NaNoWriMo 2013

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined! Now to start adapting one of my works into a longer, better story...

Yay! More friends! More participants! WORDS FOR THE WORD GOD!

edit: Oh, oh, oh. Don't worry about "better." Better will come from time and revision, as you go back over what you've written and hone and polish. For the month of November, just worry about getting words on paper (or in word processor, whatever works for you). If you can't make a scene come out properly, skip it and move to the next; or wing it. Fix the plot holes in post. What you're worried about right now is capturing the raw story, in as broad strokes as you can.

Edited by Last Knight

The good news is that I'm going to use this as a way to force myself to finish something I've had in the works for years and only gotten a basic plot line and prelude started on. So with that start, I'll seek to finish it =)

Here's the simple run down:

Scelestas the Wicked is an ancient ice dragon who knew powerful magic, who had enslaved a profitable mining town to provide him with a constant stream of tribute in the form of treasure and goods. He had been slain by trickery to free the town, and his treasure taken. His rage knew no bounds, and his spirit returned from the grave to rise again as a great black skeleton breathing ice and darkness. He seeks his treasure, every last coin, and revenge upon those that had slain him.

It is upon a young group of heroes to seek out an ancient artifact that could be their only hope in stopping the evil dragon, but the dangers they face are almost as dangerous as the dragon himself...

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 2

Guh, I've stalled out of the gate. My writer senses keep screaming at me that what I'm writing is horrible and boring (and what I've written really is, frankly, it's all just descriptions of unimportant characters so far :P), and I need to start all over again with a totally new concept. This keeps happening whenever I try to start a new writing project, and it's frustrating. Maybe I need to just skip to the interesting part where things start moving, and worry about the boring description stuff later. I always tend to bog down there. <_<

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

Guh, I've stalled out of the gate. My writer senses keep screaming at me that what I'm writing is horrible and boring (and what I've written really is, frankly, it's all just descriptions of unimportant characters so far :P), and I need to start all over again with a totally new concept. This keeps happening whenever I try to start a new writing project, and it's frustrating. Maybe I need to just skip to the interesting part where things start moving, and worry about the boring description stuff later. I always tend to bog down there. <_<

Huzzah!

The best thing, IMO, is to choke out that little voice and push through. If you know where your story is going, then skip ahead to the fun stuff - if not, then make the fun stuff happen now. It's always a good time.for a man with a gun to kick down the door. ^_^
  • Like 2

I have joined ant thought to add a few of you as writing buddies then i figured out that I had no idea how to do anything on the site :p

Hey, Blythe! Their search function sucks - even when I know somebody's user name, I can't find them by searching. =/ Fortunately, it's pretty easy to get to someone's page: it's just nanowrimo.org/participants/THEIRNAME

So, we have: OneBoot, ReaperBryan, Sirithiliel, Klawzie and of course, myself. Also, fun thing I just discovered: you can have someone's user name with space, and without. I'm Last Knight - apparently, there's also a LastKnight. Who is not me. This was a little disturbing.

Anyway, to make someone your writing buddy, just go to their profile and click the little box that says "Add as Writing Buddy". They'll get a message on the site (little mail icon in the upper right corner) letting them know, and they'll be added to your list of writing buddies so you can keep track of their progress and secretly envy them for writing more than you have. ::D:

• Like 3

Huzzah!

The Doubt Gremlin lives in everybody. I occassionally get 3am drunken, frantic calls from a friend who lives far, far away and have to talk her off the figurative ledge. Because she's horrible, and useless, and can't write a sentence to save her life, and everybody secretly hates her, and she's never going to go anywhere with it.

It's been like this since 2006 and four bestsellers. Girl, you just signed for another seven figures. Time to kill that gremlin dead and gone. And buy this goblin a house or something.

Two points:

1. 50,000 words is a pretty light load. You should all be able to pull it off. It's not scary* Just find an hour a day. If you're not tied to a desk, write when you poop. What? You got anything better to be at while in there?

2. Everybody's first draft sucks. They're universally horrible. Writers write. Good writers rewrite. The important thing is to sit down and make your quota, and just push through. Don't go back and edit. Don't ever go back and edit until the first draft is done.**

* Scary is when opportunity prevails and you find yourself staring down a quota of 350,000 words with a deadline. And if you miss it you're out. Forever. No returned calls. It's like Kaladrax in 7 Days with a loaded gun to your temple.

** I once spent years stuck in "edit to perfect" mode. I only ever wrote 10 pages. But by god, I wrote 2,000 pages worth of those ten pages. The end result read like the magna carta. And then I abandoned the work and wrote a palate cleansing "throwaway" in two weeks that proved everybody's favourite. This made me resentful, so I also put that in the filing cabinet of shame. There's a lot in there, you know. There's like 14 completed novels in there. And I hate every one of them. I think they hate me, too.

Also, I'd like to note that depending on "the muse" is a sucker's game. Seriously. Because muses, if mine is any example, are lazy, surly, drunken college dropouts who don't like to work. You need to be strict with muses. Set a time. Stick to it. Ignore all her tempting and eloquent bargainings. Because she'll totally spend all day in bed if you let her. But if you kick her out of bed, cram some coffee down her gullet, and say "Listen here, young lady, you are not getting up from this table until you earn your keep" then she'll eventually comply.

Eventually.

• Like 5