Terrifying Fall Contest! 2013 Autumn/Fall contest Post-Mortem

Darkmeer

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Insert Devo's "Whip it" Video here! :blink:

I will be PM'ing those that have asked for feedback, compiling all feedback into one message (noting who said what). I actually have a "want feedback" column in my spreadsheet, so I can do this efficiently. I will be sending the PM's and I will announce the winners once I get everything compiled from Dave, Kuro, and myself.

I appreciate all of your patience while we do this. Judging is a LOT more work than you think! It's much more than "it stinks!" or "it's awesome!" BTW: Nobody stinks, well... maybe I do, I've just been through work, and I just saw Thor 2...

Now back to your regularly scheduled derailed thread! :ph34r:

Edited by Darkmeer
  • Like 7

Just wanted to give a shout-out of appreciation to our judges! THANK YOU for being willing to do the hard work of judging all of these entries, and for taking the quality time to take notes/give feedback for all of them. I really appreciate all of the hard work that you are doing, and for putting this contest together! ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 10

The feed back is the hardest part in my opinion and it's also why I make it optional for my judges. I'm hoping that by people asking for feed back when they submit I might get more via a judge seeing that note and remembering to jot a few things down.

Agreed. I've gone through and given as much feedback as I can, but a few painters in this contest are far and away better painters than I am. Thankfully, Kuro and Dave are around to help keep me in line :upside:

The amount of feedback requested also surprised me. I never paid much attention to it when I was going through other contests to see who wanted it, I was just having fun. This... this is in a category of itself.

• Like 3

Does Chris Hemsworth take his shirt off in this one? I don't care what the film is about or if they even have dialogue, I'm in it for Chris nom nom nom.

One scene. Very similar to "Black widow" butt scene from Avengers in angle and how it pans up his torso. The other scene has him with no sleeves.

Lots to have fun with in this movie, and I think it's better than the first Thor movie.

• Like 1

The key and the issue of Superhero movies ... they have to establish an origin story first.

In many cases I would almost like it better if they just jumped into the adventure part.

So now that we have the establishment of Thor out of the way the filmmakers can just create a cool story.

• Like 1

Alas, my resolve wavered, and I fell asleep, chin in hand, elbows on the desk, around 4 or so, I think. But I've been plugging away (I didn't look to see who wanted feedback; everyone gets an article from me!), and trying hard to ignore the forums here. Also, I have a lot to say about some pieces (and not just the extreme ends of good and bad).

In a nutshell, higher highlights and deeper shadows! It's trite, but true!

-Dave

• Like 6

The feed back is the hardest part in my opinion and it's also why I make it optional for my judges. I'm hoping that by people asking for feed back when they submit I might get more via a judge seeing that note and remembering to jot a few things down.

Agreed. I've gone through and given as much feedback as I can, but a few painters in this contest are far and away better painters than I am. Thankfully, Kuro and Dave are around to help keep me in line :upside:

The amount of feedback requested also surprised me. I never paid much attention to it when I was going through other contests to see who wanted it, I was just having fun. This... this is in a category of itself.

To be honest, I hadn't even though about feedback until you mentioned it here. I figured hey, you're writing it, so I might as well receive it and use it to improve my painting.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Alas, my resolve wavered, and I fell asleep, chin in hand, elbows on the desk, around 4 or so, I think. But I've been plugging away (I didn't look to see who wanted feedback; everyone gets an article from me!), and trying hard to ignore the forums here. Also, I have a lot to say about some pieces (and not just the extreme ends of good and bad).

In a nutshell, higher highlights and deeper shadows! It's trite, but true!

-Dave

Yep, that was half of my comments too: higher highlights and deeper shadows! ::):

I'm done. Email's off to darkmeer and in his hands.

I ask that you read my comments in a smiling, helping-you-to-improve way, and not a snarky, I'm-laughing-at-you way. I'm totally not. There are several people here who are technically more accomplished than I, so please don't think I think I'm better than you.

That being said, if you have anything to say or ask about regarding my comments (good or bad, cuss me out if you need to), please send me a PM. I'm more than happy to discuss my scoring and try to get more in-depth about your piece if you wish.

If you're really sadistic, ask me for my wife's critique of your piece. It'll hurt, but you'll come out better for it. I think hope.

-Dave

• Like 4