NaNoWriMo 2013

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has a sleep mode but that's not good enough for her. Oh well I am sure it will work itself out at somepoint.

Something you/she will want to know - even if you turn off your computer, if you have a laptop and leave the power cord with the transformer plugged in it will continue to drain electricity. To truly take it off the grid you have to physically unplug it. As far as I know, however, this is not the case for desktop computers.

Sooooo... how's everyone doing? :bday:

*sigh* I'll go ahead and say it: Poorly. ::(:

That is to say, I'm failing miserably at this because I haven't written anything for the past few days. :down: It's terrible. Part of it is because the more behind I get, the more I realize I'd have to write to catch up, and it's horrendously scary and daunting. Plus, I've never written a full story on my own before; all of my writing I've done in conjunction with my sister, and I'm finding it a lot harder and less fun essentially having conversations with myself. -_- The magic just isn't there.

I dunno, maybe it would be better for me to scrap what little I already have written and start over, but from a different part of the story; skip to the part where the comfortable and familiar gets turned on its head, rather than beating my head against describing how the comfortable and familiar has been all along.

...That was a really long sentence. :rock:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I have a dear friend who has been a huge help in my story. This is a story I've had planned since high school, but never got arond to actually writing, so he's heard the full thing years ago and over the course of time has helped me figure out what worked and what hasn't, and has been such a great help in making one particular character a lot more interesting. Sometimes it's good to just have someone to bounce ideas off of =)

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 1

Sooooo... how's everyone doing? :bday:

*sigh* I'll go ahead and say it: Poorly. ::(:

That is to say, I'm failing miserably at this because I haven't written anything for the past few days. :down: It's terrible. Part of it is because the more behind I get, the more I realize I'd have to write to catch up, and it's horrendously scary and daunting. Plus, I've never written a full story on my own before; all of my writing I've done in conjunction with my sister, and I'm finding it a lot harder and less fun essentially having conversations with myself. -_- The magic just isn't there.

I dunno, maybe it would be better for me to scrap what little I already have written and start over, but from a different part of the story; skip to the part where the comfortable and familiar gets turned on its head, rather than beating my head against describing how the comfortable and familiar has been all along.

...That was a really long sentence. :rock:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Okay, Mrs. Boot - first things first, take a deep breath and make yourself a cup of coffee/tea/hot chocolate/151 with a grain alcohol chaser... whatever you like to relax. Don't beat yourself up over this, you haven't failed and this isn't something to be ashamed of, discomforted by, or even moderately perturbed.

Writing is hard. If this were easy, then they wouldn't have dedicated a whole month to doing it - people would just be writing stories all the time, no big thing. ^_^ But this is doable, and I'm confident that you are going to be just fine. The story is inside you, and it wants to get out - it's crying to get out, and all you really need to do is give it the encouragement to do so.

My recommendation is that you do not scrap what you've written - but put it aside, set it out of your mind, and start writing from whatever point feels most comfortable to you. Is there an action sequence you're dying to see? Are there lines of dialogue you find yourself whispering as they cross your mind? Write them down. Are your characters talking to you, telling you how they feel? Write that down - or, if they're not, then put them in a situation where they will. Ve haff vays of makink zem talk.

Writing a novel doesn't have to be a train ride, A leads to B leads to C - although it can be, if that's what makes you most comfortable. If the scene isn't working right, then stop beating your head on it - we're mad enough without repeating the same actions expecting different results - and move along to one that will.

To butcher another metaphor, you're wrestling with your story. Stop trying to overpower it - it's bigger than you, stronger. You have to be wily, use its own strength against it, by out maneuvering it and directing its rush to where you want it to go. You are engaged in literary aikido.

And long sentences are a common side effect of noveling, pay them no mind. ^_^

I'm cheering for you, Mrs. Boot.

• Like 3

Work happened, and I got stuck at some point, and excuse excuse excuse. I'm waaaaay behind. I think I'm just going to dive into a stream of consciousness "chapter" to let ideas happen. Unfortunately, due to other commitments, I think I'll do it tomorrow, and we all know how that works out...

• Like 1

Literary aikido... beautiful. (I have my green belt in it. Er. Aikido. Not sure about literary aikido.)

Technically, I'm doing poorly, not having written for a few days. (Sleep schedule got messed up there for awhile and I just didn't have the brain power.)

Otherwise, I think pretty well. Last night I wrote.... ::checks:: approximately 1,500 words (more, really - I deleted whole huge chunks in the editing/refining process) for a Bloody Mary skin for Monsterhearts and probably another few hundred words for another custom skin I'll be using (which I worked on a previous night and just finalized as a draft last night). Which sounds like I was goofing off, but I needed to do it because that's what two of the characters are. Working with this information has made me confront what they'd be likely to do and how they'd be likely to think. And since both characters are meant to show up in the next section I write, it was best to do it even if I don't know if I can technically add either to my word counts. (They aren't, after all, part of the fiction and I'm not sure if I'd be including it as part of the back-matter since I'm not sure if what one of them is will be revealed in this book. This is intended on being a series, which is why I'm spending so long on all the background stuff...)

In the last section I wrote, I ended up creating a new, unplanned character. I don't think he'll need a skin, but if he does, it shouldn't be built from the ground up the way the two I worked on last night had to be, because I'll probably just use an existing skin for him if he ends up being anything more than merely human. Probably. (As I write this, I get the sinking suspicion that I want to make him something different from what's premade. D: But I certainly need to write more before I decide to do that, because he might not show up much in this book.)

On the good news front (probably xD), I've again managed to get a good chunk of my nightly distractions out of the way. I meant to set my alarm for 6:30pm and ended up having forgotten about fixing my DS for the time change, so 5:30 it was! So dinner is eaten, email is checked, a few daily websites/threads visited, G+ communities and friends posts looked at, Youtube subscriptions glanced at (and Tabletop bloopers watched), and writing blogs will be next after I finish up at Reaper. xD Then I can re-read my Bloody Mary skin and make any changes that feel right and update that information in the character bio file. Maybe bake some cookies. That should take me right up to bedtime for my parents when all the noise stops and I can write. :3

I just did the math and including the word count for tomorrow, I am further behind than I thought, but once I get into the groove, it shouldn't be too hard. 3k nights aren't a stretch and with as much time as I ought to have tonight, I could get a good chunk of catch-up. Not sure if I could do all of my catching up tonight unless I did a total stream of consciousness writing session, which would give me the words, but I would agonize over the chapters when I came back the next day and would probably spend a lot of time doing my rough edit I always do on "last session"'s work.

Not going to stress on it because stressing just makes it easier for me to lock up. I'm not worried about finishing so much as I am "finishing by deadline". And since I already have Scrivener (LOVE. IT.), there's nothing else for "winning" except the accomplishment. (It's something I do really want, but there's nothing tangible on the line, so nothing to stress over while being so behind.)

/ramble

Boots -

Honestly, listen to Last Knight. xD Write out of order. There are several writing programs that make it easy to do that and then just rearrange chapters/scenes on the fly. (Ahem - Scrivener!) And remember: you're new at this! It's okay if you find out you haven't built up your writing muscles. But this is a great way to build them. You're not writing for publication just yet. No one's going to (paraphrasing Dean Wesley Smith as I'm too lazy to find the exact quote) come to your house and arrest you for not being perfect. This is sort of like a marathon run. You can jog. You can walk. You can sprint. You can even rest. All in whatever order happens to happen for you. Just keep heading towards the finish line. And even if the marathon time "closes" before you get there, keep going. You won't get the shiny medal, but you'll have built up your strength and your wind for next time.

Speaking of Scrivener, going to share my writing set-up for those who might be curious. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/klawzie/scrivener1_zps66b13e14.jpg

(Apologies for compression - Photobucket mussed it.) I blocked out possible spoilers in the left sidebar. The colorful stuff to the right is the area I keep notes I constantly refer to in. I try to leave it on the Moves (cobbled together from Monsterhearts, Monster of the Week, Midsummer, and tremulus. I don't think any other Apocalypse World game got in there.), but opening things like bios is just two clicks away. (Click on the sidebar to make sure the typing area is there, then click on one of the links in the left sidebar.) I don't think the typewriter button up in the top toolbar is default and I had to go into my settings to add it there. But it's the best. I can leave it on typewriter while I'm writing and when I'm in editing, turn it off.

What is everyone else using? (And share if it's set up different from default?)

• Like 2

I don't get to write often because of work and wifely duties, plus I can't concentrate when the husbands in the room. @[email protected] Some people have muses, I have a walking writers block. Lately, I've taken to carrying a notepad with me when I'm working or cleaning and when I get a break, I write a little here and there so when I return to my computer later, I can just type it all up and do the serious writing. This also lets me have a mini draft to my draft, in which I can add more details or try to figure out what I was thinking when I wrote this or that. I might barely get a page out during a break but I feel accomplished enough to have something done. I just make sure that when I have my sit downs to type that I pump out at least 2,500 words and cap myself at 5,000 so I don't wear myself out.

• Like 3

I use Q10 - www.baara.com/q10 - which is a free text only word processor, full screen to keep away distractions, with an ongoing word counter and wonderful typewriter clicky clicky sounds as you work. ::): I've been using it, especially for NaNo, since '08 and I love it.

Q10screenshot_zps9a6581bb.jpg

• Like 1