Terrifying Fall Contest! 2013 Autumn/Fall contest Post-Mortem

Darkmeer

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Catdancer - The "20 Figures" is in reference to a conversation (or three) in different thread talking about instead of saying you have X number of thousands of figures to paint to always say you only have 20 left to paint. My searching is weak today or I'd post the exact thread I'm talking about. It's all in jest though, a way to stay motivated to keep painting.

Thanks ub3r_n3rd...I thought that there was a factor that I didn't know about in regard to that posting...but on the chance that it was for real...I posted my offer (I hate to see anyone who might really be in need...and I might be able to help...do without). As I said; there is nothing like a fool (an old fool/me in this case)...I should just keep my nose out of things that don't concern me.

Catdancer...

I don't think you are a fool Cat, that was a very cool offer from you. I know you don't hang out in some of the other threads as you are probably busy painting up your amazing vignettes while the rest of us slack off and chit-chat the day away. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't have very many figures that would love to take you up on such a generous offer, so please don't feel bad about commenting when you didn't get the context from one of the other posters.

Thanks again ub3r_n3rd...I deeply appreciate your last posting comments...You are correct in your statement about my not hanging out on other threads...I have browsed them, but find that most are conversations between a group of established members/friends and most of the time...I have no idea or even understand what they are talking about. Even though I have been a member for 6 months now; I still consider myself an outsider...I am not anti-social, but it is difficult to try and step in with an established group/bunch and be one of the " guys "...So I tend to stay on my own thread(s) and be polite, thoughtful, straight forward and courteous to/with all the members that I communicate with in regard to a specific matter and/or subject.

Catdancer...

You're not alone in your feelings Catdancer. I'm on the outside with you. Although I do go and comment and visit lots of threads, However, I don't belong here in any meaningful way and I never will. Learning from other painters is my motivation for being here. I've picked up techniques just by reading comments in peoples WIP's because sometimes someone will put in a link. Also my personal WIP is an important tool for me as it allows me to track my own progress and to keep a record of what paints I used to achieve a particular effect. Also the people here are nice and when I do get the occasional comment it is always friendly and helpful. Learning and the absence of trolls makes this the best miniature forum on the web.

• Like 5

You aren't alone in not wanting to leap into a conversation that dont seem to concern you Catdancer and AnneO' Leary. I'm really bad about not saying anything both here and RL (real life) like this post I thought I shouldn't make it because of the foucus of it but I am anyways. You and I might say its between this and that person but sometimes an outside perspective is just what they need and if you think that someone doesn't want or needyour feedback in their wip or show off thread post anyways that one thingthat you may see and give advice on might just be that one thing that they need to get to that next level in their painting. But to the focus of the imminant conversation if you have a nice mini that you know you won't paint then you might look into the mini exchanges and secret sophie stuff.

• Like 4

Heck Catdancer most all of us are here to talk about minis or other random stuff and I think all comments are welcomed.i believe most everyone here wants advise on what they have painted I know I do. I get a lot of view but not very many commetns or suggestions but I keep showing. Heck I have a thread going showing what I have paint since I started. It has thousand view but may 6 or seven people have commented. Just the fact that you and Ann and others come on here and comment or show means your part of this whole crazy party of misfits lol

• Like 6

@ Anne O'Leary, Catdancer, bblythe and all others re: conversations:

As our post-mortem waiting hall proves, we are a very, very diverse crowd. Most conversations are good but some are a little off-beat. The 20 miniatures thing is something I didn't even know about. That certainly makes it easy to tell my wife I only have 20 miniatures to paint... I painted 22 last month (counting Rotpatch).

As to when the judgement commences... It will be when the man comes around. Seriously though, we've got a judge that got ill on us and slowed down. I'm drinking Heffweiss Beer tonight to destress, and -- SQUIRREL! ---

Seriously, we're slightly behind in schedule, but not in a way that overly concerns me at the moment. (ask me next week, and I'll be in a panic!)

/d

• Like 4

I need to buy more miniatures, I have almost painted the 20 I got this year.

I have already ordered 20 more for next year, but the silly company hasn't even made them yet.

only had to take out a small soul mortgage to pay for it all. I can get it back any time.

Hi Evilhalfling! I don't know if your statement (I need to buy more miniatures, I have almost painted the 20 I got this year.) was in jest or not. I have many extra old miniatures that I will never paint and am willing to send you some (if you want)...depending of course upon what type of figures you paint and could maybe use. If your statement was not in jest...

Catdancer...

Catdancer that was a really nice offer. Seriously above and beyond. ::o:

As others have mentioned I was only propagating a meme. My actual count is around of 120 painted this year, over a hundred from KS#1. yes I will likely run out of minis before the new kickstarter arrives, but I can probably find something else to paint.

or ill run a RP campaign, have another child, or something that slows down production.

• Like 3