77076 Autumn Lysette

Corporea

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done! She looks lovely. Her skirt is nicely done, and I really like the leaves!

As for her face, the only thing I can think of is one or two very light glazes with the midtone skin color. I usually start with a 6:1 water to paint ratio, adding more water as needed to get a very loose mixture. Think skim milk cut in half with water and well stirred. Be sure to wipe almost all of it off before touching the brush to model or the glaze will go everywhere (nooks, crannies, flat surfaces, I mean everywhere), though it isn't the end of the world since there is so little pigment to put down. I use it when my highlighting gets chalky or to correct a harsh transition zone in a blend.

• Like 2

Very beautiful. I see what you mean by the stippling on the face and it is strange as you don't have it else where. First, let me say it looks cool as it is, makes me think of a Monet. However, some possibilities:

1. It could be technique. Are you using the tip of the brush to paint the face? If so, try using the side of the tip, especially for the skin areas and pull the layers across the face instead of dabbing them on with the tip.

2. How thick is your paint? If the paint is too thick or too old, you can get this effect; however, I think #1 appears to be the most likely cause.

The gown is fantastic, by the way.

Andy

• Like 2

Love the color scheme, nice pop on the corset. Great depth of color on that dress! I like how your highlight smoothed out the side of the mouth, I tend to paint that as a scowl...and sure enough, this sculpt was conducive to that!

I was getting a lot of, er, texture...on the face and I'm getting better about that. I was using paint that was a wee bit too thick and overworking it. I'm still a long way from where I want to be, but I'm moving in a good direction with it.

I use the side of the tip, I didn't think about the angle of my brush until someone said something in the magnification thread about poking themself with the brush, mine is generally something like 60 degrees from my face, so even when I'm using the tip, it's a side stroke.

• Like 1

Gorgeous yellow on that dress and the blue compliments it nicely.

On the face stippling I'd also think that you might be changing your stroke direction or you might be short pulling your strokes...dotting instead of pulling through.

Loth

• Like 1

She looks great, and I love the freehand leaves on the hem of her dress! ::):

I still tend to get too much texture on some of my faces, and I tend to attribute that to working with the paint on the miniature for too long. In other words, I am working so slowly and carefully that my paint starts to half-dry while I'm still working it. With everything else on the mini, I usually work quicker and don't end up with quite so much texture.

However, I invariable get some texture here and there, and I try to fix it by applying a relatively thick layer of Reaper's Brush-On Sealant to the area. Since it is clear, it doesn't really obscure the colors, but it does smooth out the texture enough that a few corrective layers of paint usually go on very well over the sealant.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.