NaNoWriMo 2013

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Da, tovarischka.

National Novel Writing Month is a yearly challenge, where writers attempt to write a complete fifty thousand word novel in the 30 days of November. There is noprize other than the satisfaction of saying you wrote a novel, no guarantees of good writing, coherence, or Sanity. But it is a lot of fun, & I would recommend it to anyone interested in writing, or whohas ever said "I would like to write a novel someday".

Nanowrimo.org for more.

• Like 1

It looks like exhausting work and takes an enormous amount of dedication to complete.

You know, you'd think that. 50,000 seems like a lot! But... it only breaks down to 1,667 words a day for the 30 days. If you're a decent typist, you can do that in an hour easily... I usually average about 1k an hour while I'm struggling with a story. The pressure of the deadline - gotta finish in 30 days! gotta write something NOW! - can be a bit pressing at first, but eventually, you come to find it liberating; there's no expectation of quality when you're hammering out the words as fast they'll come, no need to chew them over and over until every one is spat out like a shining, shimmering diamond - each phrase a work of art in and of itself. Which means you can finish the work instead of - as so many writers do - taking forever trying to get each sentence in the right place.

It's amazing how much good writing you can create, when you free yourself to write badly.

...or something along those lines.

Hey, Mrs. Boot! I added you as a friend. I'm the one who looks like me. ^_^

• Like 2

Thought about doing this as I was supposed to be on travel down to Norfolk for the entire month and would have plenty of time to write in the evenings. Tat trip got canceled, so all I can break free for free timw is after the kids go to bed. Not looking good for writing time. Maybe next year.

The year I spent the first two weeks of November in a hotel room in New Jersey is the only year that I finished before the last week of the month. That would have been an awesome writing extravaganza; plus, I could have dragged you off to a write-in. The local WriMos are a good bunch.

That said, I wouldn't give up on it just because your free time looks limited; you'd be amazed how much time you can free up in your schedule, just by writing 'in the margins' as it were. I encourage you to try. Just pick up a pen. Come on... it's wahfer theeen...

So, I just gave two of my friends the run down on my NaNovel, including several of the inspirations and the thought processes that inspired the story.

I completely forgot that Bill is doing Extra Life, and was wearing a headset connected to multiple viewers at the time. Sooo... I just told a whole bunch of strangers on the internet about my character(s).

D'OH.

• Like 2

Not a writer, but I have friends who are.

They have floating around a good idea, which is to consider December the revising month before submitting any NaNo writing to a market.

Or, as one of them put it:

December is

NaTaAnoGoHaLoitMo

"Don't Sub It 'Til You Scrub It"

National Take Another Good Hard Look At It Month

• Like 3

Not a writer, but I have friends who are.

They have floating around a good idea, which is to consider December the revising month before submitting any NaNo writing to a market.

Or, as one of them put it:

December is

NaTaAnoGoHaLoitMo

"Don't Sub It 'Til You Scrub It"

National Take Another Good Hard Look At It Month

Oh dear god yes.

Personally, I prefer to let it ferment a while before I look it over and try to revise - if the work seems worth salvaging at all. A lot of my NaNo stuff is pretty gonzo. >_< But December often seems too soon to go wading through the story I just laid down, so I like to put it in a drawer and forget about it for a few months.

But any writer, whether they're word sprinting through NaNo or going at a more sedate pace, should know to revise their work thoroughly before submitting it for consideration; and if they can get it peer edited first, too, that would also help. Sometimes another pair of eyes is exactly what you need.

• Like 2

NaNoWriMo's purpose isn't to write something that's publishable, it's to help people actually complete a novel which is actually one of the biggest hurdles for writers. If what you write is actually publishable, well that's just an added perk.

I agree, but well, not everyone sees it that way. Apparently there has been in recent years a massive surge of manuscript submissions to book publishers every December, many of which could have been improved by a step back and a breather.

One of my friends recommends putting aside finished novels for the whole month of December, if one thinks one has something publishable, and only beginning edits in January.

• Like 2

NaNoWriMo's purpose isn't to write something that's publishable, it's to help people actually complete a novel which is actually one of the biggest hurdles for writers. If what you write is actually publishable, well that's just an added perk.

I agree, but well, not everyone sees it that way. Apparently there has been in recent years a massive surge of manuscript submissions to book publishers every December, many of which could have been improved by a step back and a breather.

One of my friends recommends putting aside finished novels for the whole month of December, if one thinks one has something publishable, and only beginning edits in January.

I imagine there's a huge upsurge in self published ebooks in December these days, too. =/

Your friend is wise. Meaning, I agree with them.

• Like 1

If your serious about publishing you shouldn't be blind submitting but most people don't know that. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the stuff submitted unsolicited in December goes in a pile completely different from all the others from the previous months. I also would be surprised if anything that says NaNoWriMo in the cover letter never even gets read buy the larger publishers.

• Like 1