Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
Newbie post. I've only painted half a dozen or so figures so far, but I'm enjoying myself, and that counts, right?!
She's painted with a mix of Reaper MSP and Vallejo Game Color. I haven't done so yet, but I think I'd like to start chronicling the colors I use for each future mini.
30001 Lysette, Elven Mage
Hello everyone, I enjoyed painting the new Bones USA Lysette. I think on this one I tried to go for glowing Irises with a yellow green color, but perhaps against a white eye it's not as noticeable until you zoom in. I''m happy to see the other Bones USA so far seem to have quite high detail. especially the Leprechaun and the mouse on Darius the Wizard, so I look forward to painting those as well.
Got another one in, but still some work to do.
This is the new USA Bones material. I found that the texture of this plastic is really nice to work on. A bit stiffer, which I prefer akin to the Bones Black more than classic bones. Cleaning it was not as fun as it seems to shred more than peel away. It doesn't take well to scraping, but if you're cutting into it, it's fine. Areas that were difficult were the hands, under the arm, and the staff. Overall the model was very clean considering how little flash was on it. Definitely liking this new stuff. It takes to primer like a dream! If I listened really carefully I could hear the plastic soaking in the primer. Love it.
* Stuck to a simplified color scheme - Reds, purples and blues. The blue turned out a bit too strong and I could have mixed more purple into it, but overall I like the colors.
* The careful detail around the skin tones was fun. Used same skin tones with more highlight than I did with Jakob. As 'mannish' as the skin looks, I still think the blend and learning to use the new colors was the win.
* Sticking to layers in cape and blending a wet purple into the red was really fun. Learned that next time should be purple as the base and blend in red as the higher color. Purple gets lost in red. Yet the color blend looks pretty cool!
* Being more careful in the detail on the hands and only doing topical highlights was really effective.
* Coloring copper base layer with red first then topping with metallic copper worked well!
* Using white to bring out edge-highlight of the gem in her scepter worked cool, too.
* Dude looks like a lady. Or vice versa. Her skin and face resemble more man-like detail. I'll have to work on the colors.
* Eye details had a very raccoon look to them, so I had to go back in with a 2nd highlight. Glad Idid it, but really made me feel like it was going to lead to a mistake.
* Hair is still a big area of opportunity for me. I did it better this time, but finding the areas that light hits it and bringing them out is still a big struggle.
* I couldn't figure out how to make the belted area and all those straps stand out. HELP!
* The sword...what the heck do I do to help make those two metals work better together. As I mentioned in my other works, I need to figure out how to NMM.
* Runes on scabbard look more like an afterthought than a purposeful move. Bah.
Always open to feedback and thoughts. Lay em on me.