, or they can lose exclusivity.

For example, if someone else made a Drizzt miniature and WotC was aware, they would need to take action to protect their claim to the character. If they failed to do so, the company could (legally) lose the exlusive IP rights to the Drizzt character. It may seem like the "big guy" is bullying the "little guy", but sometimes IP laws are contingent upon some of that behavior.

Were there any plans for more Expansions (#4+) during Bones II, or were the first three the only ones planned (given they were a new twist on the campaign)?

• Like 5

Just a rough estimate, I was curious as to how many more stretch goals you had if we reached a higher number than the bit over Pi? I don't mean specifics about WHAT stretch goals, just a general idea of the "best case, we break tons of crazy records" kinds of goals you had thought up.

On the topic of breaking all the records, do you plan out what the end goals are regardless of how high it gets? For example - had the total been in the 5m range, would we have gotten more basic figures and ended on DDSII, Khanjira, and the Thank you? Or would those have been placed where they are and then followed by other stuff?

I suspect the former, but am curious.

• Like 2