Terrifying Fall Contest! 2013 Autumn/Fall contest Post-Mortem

Darkmeer

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I approached this as an excuse to paint a mini, I wouldn't mind reading what the judges have written. I'll take it more as feedback ala the show off thread though, since this was more fun for me than anything else.

Thanks for the organization, excuse, and fun times!

Edited by onyxGuenhwyvar
  • Like 1

Phew! I could have half painted a mini in the time it took to do all that judging! (I'm teasing, I paint WAY slower than that; plus this was fun. ::): )

There were a whole bunch of really awesome entries, and I have a new respect for the difficulty of judging these competitions. My comments for each mini were usually fairly sparse (there were like 50 unique entries from 39 different artists), but I would be happy to give more detailed feedback, tips, and advice to those who want it.

Also, there was so much great OSL for me to look at that now I almost HAVE to learn how to do some good OSL myself!

• Like 6

Woo! When are we gonna find out, huh huh huh? *excited* I know I didn't place, but I'm excited for feedback from awesome painters!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I'm sure it'll be very soon now!

Also, I've been meaning to tell you that I've been slowly catching up on your WIP, and it's been neat to watch your progress as a painter. Hopefully I can catch up very soon so I can give you some feedback in real time. ::):

• Like 3

Phew! I could have half painted a mini in the time it took to do all that judging! (I'm teasing, I paint WAY slower than that; plus this was fun. ::): )

There were a whole bunch of really awesome entries, and I have a new respect for the difficulty of judging these competitions. My comments for each mini were usually fairly sparse (there were like 50 unique entries from 39 different artists), but I would be happy to give more detailed feedback, tips, and advice to those who want it.

This is why I give my judges 2 weeks and got away from the scoring by place and not by points. I think my last two contests have had around 100 entries and that takes a lot of time to judge. It's cool to see some active members on the forum judging, as none of my regulars are here, so people can get an idea of the effort it takes.

• Like 4

Woo! When are we gonna find out, huh huh huh? *excited* I know I didn't place, but I'm excited for feedback from awesome painters!

Huzzah!

There's always the door prize for us non-professional painters. $15 IS 4 more paints, after all. Can't go wrong there (unless you get lost looking at minis, like I do).
  • Like 5

I've moved a little more slowly than Kuro, and, once I get DispatchDave's reply I'll be able to compile everything and finish my portion (edit: it should be noted the central judge (me) is going to be the slowest here). I figure this week will certainly occur, but I would not expect anything completely hammered out until Wednesday.

I want to make sure I have plenty of time, since some have already asked for feedback, so I'm compiling that at the same time to IM to each of you who requested it. I don't believe it's fair to have scores, but not the feedback done at the same time.

It's definitely a LOT of work to get this all done. For those that haven't done it, I think I spend about 20 minutes to 40 minutes per entry. Thankfully I have a fast typing speed.

I'm finishing up a paper for school (going back to college and missing the fact this week was a longer than usual discussion), made the entire thing much more difficult. I refuse to shortchange any entry, thus I am working diligently to get this done quickly!

/d

Edited by Darkmeer
  • Like 11

This is why I give my judges 2 weeks and got away from the scoring by place and not by points. I think my last two contests have had around 100 entries and that takes a lot of time to judge. It's cool to see some active members on the forum judging, as none of my regulars are here, so people can get an idea of the effort it takes.

I know Kuro and DispatchDave are regulars, I thought I counted as a mostly lurker :upside:

I know Kuro and DispatchDave are regulars, I thought I counted as a mostly lurker :upside:

I used to think I was a lurker, then I started getting all involved in the community and stuff. I'm surprisingly social here, for a very anti-social me.

-Dave

• Like 8

Huzzah!

OneBoot as far as I am concerned we have both won we did our best and participated in the contest we may not win prizes but we have both won.

• Like 9

I used to think I was a lurker, then I started getting all involved in the community and stuff. I'm surprisingly social here, for a very anti-social me.

-Dave

I'm social, but overly direct, so I try to curb my directness. I also look at my number of posts here @ reaper in the past oh... 3 years or so. Then I see members who, in a short time, exceed my post number (bblythe84 is on track for that!). Then again, I consider myself as mostly a lurker as a member of all the forums I am part of.

/d

• Like 2