Speculation: CAV Bones Kickstarter

Bonwirn

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if we (Reaper) make a box game... what all goes into it? Well, first off, we need to identify our target audience. Which is.... people who are looking for a box game and who may or may not (most likely) have all the "implements" to play a game.

1) grid (hex-based) or gridless (tape measure)

2) Bones figures (doh!) which ones?

3) Dice, colored, faction specific, generic, grab bag?

4) terrain, how much/how big/what made of... will determine box size. Cardboard terrain folds "flat", Bones terrain would be AWESOME!... (maybe the Bones terrain is a strecth goal and comes in it's own box, also ready for retail shelves as an expansion option?

5) Rule book, of course....

6) Reaper Catalog

7) Scenario guide with "campaigns" and linked battles as well as stand alone missions (and free for all suggestions).

8) counters, markers, smoke screen cover...

9) ??

Help me out here...

• Like 1

1) open table

2) 2 sets of four open market attack CAVs

3) four d10, color indifferent

4) wouldn't bother with terrain, would only serve to increase box size and if the goal is to get it on shelves, retailers already don't have much shelf space; offer terrain separately

5) must be hardcopy

6) unnecessarily increases production cost and is rendered obsolete after a few months; point them to the website

7) campaigns are generally indicative of more advance players, not saying it couldn't be included, but not necessarily your intended audience

8) depends on what version, CAV2 doesn't really use a lot of token, status markers, etc

9) it better be darned good because you have to replace the revenue generated by the people and equipment you pulled off producing DHL and Bones fantasy

• Like 1

I would say the minimum would be two sides, enough for a reasonably balanced fight. Maybe identical, maybe each built for different tactics. Making it a decent game that also showcases both cool models and tactical breadth would be the key here, models would follow that. With two identical, CAV heavy forces there's the inducement to buy the support and oddball and infantry type stuff if you're interested in forther exploring the game. With two different forces, maybe one CAV heavy and one mixed, the box makes a better army; pro, the box might be more attractive (but might not be, with less glamour models) con, the box might cannibalize ongoing retail.

The rules could be PDF with a book as an upgrade, or a very basic printout with a full book as an upgrade.

I would certainly put in dice. I would consider a cheap tape measure. I wouldn't bother investing much here, maybe two sets of dice in different colours.

I would put in a piece or two of Bones terrain IF Bones terrain is its own successful line by then, maybe something to use as an objective marker, like a small comms relay, refueling station, etc. Otherwise, some 2-D pieces to indicate forest or water, and simple fold-and-glue buildings if possible. Minimum would be some paper mats with terrain features attractively rendered. OTOH if Bones terrain is tried and technically and commercially successful I might be inclined to throw a lot of it in.

For markers etc it would be easy to "tier" according to pledge level: basic, you get printed paper markers and cut them out. "Premium" you get GF9 or Litko or Bones.

I'd keep it to a minimum in terms of options. Probably a choice of basic and premium boxes.

#1 Rule for this little experiment: Not all of your customers are experienced and obsessed hobbyists. There needs to be a balance OR enough versatility of options to accommodate all.

1) grid (hex-based) or gridless (tape measure)

• No grid, not for the kind of scale we're working with right now. Prefabricated measuring sticks or a soft rolled up tape measure would be comfortable and convenient for the customer.

2) Bones figures (duh!) which ones?

• RACH EMPIRE:

DICTATOR B, WEASEL, VANQUISHER, TIAMAT

• ADON ECONOMIC COMMUNITY:

CHANCELLOR, CHALLENGER, WYVERN, SULTAN

3) Dice, colored, faction specific, generic, grab bag?

• Faction dice are kind of popular these days. I'd go with whatever colors are appropriate for the factions I mentioned above and make the 10 the faction symbol.

4) terrain, how much/how big/what made of... will determine box size. Cardboard terrain folds "flat", Bones terrain would be AWESOME!... (maybe the Bones terrain is a strecth goal and comes in it's own box, also ready for retail shelves as an expansion option?

• I would offer up something along the lines of small buildings. Enough to put together a tiny little base for one side to protect and the other to destroy. Anything further can be covered by way of suggestions on how to use stuff around one's house to further diversify one's battlefield.

5) Rule book, of course....

• I wouldn't offer the full rule book. Set it up in the spirit of the "Starter Boxes" we're seeing from Paizo or FFG. Make it one stop shopping for casual gamers.

6) Reaper Catalog

• I'd just go with a basic ad insert that is mostly CAV:SO. Link the Reaper main site and let them explore a bit. If they've already purchased the game don't distract them from it, keep them engrossed in it.

7) Scenario guide with "campaigns" and linked battles as well as stand alone missions (and free for all suggestions).

• Yes, but keep it specific to the boxed set. Set it up in the Episodes/Season format. Watching my son and his friends has taught me that has become a comfortable way for them to organize story related data and reference it to their peers. I would say Season One could be maybe 10 episodes (missions) long? This makes producing pre-made expansions that much easier.

• ABSOLUTELY. I would definitely partner with LITKO for this.

9) ??

• I could go into extreme detail but I won't do it here. Seriously, PM me if you want a legitimate strategy for this project.
  • Like 3

LITKO made a couple of templates for CAV a long, long, time ago. Nobody bought them, so I'm not sure they'd be up for doing it again. Since we're talking pie in the sky tho, I'd have them as a stretch goal. That way LITKO would know exactly how many of them they'd have to make, and could set a minimum # w/Reaper before it all began.

• Like 1

LITKO made a couple of templates for CAV a long, long, time ago. Nobody bought them, so I'm not sure they'd be up for doing it again. Since we're talking pie in the sky tho, I'd have them as a stretch goal. That way LITKO would know exactly how many of them they'd have to make, and could set a minimum # w/Reaper before it all began.

I'd considered that. The LITKO stuff would be included only in the board game version. This ensures that there is no unsaleable stock. Reaper only buys what they need to stock the game boxes.

EDIT: there is something to be said for having the right cinematic flair for designing something like this. you gotta make it attractive and functional. That's why I still use my sexy green GW templates.

Edited by Girot