NaNoWriMo 2013

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do not recommend that method, being that it's a slippery slope and, well, Hemingway didn't end well... the point of the booze is to loosen up and not worry about it. So any method that gets you to sit down and work will, well, work.

This is not a big thesaurus day for me.

Anyway, you probably don't need booze to relax, you just need to relax.

• Like 1

While I do not recommend that method, being that it's a slippery slope and, well, Hemingway didn't end well... the point of the booze is to loosen up and not worry about it. So any method that gets you to sit down and work will, well, work.

This is not a big thesaurus day for me.

Anyway, you probably don't need booze to relax, you just need to relax.

The downside comes when you relax too much, and can't focus on the keyboard anymore.

Or just can't motivate yourself too stare at a computer screen.

or you cant make the words string together into the sentences anymore 'cause booze.

Well Oneboot keep going yeah it might seem to be a boring drag now but if you jump from climax to climax with no build-up or letdown between them then the story becomes flat and boring because there is nothing to catch the reader's imagination. So if you are stumped because youthink what you are writing is slow and boring and want to make it more exiting wait till you d evise it for the first or second time because at that point you will know what you need a bit better and can develop a balanced contrast between the action bits and the places where characters and readers can catch their breath. Imagian a mini painted all bright red its exiting for a moment but then it becomes very boring but if you contrast that bright red with blues and purples even though they don't have the visual impact of bright red the piece becomes much more exiting. Also i never re-read my stuff till I'm done. Keep in mind I am not a pro writer nor even always have good gramer (hush) so take this advice for what you will. Good luck Oneboot and have fun with it.

(Added to complete thought) and keep in mind that I am posting this when I could have been writing in my story.

Edited by bblythe84

Guh, I've stalled out of the gate. My writer senses keep screaming at me that what I'm writing is horrible and boring (and what I've written really is, frankly, it's all just descriptions of unimportant characters so far :P), and I need to start all over again with a totally new concept. This keeps happening whenever I try to start a new writing project, and it's frustrating. Maybe I need to just skip to the interesting part where things start moving, and worry about the boring description stuff later. I always tend to bog down there. <_<

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Here you go OneBoot. Writing the Boring Parts with Dave Wolverton\Farland

• Like 1

Guh, I've stalled out of the gate. My writer senses keep screaming at me that what I'm writing is horrible and boring (and what I've written really is, frankly, it's all just descriptions of unimportant characters so far :P), and I need to start all over again with a totally new concept. This keeps happening whenever I try to start a new writing project, and it's frustrating. Maybe I need to just skip to the interesting part where things start moving, and worry about the boring description stuff later. I always tend to bog down there. <_<

Huzzah!

Here you go OneBoot. Writing the Boring Parts with Dave Wolverton\Farland

I liked your post, and then I unliked it so I could like it again. Thank you so much!!!!!

That podcast ironed out a lot of the things I was having trouble with, and helped me realize that my biggest problem is that my main character is boring. :lol: I had that happen in a story one other time; my main character was too one-dimensional, so a bit character who was supposed to be just a nobody ended up totally taking over the story, which was then much better for it. ^_^

Huzzah!

• Like 3

...We??? ::o:

Wait, who are you in RL (if you don't mind me asking).

If you're actually Brandon Sanderson, so help me, I think my world just might explode. :wow:

Also, that's odd, I thought I'd already friended you. *remedies that*

Huzzah!

• Like 3

The good news is that the other day when I was all flustered that I'd messed up, I was wrong. I read it over again and just realized I could stop exactly where I had left off and it would be fine as long as I kicked my sulking teenager out of bed and had her go do something other than think. So I did, and she did, and I'm on track again.

The bad news is I'm something like 4k words "behind" (counting today's wordcount even though it's only a few hours into the next day).

The good news is, after I finish up on Reaper, I have eliminated all non-story-related distractions for the night. And possibly all the story distractions too.

Yesterday, I listened to some Youtube videos with Appalachian dialect and now have four tabs open with some useful "mountain talk" guides. (I'm not going to have my characters swim in it, especially as my main characters are Freshmen in high school and have had the internet since they were something like five, so between that, tv, and that it has a booming ski town with international tourists, I don't think their vocabulary would be particularly peppered. I just want to have options that feel right.) I also read a blog of some college kid taking a tour of the Appalachian balds. Which was very good since my idea of a bald mountain and what a bald mountain actually looks like was so not in sync.

ETA:

Btw.... number of dice rolls made so far = 2

Prologue character was an NPC, so she didn't get rolls.

Main character #1 rolled to "Manipulate an NPC" to convince her grandmother not to introduce her to main character #2, and got a conditional success.

Main character #2 rolled to see if she'd find out more information on something ("Gaze into the Abyss" even though she used the internet) and succeeded brilliantly, so now she has a goal for her next chapter.

So far, I am liking using Apocalypse World/Monsterhearts as a framework. At the very least, it's forcing me to think more specifically about what the character wants, rather than what I want the character to do. In chapter one, I didn't really want the two MCs to meet, but having her roll for it meant that she was proactive in making that choice not to meet and she had to give something up... namely something that tied very neatly into something I mentioned at the beginning of the chapter. Symbolically, she gave up the hope of going home to the west coast. This isn't something I think I would have thought to do in this chapter (I would have got around to it eventually, though, but I kind of like it better now that I got provoked into it for the first chapter). In chapter two, I wouldn't have chosen for the other MC to get some of the information that she did, but it gives her a clear goal for upcoming scenes... which will help me not to get stuck.

We'll see how well it works out in the long term, though.

Edited by klawzie
  • Like 1

I have a version of this:

Get a workable version of my project work* done before december (as exams kicks in), without falling (too far) behind on everything else! And then still manage to get okay grades in the coming exams!

First third of my master thesis :)

• Like 2