(Re)newbie (Re)learns to paint with LTPK1

sigmaone

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a complete newbie myself, I have to completely agree with the awesomeness that is the L2PK. I just got the first one in last night after having spent far too long lamenting my unpainted minis because a) I was too intimidated/afraid to start and b) had no idea where to start in terms of colors, etc.

I think one of the many great things about the L2PKs is that they give you license to mess up. When you know you're just learning, you're more patient with yourself, and even when they don't come out perfect, you can still be pretty happy with them. Good luck getting started!

Absolutely. It's like saying "It's okay if these turn out bad, they're supposed to be bad since you're just learning. It's not like this will be your PC for the next five years."

More to the point though, one of the biggest hurdles I will have as I start my journey is that, at least right now, a lot of the conceptualization side of things does not come naturally to me. (i.e. I want a dwarf with red hair and beard, but as we know, red hair doesn't exactly mean red paint, so what color to buy, etc.). The L2PK certainly gets me going in the right direction, plus gives me a lot of paint to work with and experiment with when I am done with the minis.

Will definitely have to keep an eye out for the second kit though as I would prefer to do the beginner ones first without skipping to 4 and 5.

• Like 1

Absolutely. It's like saying "It's okay if these turn out bad, they're supposed to be bad since you're just learning. It's not like this will be your PC for the next five years."

More to the point though, one of the biggest hurdles I will have as I start my journey is that, at least right now, a lot of the conceptualization side of things does not come naturally to me. (i.e. I want a dwarf with red hair and beard, but as we know, red hair doesn't exactly mean red paint, so what color to buy, etc.). The L2PK certainly gets me going in the right direction, plus gives me a lot of paint to work with and experiment with when I am done with the minis.

Will definitely have to keep an eye out for the second kit though as I would prefer to do the beginner ones first without skipping to 4 and 5.

Maybe I can be of help here. I have a hard time "thinking from scratch" as well in regards to what colors to pick to paint my minis. My answer to this is check out some art sites like Deviant Art and print out some cool concepts for color inspiration. I like to browse through all the different fantasy art from there and character concepts from people, then I find a mini that will closely resemble something that strikes my fancy (or close enough) and paint it up to those colors. It really seems to work well for me.

• Like 3

(i.e. I want a dwarf with red hair and beard, but as we know, red hair doesn't exactly mean red paint, so what color to buy, etc.).

Auburn Shadow, Carrottop Red, and Highlight Orange... aka, the Red Hair Triad.

I will never try to paint red hair with anything else, so help me Bob (although I may experiment with starting lower, e.g. Mahogany Brown, or maybe even starting higher, e.g. using Carrottop as the shade instead of the midtone.

Marsya has an excellent thread on red hair here that I would recommend. And this is why Marsya is the Mistress of Crimson Tresses.

Edited by Last Knight
  • Like 1

After the rat, I decided to tackle a group of skeletons. I did a little more touching up on the rat, and now she's sealed. How long do people typically wait to seal their minis?

DSCN0384.JPG

Needed to do some touching up to get those teeth right, and to darken the inner ear. While I was sealing, it occurred to me that I'd like to learn how to get a nice slavering effect... a mouth like that should be drooling.

DSCN0388.JPG

The skellies are about done, I think. Here is my original post on them.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52206-wip-bones-bones-skeletons/

I found a good place in my apartment where the lighting is from the font. The downside is that it shows how amateurish the drybrushing is on the bones. With a softer light, they look a little better. Also the close-up images make molding lines more apparent. Maybe I should take a close-up shot before I start painting. I made the (hopefully) rusty looking effect on the shields and swords by mixing true silver, mohagany brown, and walnut brown together. (This is all done with only paints from L2PK 1&3.) I just used a 3:1 pure white to pure black to drybrush the metal.

Four of the six:

DSCN0389.JPG

An archer from a few angles:

DSCN0390.JPGDSCN0392.JPG

DSCN0393.JPG

The warrior:

DSCN0397.JPGDSCN0402.JPG

DSCN0404.JPGDSCN0407.JPG

Thanks for having a look!

• Like 4

(i.e. I want a dwarf with red hair and beard, but as we know, red hair doesn't exactly mean red paint, so what color to buy, etc.).

Auburn Shadow, Carrottop Red, and Highlight Orange... aka, the Red Hair Triad.

I will never try to paint red hair with anything else, so help me Bob (although I may experiment with starting lower, e.g. Mahogany Brown, or maybe even starting higher, e.g. using Carrottop as the shade instead of the midtone.

Marsya has an excellent thread on red hair here that I would recommend. And this is why Marsya is the Mistress of Crimson Tresses.

After the rat, I decided to tackle a group of skeletons. I did a little more touching up on the rat, and now she's sealed. How long do people typically wait to seal their minis?

I like how aged the skeletons look. Also how dark the rat is.

I did a brush on gloss coat, then a few brush on matte coats with mine. I waited 24 hours after I finished painting, then a week after the gloss coat, then I just left each matte coat overnight.

As for the red hair issue above. I had good success with a "carrot-top." I mixed an orange from red and yellow, did a brown wash, and then added some more orange, and a little yellow as a highlight. I was very happy how that turned out. I only have the one pic uploaded right now. Far Left

post-12970-0-63722900-1383849243_thumb.jpg
Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 2