Buglips's Guide to Drybrushing

Yeah, I've been slack. I'll try to make it up soon. Some stuff happened, still happening, etc. Anyway, when it's all done and organized (eventually), I'll ask for it to be pinned and off-topic posts pruned to leave it as an easy-to-navigate resource.

Sorry to leave you all on tenterhooks with this, my bad.

• Like 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My drybrushing is doing alot better after having read this guide,  but I'm still running into an issue.  The first stroke always seems to have too much paint and acts almost like a normal brush stroke,  even if almost nothing was wiping off on the paper towel and I'm in the good area in the image.  Is this normal?  Or could it be paint collecting in the tip or center of my brush and it's not being wiped off?  

Gatt,  I notice a similar problem if I'm not careful to wipe off not only the tip of the brush but both sides of the brush higher up.  

Make sure you are wiping your brush in the same direction and pressure as you do the figure.  Also, when I switched to using the Testor's brushes previously mentioned it really helped.  

I've read that coffee filters are a good way to do this as well, they don't have the fibers that paper towels do.

That makes a lot of sense.  I am very careful about what paper towels I buy because of the fibers.  I have some plushy very absorbent ones with fibers that I ues for cleanup, and then I get a very cheap barely absorbent brand for drybrushing.  I actually have a lot of luck with Scott Brand paper towels like you find in restroom paper towel dispensers.

I use these blue towels I have for cleaning up oils and other nasty solvents around the house (I think they are literally called 'Blue Towels').  They are more like a cotton weave and never leave fibers behind.  I stopped using paper towels because I couldn't find a brand that didn't shred to pieces after a few passes with dry brushing.

I think I'll check out those blue towels

I can usually find them cheap at Walmart (and they are fantastic for cleaningup nasty spills - as I found out (again) recently when a jug of Mineral Spirits I had spontaneously sprung a leak and seaped all over the cupboard it was being kept in - a few passes with those towels (and a through airing) and no residue! Love those things).

Costco occasionally has them too but I think you have to buy like 50 of them or something ;-)

• Like 3