Sign in to follow this  
sigmaone

(Re)newbie (Re)learns to paint with LTPK1

When I was in highschool, I learned the basics of mini painting. Ordering most of my minis from Wargames & West, and using (what I have now learned are called) craft paints. Before highschool was over, I had gotten out of it, and some time during my college years, I lost all the minis I had painted. This August, I picked up the Learn to Paint Kits #1 and #3. (Try as I might, I could not get #2! What techniques does #2 cover?)

I already knew about washes and dry-brushing, but I never had much of an elegant hand for it. I do love it though. I love that the sculptor did so much of the work for me; that if I put the pain of the right consistency down on the mini, the mini almost seems to know what to do with it. Well, at least that's how it seems to me.

Anyway, I finished up the town guard dude about a month ago. And I finally got around to working on the big ole' nasty rat. Just in time for Halloween. They're nothing special. I'm aware of many issues, most of them which would be alleviated if I were just a little patient. I made a real mess of the base of the rat, first by not letting the primer dry, then by not letting wash(es) dry. I also missed a fair amount of flash on the rat, and forgot to paint the straps on the guard's shins.

Still, I'm not unhappy with them. I was a fun process, and I'm looking forward to doing some more painting, and having a nice collection of minis for playing D&D.

DSCN0318-003.JPG

DSCN0326.JPG

IMAG0431.jpg

IMAG0438.jpg

Finally, I just want to say. I have to believe the LTPKs are one of the best things Reaper can do for itself. They smash through the barriers to entry for the hobby. I really hope they get Bones LTPKs on shelves. Also, I really would love to see the LTPK2. I wanna know what I'm missing.

• Like 16

Welcome back to the hobby, you have a great start with these minis. As far as the LTPKs, the recommended order do to them is 1, 2, 4, 5 then 3 last, since it is the most advanced. The main problem with their availability is some new law about importing sable hair for brushes.

• Like 1

Great job on these two, I totally agree with you on the LTPK's really opening the door for new people or people who haven't painted in a while to get started.

LTPK2 is actually available I found online here for $21 + shipping. It is for skin and cloth.

Now a word of advice about the LTPK's the actual order you should be doing them is: LTPK1, LTPK2, LTPK4, LTPK5, LTPK3 (yes 3 is at the end as that's the more advanced techniques).

EDIT: I see as I was typing this that I was NINJA'd by Last Knight AND Citrine! :ph34r:

Oh yeah and as Citrine said the reason we don't have LTPK's for Bones yet is the issue with the sable hair for the brushes that Reaper uses as well.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can get the LTPK2 through that site. The "ships in 5-6 business days" makes me a bit nervous, since over the summer I had tried another site making that claim. They proceeded to apologize to me month after month for not being able to obtain it until I finally canceled. But it's worth trying again.

The Non-metallic metal is pretty intimidating! Perhaps I should go ahead and pick up 4 and 5 too.

*Edit: Yeah, getting "selected item is no longer available" when I try to add it to my cart. C'est la vie.

Edited by sigmaone
  • Like 1

Great job on these two, I totally agree with you on the LTPK's really opening the door for new people or people who haven't painted in a while to get started.

LTPK2 is actually available I found online here for $21 + shipping. It is for skin and cloth.

Now a word of advice about the LTPK's the actual order you should be doing them is: LTPK1, LTPK2, LTPK4, LTPK5, LTPK3 (yes 3 is at the end as that's the more advanced techniques).

EDIT: I see as I was typing this that I was NINJA'd by Last Knight AND Citrine! :ph34r:

Oh yeah and as Citrine said the reason we don't have LTPK's for Bones yet is the issue with the sable hair for the brushes that Reaper uses as well.

I like the Warstore, I think Neal's good people and I love their prices.

Nonetheless, I cannot caution enough against purchasing LTPKs from third parties. You may get an older kit with dried out paint, Pro Paint, or sample strips rather than the awesome deal of full Master Series dropper bottles.

• Like 2

Yeah, I had heard that before, and in fact I only bought the ones I did

I like the Warstore, I think Neal's good people and I love their prices.

Nonetheless, I cannot caution enough against purchasing LTPKs from third parties. You may get an older kit with dried out paint, Pro Paint, or sample strips rather than the awesome deal of full Master Series dropper bottles.

In fact, when I originally saw them online, I decided not to buy any for that reason. I only bought them because I had read there that they now come with full bottles. (Making them, it seems to me, a fantastic deal at $25. But if it makes sense at all to have a loss-leader in the minis world, these should be it.) The ones pictured at Warstore do have the full bottles, though I suppose the picture can be deceiving.

• Like 1

Contact Neal directly and ask him how fresh the L2PK in stock is. I've also dealt with him and he's good people.

I'm glad you decided to go this route to get back into the hobby. I tried to jump right in and it was a bit frustrating. I bought all the L2PKs as a present to myself and don't regret it - they really got me back into the hobby with both feet running, after a 14 year absence that had pretty much atrophied any skill I had (not that it was much, I didn't know to thin paint or anything but washes and drybrushing).

Looking forward to watching where you take it!

• Like 3

I, too, just started painting again after a long hiatus. Welcome back! You have a great foundation to build on. Keep it up and post here often. There is a wealth of knowledge from some of the friendliest people on the internet!

• Like 3

As a complete newbie myself, I have to completely agree with the awesomeness that is the L2PK. I just got the first one in last night after having spent far too long lamenting my unpainted minis because a) I was too intimidated/afraid to start and b) had no idea where to start in terms of colors, etc.

• Like 3

FYI, I made a thread for the L2PKs, there were a bunch of us doing them last year and we were making Open/Group threads where everyone could show off their work in progress. It's pretty helpful to see how others progressed and questions that came up.

Unfortunately it's not a sticky, so it got buried!

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48013-learn-to-paint-kits-l2pk/

• Like 3

As a complete newbie myself, I have to completely agree with the awesomeness that is the L2PK. I just got the first one in last night after having spent far too long lamenting my unpainted minis because a) I was too intimidated/afraid to start and b) had no idea where to start in terms of colors, etc.

I think one of the many great things about the L2PKs is that they give you license to mess up. When you know you're just learning, you're more patient with yourself, and even when they don't come out perfect, you can still be pretty happy with them. Good luck getting started!

@Last Knight - I just order the L2PK 4, thanks for the advice. (Also, ordered a mind flayer, "oxidation beast", a nice wizard {damn, it's hard to find a male wizard without a beard, except Peris (?) and he looked like too much of a neophyte --- I ended up getting the "iconic" wizard}, and a giant spider. Lots to practice on! And I'm looking forward to learning the "triad system" and layering.

• Like 1

FYI, I made a thread for the L2PKs, there were a bunch of us doing them last year and we were making Open/Group threads where everyone could show off their work in progress. It's pretty helpful to see how others progressed and questions that came up.

Unfortunately it's not a sticky, so it got buried!

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48013-learn-to-paint-kits-l2pk/

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have a look. :-)

• Like 1