Ask Reaperbryan Anything*!

Reaperbryan

Kant, Freud, or Kierkegaard?

Jung

Or Tomas Aquinas?

Secular Humanism, yes? Yes.

Jung over Freud, I approve. Tomas Aquinas a secular humanist? Nooooooot... so... much... no ;) But he is at the opposite end of the medieval Christian spectrum from the Mystics, so you can read him as an early but direct ancestor of modern thought, a little like reading Kierkegaard as an Existentialist, rather than Christian, thinker - since he was both, and probably more important to the former than the latter. Theoretically, a devout Catholic and a dry secular humanist should both be able to appreciate Aquinas as a thinker; I'm neither and I do. But I'm a dabbler, I can't claim to have read any sizable chunks of the Summae Theologica, for example.

Do you have a specific interest in the history of thought, or are you more inclined to wonder why anyone would even bother to ask such an obscure question?

• Like 2

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jung

Or Tomas Aquinas?

Jung over Freud, I approve. Tomas Aquinas a secular humanist? Nooooooot... so... much... no ;) But he is at the opposite end of the medieval Christian spectrum from the Mystics, so you can read him as an early but direct ancestor of modern thought, a little like reading Kierkegaard as an Existentialist, rather than Christian, thinker - since he was both, and probably more important to the former than the latter. Theoretically, a devout Catholic and a dry secular humanist should both be able to appreciate Aquinas as a thinker; I'm neither and I do. But I'm a dabbler, I can't claim to have read any sizable chunks of the Summae Theologica, for example.

Do you have a specific interest in the history of thought, or are you more inclined to wonder why anyone would even bother to ask such an obscure question?

Yeah, I was like, "Saint Thomas Aquinas? Secular? Swhhaaaaaa?" Not what I've read of his.

At least he didn't say Nietzche.... :unsure:

Soo ReaperBryan. How do you like the direction your thread has taken?

It's avoided a few things I would have expected to see, but not out of the ordinary for an AMA

Jung

Or Tomas Aquinas?

Clearly confused as to who Aquinas was. That's why the ? was there, though. Philosophy in general was beyond me. It's cool and all, but not my style. Not particularly. I was a history major in college, but not interested in philosophy - except where it specifically caused waves in history. Wasn't the kind of history student that viewed history through the lens of current philosophical trends. Considering I never graduated, I wasn't a very good student, though, so whatever.

Soo ReaperBryan. How do you like the direction your thread has taken?

It's avoided a few things I would have expected to see, but not out of the ordinary for an AMA

That's because I am being a good boy!

Yeah. Well, Limiting it to non-work related keeps people form asking me about industry secrets. But I'm still a little surprised about the lack of certain categories of question.

"Zombies": slow-moving like in walking dead or fast-moving like in world war Z? which do you prefer to see in a movie/tv show? and which do you feel is more likely/realistic?

In the zombie novel I failed at finishing for NaNoWriMo in 2010 they were slow. For realistic, I like WWZ (book) approach, that at first they have extrahuman capacities - the bodies are fresh, but feel no pain so can push beyond normal limits, then as decay sets in, their effectiveness diminishes.

What categories of question did you expect to see that you haven't?

Now that'd just open up a can of worms and people would actually start bringing those categories up, so it might be in Bryan's best interest not to tell us what he doesn't want to talk about.

• Like 2

Yeah. Well, Limiting it to non-work related keeps people form asking me about industry secrets. But I'm still a little surprised about the lack of certain categories of question.

Ok, you asked for it.

Boxers or Briefs?

And: Superhero or day of the week?

come to think of it, I'm not sure I actually want to know.... so these are rhetorical questions for humor purposes only.

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 4

Here's something I'm curious about: Is there a story behind your "me" figure that Reaper sells, or did one of the sculptors just decide to sculpt a couple of the Reaper folks? I'm assuming that it was sculpted pre-Hat?

Also, is said miniature related to your forum title of Living Miniature?

Huzzah!
--OneBoot :D

Here's something I'm curious about: Is there a story behind your "me" figure that Reaper sells, or did one of the sculptors just decide to sculpt a couple of the Reaper folks? I'm assuming that it was sculpted pre-Hat?

Huzzah!

Actually there are figures for a number of the Reaper folk. I think Bryan's is the most obvious.

• Like 1

What categories of question did you expect to see that you haven't?

I had expected more specific and personal questions. less random odd stuff.

Ok, you asked for it.

Boxers or Briefs?

And: Superhero or day of the week?

come to think of it, I'm not sure I actually want to know.... so these are rhetorical questions for humor purposes only.

Boxers.

I do not understand the second question?

Huzzah!

It was sculpted pre-hat. It was given to me a few ReaperCons back as a tribute, similarly to how others have received a mini of themselves. And yes, for a long time my avatar was of the copy of the mini of me painted by my wife, until Naponatom's brilliant vision supplanted it.

Zombies. Undead and decaying, or diseased and rabid, but still technically alive?

Undead and decaying.

Now here is my conundrum, if I explain what I meant, I might get an answer... while an answer isn't what I was looking for.

However, for the sake of clarity, I was asking which type of under-roos are typical. Like ones with designs of Super heros, or ones with each day of the week listed on them (Or maybe they just made those for girls).

Now, I shall flee from this thread.

• Like 2