New Learn to Paint sets with Bones?

Mindwizard

I would love to see a resurrection of the Learn to paint line, but with the far more affordable "Reaper Bones"reaper-learn-to-paint-kit-5-600x600.jpg

An example of one of the Learn to paint Sets!

I'd love to start with Bones it's far cheaper then metal mini's. I currently had a friend donate the money for the core set. Yet still moving on.

From what I am aware this line is out of print. I feel it needs a revival with the Bones line. The old ones are still a steal with the things they came with. ( 2 minis, 10 PAINTS, 2 brushes, and a guide; Also since these are old the paint might be bad no idea about paint self life.) So I feel it would be a great marketing decision to reboot this line with bones since it would be cheaper to produce by a bit then metal.

What are your thoughts?

I plan on buying a few of the older sets if I can

Also:

Undead-Paint-Set.jpeg

Mantric gives more mini's but not as many paints and only one brush.

"Mantric" a separate miniature model company has some great sets, but sadly they don't come with as much paint or the extra brush. They do give you extra mini's.

Though I'm using them as a EXAMPLE of a currently running line of "How to paint" sets.

What do you think reaper should do. I like the Classic Boxed HTP sets as well Though those are far more expensive.

Thanks Everyone. Let's hope we can find a new way for people to get into this hobby. :)

Edited by Mindwizard
  • Like 1

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The scarcity of the learn to paint kits is due to a brush shortage due to some government regulations that's affecting the import of sable brushes. Reaper is trying to source out a new supply of quality brushes.

I haven't heard of that I am not one in the art world. Is there an article on it?

I really only have experience with decalling Gundam/Robot models with a paint marker. I wanted to get a set like ones above. Explain further I suppose. Thanks for the info.

Do you think the Bones LTP sets are inevitable though.

I'm a total noob at this. So I only have a small basis of knowledge on brushes.

92001.jpg

This line was the one I was also talking about.

http://www.miniature-giant.com/learn-to-paint-kits-Reaper-c-857.html

This online shop seems to still carry some of them.

Vs the green blisters how was the blue box/blister sets?

Edited by Mindwizard

The scarcity of the learn to paint kits is due to a brush shortage due to some government regulations that's affecting the import of sable brushes. Reaper is trying to source out a new supply of quality brushes.

In short, they're not out of print - just running scarce until we see some new brushes.

We've been agitating for fresh paint kits since before KS I was delivered; the answer was, for a while, SOON, but it's since gone silent. Either they're not sure about the feasability of new, Bones LTPKs and don't want to tell us, or they're planning a December surprise for the Christmas season.

We were hoping for the December surprise last year, though... so don't plan on getting one for every relative. ^_^

Those Mantic kits are interesting looking - the bottles look like Reaper droppers, but "Warpaints" are Army Painter products (I thought)... and those definitely aren't Army Painter droppers. Do Mantic do their own paints, as well?

I wanted to get a set like ones above.

1, 3, 4, and 5 are still available in the online store. Only 2 is out.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/LearnToPaintKits/latest

92001.jpg

This line was the one I was also talking about.

http://www.miniature-giant.com/learn-to-paint-kits-Reaper-c-857.html

This online shop seems to still carry some of them.

Vs the green blisters how was the blue box/blister sets?

I'm afraid I have no experience with the blue box sets... however, I would not recommend getting LTPKs from anyone other than Reaper, as older stock may have dried paint or come with the sample strips.

Buglips had one of the blue box sets, I think, he may be able to add more when he's not hip deep in C'thulhu.

Edited by Last Knight

Those Mantic kits are interesting looking - the bottles look like Reaper droppers, but "Warpaints" are Army Painter products (I thought)... and those definitely aren't Army Painter droppers. Do Mantic do their own paints, as well?

From what I have checked out Mantic does. I've only seen a bit I don't know the legality of posting competing companies here. Yet They are far cheaper then Reapers Paints BUT don't have as much variety. They do however make some cool minuatures imho.

2535.1.600.600.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

Honestly though I don't know I just find the Paint Kits to be an affordable option for most people. Also a good starting point in general.

Mantic has an official set of clippers and glue too. Though honestly I don't know much about it.

I know Reaper has amazing paints though.

update

You know what I saw that before and COMPLETELY forgot about it, I apologize. Yeah I'd have to ask around about other more trust worthy salers. I'd stick with reaper as I know I am guaranteed a proper item/condition etc.

Edited by Mindwizard
  • Like 1

Reapers talked about it about the brush situation, and its been referenced several times, but I don't recall which thread it was in.

The Mantic paints are made by Army Painter, the bottles I have for both are identical. They're slightly taller bottles than Reapers, but according to their labels they hold the same amount of paint.

Personally, I find the Mantic/Army Paints to be thinner than even Reapers. They're too thin forr my style of painting, I prefer Reapers paints.

The Hobby-Que sets have all been discontinued last I checked. The only ones currently in production are the ones you can find in the online store here, Kits 1-5.

The Hobby-Que sets were interesting, but aimed at a different demographic more as "craft" kits. As far as I know, they didn't come with full bottles of anything, just the little strip like you find in paint-by-numbers.

Any of these you find for sale are very likely dried up and useless by now, but the learner kits on here in the online store come with fresh, full bottles.

A Bones learner kit is a popular request and something Reaper has at least considered. We have no concrete information at this time. If I were to guess, it's unlikely any will appear until the brush sourcing issue is resolved at the very earliest.

• Like 1

Reapers talked about it about the brush situation, and its been referenced several times, but I don't recall which thread it was in.

The Mantic paints are made by Army Painter, the bottles I have for both are identical. They're slightly taller bottles than Reapers, but according to their labels they hold the same amount of paint.

Personally, I find the Mantic/Army Paints to be thinner than even Reapers. They're too thin forr my style of painting, I prefer Reapers paints.

I have Army Painter warpaints - quite a number, actually, land I just ordered the rest of their current line. ^_^ I actually find them quite thick, but when water is added they become far too thin... their colour line is limited, comparatively, but good for basics.

Those bottles pictured, that say "Warpaints for Wargames Models"? Not the Army Painter bottles I have, which are - as you said - taller than Reaper dropper bottles. (Cheaper for the bottle, and a large bottle... pretty decent. But I also like Reaper stuff, and ordered um... 20... MSPs and all of the HDs I didn't have. Which was... 20... at the same time as I ordered the rest of the Warpaints.)

• Like 1

Awesome to hear that slendertroll!

Ok cool, that clears things up; but what does this have to do with brushes?

I mean does this apply to all the brushes in the market. Or the "Sable" Brand or composition used in them. Could you please explain that.

Thanks for the info about the paint kits and such.

I hope they do get around to making bones kits as well one day.
I think it's be popular.

9962.jpg

As for sets of Paint I am looking into this. Sorry If I am mixing two topics. Yet I'd like to find out more about the different paint lines.

From what I was told HD is very bright and colorful and that's cool with me. Though after starting with set's 1-5 or so I want to invest in one of these.

Or from the other paint line. Not for sure.

Edited by Mindwizard

The HD paints have a higher density of colored pigment, which theoretically makes them better for basecoating. I haven't used them myself, but I've heard they're pretty interchangeable with regular Reaper paints.

"Sable" is the type of hair that many paintbrushes (including the top of the line ones) are made of. It comes, I believe, from the butt hair of a certain type of weasel, which do not live in the United States, and so must all be imported. The import laws recently changed, resulting in a shortage of the better quality brushes.

• Like 3

Okay, Mindwizard...

"Sable" brushes are so called because of their composition, which is fur, from sables, a type of weasel. Natural fur brushes are the best, specifically the fur from the tail and hindquarters of the animal. You'll hear us refer to this as "weasel butt fur" for, well, obvious reasons. Due to a change in US law, importing sable fur, or sable fur brushes, has suddenly become worlds more difficult. Reaper brushes use red sable, a lot of the high end brushes you'll see people recommend - Winsor & Newton Series 7 being the most common - use Kolinsky sable, but they're both having the same issues right now.

The MSP High Density, or HD line, is pretty packed with pigment, and does produce a bright colour; it also covers in one or two coats, and is perfect for laying down base coats - especially on Bones. It will also play nicely with the regular Master Series Paint line, which is nice since that one is better for layering - using very thin coats to raise or lower the color across the mini, for shading and highlighting effects.

That case you pictured, I actually just ordered as part of my Great Paint Splurge (I had credit card rewards points... it's like spending the same money twice). I'll let you know how it is when I get it, but the current HD paints I have - all of the currently available flesh colours, plus Gem Purple - are wonderful, and I like them a lot.

• Like 3

I bought my Mantic/Army Painter bottles about 3 years ago now. I wonder if there's been a change in their formulation since then to make them thicker?

Typically the brands i find that go from from thicker to thinner are:

Citadel

Vallejo

Reaper

Mantic/Army Painter

I've used P3 inks and washes, but not their paints. I've never used Coat d' Arms. So I didn't include those on my list.

I bought my Mantic/Army Painter bottles about 3 years ago now. I wonder if there's been a change in their formulation since then to make them thicker?

Typically the brands i find that go from from thicker to thinner are:

Citadel

Vallejo

Reaper

Mantic/Army Painter

I've used P3 inks and washes, but not their paints. I've never used Coat d' Arms. So I didn't include those on my list.

I got mine last spring, so... maybe?

I've used P3s, I would rate them as thicker than Reaper (but less thick than Army Painter)... about equal with the Citadel paints I've used, although those were the black flip-top hex bottles rather than the current line.