Well, I've decided to start another miniature.

Arthrand Nightblade, Elf Ranger

Thought this would be a fun challenge to paint.

post-12655-0-79042300-1383264023_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-71695900-1383264035_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A Few comments before I start painting.

Sable Brushes are expensive !

I use acrylic brushes to put on my base coat of color.

I may put several thin layers on; however I am NOT using my sable brushes to do base work.

I want the sable brushes to last me a long time, and Acrylics wear out quickly, but they don't cost 14 bucks a brush.

In my second photo on the right you see a round tub.

It is filled with clean water, divided into three parts, and has holes around the rim for brushes.

It is called a "Brush Tub".

I personally adore the thing.

Not saying get one, just that is what I use to get water and clean my brushes.

Keep your brushes well pointed :)

Some comments to your own. My own personal POV:

Sable Brushes are expensive !

But worth it. At $10 one good brush, compared to minis (except Bones), they are not that expensive IMHO.

I use acrylic brushes to put on my base coat of color.

What is an "acrylic brush". The paint is acrylic; the brush can be of different materials but acrylic is not one of them (unless Tacklon is actually acrylic). Which brushes are you referring to?

I may put several thin layers on; however I am NOT using my sable brushes to do base work.

The paintjob is only as good as the base coat. If you are not laying a smooth basecoat, it is very difficult to do good blending on top. Sable brushes help do a quality work from the start.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. :)

I bought series 7 Newton and Windsor burshes and they were outrageous as far as cost

I am looking forward to doing detailed work with them !

The Acrylic ones are great for laying on a base coat.

I love my sable brushes !

I just think for the base coat, any brush will do :)

Like your work by the way :)

A good, and well-cared for brush will pay for itself many times over, too. For the amount of work I got out of my two W&N Series 7's 00 and 000, for a combined cost of about $40, it would have taken $150 or more of synthetics.

I still keep some taklons around, but mostly as disposable grunt brushes for when I don't want to murder one of the nice ones (like drybrushing, or using unthinned paint).

• Like 3

I agree ONE HUNDRED Percent !

There is nothng like like a great brush, you just feel good using it.

Also, the results are amped for your success with a great brush.

Now.. off to the painting table !

Edited by Jasonator

S&W are really good brushes. I wish I had more access to them (Netherlands), but I have a 0 and it has really made my painting go forward.

Seems to me like you are prepping very neatly. Now to painting! :)

• Like 1

Forgot to mention.

The miniature is attached to a shaving cream cap with "Duct Seal" from Lowes.

It cost about 2 bucks, and is on the left on top of my cd holder in the first photo.

a dime sized glob will keep your miniature stable on the cap!

I really like using the shaving cream caps, they allow me to move the miniatures and also to photo them from different angles.

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

The Miniature is primed with "Krylon Camouflage Fusion" for plastic spray (Ultra Flat).

I prefer a Gray color for my primer.

I still don't know what kind of brush you are calling an "acrylic" brush, but hey, if it works and you are happy.

99% of my painting history was done with cheap synthetic brushed. I believe I was fighting the brushes now. A cheap taklon is waht, $2? vs a $10 Kolinsky brush (even lower online if you look around)? I still think it is worth it; those extra 8 or 10 dollars pay for nothing nowadays :;):

Looking forward seeing what you do with this.

• Like 1

Here is a photo of the brushes I am using.

The ones on left are synthecic, ones on right are natural hair.

The series 7 are sables.

I use the synthetic for blocking in, then switch to the natural hair to get serious.

The synthetics form a hook on the end as they wear out.

Hope that clears up what I meant :)

post-12655-0-86526200-1383320089_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the response. :)

I bought series 7 Newton and Windsor burshes and they were outrageous as far as cost

I am looking forward to doing detailed work with them !

The Acrylic ones are great for laying on a base coat.

I love my sable brushes !

I just think for the base coat, any brush will do :)

Like your work by the way :)

I'm the same way, but I still use sable for everything. I have some older GW red handle brushes that I use for applying my base coats. This is to preserve my precioussss I mean WNs. I also buy the GW drybrushes because I like a stiff drybrush. I haven't completely switched over to WN of 00 and smaller either, as the whole point of the expensive Series 7 to me is a nice full belly that holds a lot of paint, and I just never need that much paint when I'm working on small details. I'm sure I'll change over eventually, because they really do seem more durable in the long run, but the tip on the WNS7 #2 is so fine that I barely use my detail brushes anymore.

Ah, ok, brushes for acrylics. Artist's loft... I assume they are some kind of shop brand?

We thin our paint too much for the usual acrylic techniques; that is why we use watercolor brushes (like red sable ones). Because we need soft brushes that leave no brushstroke, basically.

I am with Cimmerian on this one. I have two cheap Kolinsky Winsors with enormous bellies I got at a deeeep discount (like $1) which were part of an old line. They are "liners", for letrists. I use them for basecoating. Synths are reserved for bases and rough work, like dry/wetbrushing.

Thanks for the input Willen.

Just started on the mini.

I put a layer of Antique Bronze on chain mail,

and started putting on walnut brown on bow, boots, scabbard, and leather straps.

One I have color on, I usually decide to modify it.

Have to start somewhere.

post-12655-0-22843900-1383322899_thumb.jpg

• Like 2