Terrifying Fall Contest! 2013 Autumn/Fall contest Post-Mortem

Darkmeer

ub3r_n3rd...thanks for the comment on my vignette bases. Hope your eye heals soon; I miss seeing your enjoyable postings...I know what you mean about irritated eyes; I sometimes get tiny salt like crystals in my eyes and it feels miserable...plus they also hurt. My eyes don't get strained due to the computer screen...mine get strained by looking through my loop for hours at a time while I am working on a project.

Catdancer...

Oh no problem, I see how nicely your bases are done and now I'm starting to experiment more with my own. Like my current WIP (which I haven't even started yet, only getting it ready to go by getting the scheme down in my head) I plan on making little miniature books for him, that will be stacked near his feet on his base and then I plan on a conversion by taking off the flute the miniature is holding in his hand and replacing it with another book. He's a sage/librarian/author who doesn't fight at all in the Pathfinder game I'm playing in he only writes about the adventures of the barbarian/fighter he follows around (my main PC).

So my guess is that you are either: 1) a cyborg in disguise or 2) only need 2 hours of sleep per day

We are the Borg. You will be painted. Resistance is futile.

Ut-oh! Where is Species 8472 when you need them??

• Like 1

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my guess is that you are either: 1) a cyborg in disguise or 2) only need 2 hours of sleep per day

We are the Borg. You will be painted. Resistance is futile.

Ut-oh! Where is Species 8472 when you need them??

Trying to recover from the Hello Kitty paint scheme they got. :devil:

Edited by Amalor Myrnnyx
  • Like 3

Wow you paint up 20-24 per week? Do you even sleep?

I'm lucky if I get 1-2 painted per week :blush:

Sleep is over-rated anyways :zombie:

I just read the post by Amalor (that he paints 20-24 miniatures per week)...that is incredible and borders on miraculous. I am able (when I work extremely fast) to paint and mount a simple figure in about (5) days...sometimes it takes me 2 to 3 hours (just to decide on a color & shading of an item on the figure...like shirt, pants, cape, etc.)...and believe it or not; my base work takes me as long (if not longer) than painting a figure. Amalor, I tip my hat to you for your incredible talent.

Catdancer...

Well, I don't do bases nearly as complex as you. I understand the time that goes into those, which is why I don't. I just go for the simple basing.

Most of what I do is BattleTech, which are fairly straightforward. Mecha doesn't have the subtle shading like fantasy pieces do. So they're a lot easier to crank out.

When I do a fantasy piece, I usually can do one a day. Maybe two, if I'm not doing anything else.

This is also my full time job, so I don't worry to worry about allocating time for another job.

Amalor...I am retired, so I also don't have to worry about another job...and I understand that you paint Mecha and that you stick to simple base work...but my friend, I still say that putting out (20-24) figures a week is still incredible...Now your statement in regard to being able to do a (25-28mm) fantasy piece in (1) day is extremely hard to believe...I don't see how you can accomplish something like that...I am currently working on a desert vignette (the base, which is nearly finished, I have been working on for (4) days...the figure is 3/4 complete after (3) days of painting) and I am working on nothing else and working steady.

Catdancer...

• Like 1

back on tangent, I'd like my feedback paragraph from the judge, since your doing one anyway.

Doing a figure a day is perfectly possible for me as well, although 2 days is more likely, as have paid more attention to detail. I can be done in as little as 3 hours, usually spread across the day due to parenting needs.

First solid Base coat /Primer

Base coat each area/ Wash/ Highlight / details.

Also called speed painting you leave off all the fine gradations of color and blending. Mostly it produces mini's that look fine from about 3' away, suitable for gaming with.

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 1

I can usually get a figure done (base and all) in about 4-5 hours, usually that's spread out over 2-3 days/nights though. So I think it's entirely possible to do my table-top quality minis at a rate of 2-3 per day if I didn't have work or other stuff to do at home.

I think I need to remind myself the meaning of the phrase "tabletop quality paint job." :wacko: I keep getting myself bogged down in making all the little details just right, which, while it makes for a nice final product, means that I'm spending waaaaaaay too much time on non-PC minis. :unsure:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 5

I spend a little more time on minis that are for MY characters, but I do take pride all of the ones I paint up. I always ask my friends for artwork to work off of for their minis that they want for their PCs. I don't like having to pick the colors for them since those are personal I feel.

• Like 2

All my minis are display pieces. I don't really play many miniture games and I don't know many who do either so I have no need for a whole lot of similar minis. Nor do I currently DM so I don't need a whole lot of npc minis so I paint them because I enjoy it and am slowly improving. I don't get a lot done because I have to work and a clingy girlfriend. (Hard to paint with one hand)

Edited by bblythe84
  • Like 1

I think I need to remind myself the meaning of the phrase "tabletop quality paint job." :wacko: I keep getting myself bogged down in making all the little details just right, which, while it makes for a nice final product, means that I'm spending waaaaaaay too much time on non-PC minis. :unsure:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

You and me both OneBoot and I have to stop it. It's utterly insane how much time I'll spend on a single figure, a week usually and it's those tiny little things that eat me up. And still I'm never satisfied with my work, even after all that. I'm practicing getting quicker on a couple of BONES figures. Now when I say quick, I mean 2 to 3 days. I'm far to anal.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure all of us who paint obsess over those details, the trick for me is to just say to myself that it's for tabletop and even if it isn't perfect by my standards I slap the sealer on it before I can decide differently and move on to the next one. I use the pictures and documentation of my WIP/Show-off with all the great comments to see what I did wrong or what I could improve upon and move forward to make those corrections.