NissaCam

03321: Damien - Modified Bones

Very wonderful job! The eyes look very nice, the detail on his face is coming through well, and you even did some excellent sculpting on the base! Keep it up and you'll be a superb painter in no time!

• Like 1

Looks great Nissa. :) I love the almost denim effect you managed on his pants, and all your little handmade details really sell the base. Fantastic eyes, as well.

• Like 1

Wow. Your greenstuff sculpting is awesome, considering you're just now trying it. I have a heck of a time wrangling the stuff.

Your layers look about like mine did when I started experimenting. Here's what I've learned: For your layering, thin your paints a bit more. I go with about three to four drops of thinner (50/50 acrylic medium/water) to one drop of paint for my layers. You could even thin further (I probably should). Wick away excess paint. If it's a highlight, paint towards the lightest point, if it's a shadow, paint into the darkest area. That'll smooth out your highlights a lot.

• Like 2

Thanks so much, guys. I really appreciate all the kind words.

With regards to the GS - yup, first try. I did a little fimo sculpting as a kid, but nothing this intricate or tiny. It feels like cheating a little, though, because the particular items I chose to sculpt were really easy.

I didn't know any of the useful tips for sculpting with GS I've read up on since, so my method was kind of ridiculous. I used a ziplock freezer bag as a work surface so nothing would stick, and a bit of water to help that along/smooth out my fingerprints. A dull craft knife was my tool of choice. Basically the two big books were just thin sheets of GS flattened under my thumb and then cut into rectangles - thicker, slightly larger ones for the covers, and around three thinner, smaller ones for the pages. For the folded book, I stacked the pages, folded them in half, chopped a bit off the back and folded the cover around them. Then a thin line near the spine to mark the binding.

For the flat book, I stacked the three pages, warped them a bit to look curved open and pressed a line down the middle, then stuck them to the cover. Scrolls were pretty much the same, just rolled into tubes and then one corner massaged a tiny bit to curl outwards.

Painting really made all the difference - lining between the pages to give them depth and such.

JackMann - I'll try that, thank you. I was pretty happy with the highlights on raised sections (compared to my previous work, not compared to some of the amazing versions of Damien I've seen online and goggled at), but the back of that coat, man... I had no idea what I was doing.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for explaining that, I want to try it now!

2 posts and you're showing pics and detailing the process. I like you!

• Like 2

He looks great. I also love the work you did on the base.

My personal plan for this mini is to remove his staff and replace it with an electric guitar. Instead of a demon I totally see his as a rock star fit for Shadowrun.

• Like 4

I'll chime in with a welcome and some compliments as well -- I agree that this is an impressive first outing for greenstuff! I try to avoid using it, since I just usually make an unholy mess when I try to do anything more extreme than a bit of patching up. That base is nice work, and it looks like you've got some nice painting tips for moving forward. I'll add to the above that blacklining doesn't necessarily need to be done literally; that is, it doesn't always have to be black. Very dark shades work as well (and the "liner" paints in the Reaper Master Series line are designed to shine in this application). I find that dark browns (Walnut, Brown Liner) tend to look a little less stark than true black while providing the same amount of definition, and as you play with them more you'll find other colors you like to use as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next!

• Like 1

I really like the conversion you did here. Gives me some ideas for other types of bones conversions that I'll probably be making in the near future. Great job, welcome to the forum, and please keep posting pics of your works!

• Like 1