NaNoWriMo 2013

I rarely do more than lightly sketch what I want to write.*

If I outline too much, I lose interest in the story. I assume from some sort of subconscious idea that, "Well, what's left to do? I've already written it. Wasn't that great, aks-ually..."
If I outline too little, I write myself into corners and while I "wait for the paint to dry" so I can make my way back out of the corner again, two or three new things have assaulted me and carried me off.

I have very little discipline when it comes to writing. Something I'm working on, I'm afraid.

* In terms of the story as the reader's journey, I mean. I flip-flop a bit on how much setting and character stuff I write in advance. If I'm revisiting the universe the story is set in, I tend to make more notes than if I don't have any such intentions. Been irritated by far too many series where the author has lost their brain and contradicts something previously established. Y'know, something so simple as in one book they mention that every emperor died fully in control of their mental facilities and in another book in the series say, "This wasn't the first time an emperor had gone mad..."

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this accidentally adopted cat that seems to think that when I'm typing at the desk or painting that it means I want to give her loving. She's spent the last hour curled up on my chest nuzzling my chin, demanding I love on her. She's finally calmed down and sleeping in the Misters computer chair. o.o Finally I can get some writing done. Anyone want a cat?

She's grey, has a white heart on her chest, frequently talks to you and yells at you when you walk around the house and believes your seat is her seat.

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 3

I have this accidentally adopted cat that seems to think that when I'm typing at the desk or painting that it means I want to give her loving. She's spent the last hour curled up on my chest nuzzling my chin, demanding I love on her. She's finally calmed down and sleeping in the Misters computer chair. o.o Finally I can get some writing done. Anyone want a cat?

More than I can possibly express, but it's not an option with my lifestyle.
  • Like 2

Excellent. That's why we keep them short and sweet so you can get back to writing ASAP.

Just 15 minutes, in fact, "because [we're] in a hurry, and [you're] not that smart."

Not Brandon, am a Sanderson though.

There is a reason the painting contests I run are called Painting Excuses and some of the judges are Howard Taylor, Dan Wells and Larry Corriea.

o_O

Not Brandon, but a Sanderson? Brother perhaps... isn't he the producer? Jordan I think. Yes?

I just met Dan. He was GoH at the SF&F convention I help organize in Vancouver, BC this year (VCON). He's an awesome guy. Even brought a boatload of German chocolate with him for our volunteers since he and his family current live in the city where it's made.

Yes. I almost disowned him for brining Canada chocolate and yet he didn't bring any last time he was in town.

• Like 1

Going to share two articles I read today.

This one is mainly for me: Why Procrastinators Procrastinate.

I'm not really an irresponsible person, so my procrastinating nature makes it hard for me to get back on task after I've had a bad day or bad days because I'm busy beating myself up about it that it's easy for Instant Gratification Monkey to seize control. I'll be heading back into the woods after I wake up, re-energized! And all that. The articles gave me a plan of action and hopefully I can get back on track with my wordcount.

And this one is for.... well, everyone, probably: The Business Rusch: Reality Check

This is an article that addresses NaNoWriMo and career writers. Kris Rusch approaches her Business Rusch blog articles from the perspective of a "hybrid" (traditional and self-published) author of long-standing. She also approaches this from the angle of a professional writer. So if you're a hobbyist writer, don't think she's talking down to you, you're just not the audience she's talking to in this or any of her other posts. (Well, a few of them, maybe?) Great blog series and I highly recommend it for those of you who are considering or starting down the road of a writing career. (And if you haven't read her before, I personally recommend you start from the back and work your way forward so you can see her thoughts about the writing industry in general and self-publishing specifically change. It'll also give you a very decent education on the publishing industry.) I'll broaden my warning from earlier - if you start reading this and think she's "looking down on" writers in similar career stages/positions as yourself, I'm pretty sure she's not.

• Like 1

Argh there are so many things that are keeping me from writing properly. And now my girl friend wants me to turn my computer off any time I am away from it "not useing it" because she wants to know how much it costs to leave it on all the time.

Errr... don't most modern computers have power saving standby modes they enter that use a hell of a lot less energy than turning them on and off all the time?