NaNoWriMo 2013

I use Q10 - www.baara.com/q10 - which is a free text only word processor, full screen to keep away distractions, with an ongoing word counter and wonderful typewriter clicky clicky sounds as you work. ::): I've been using it, especially for NaNo, since '08 and I love it.

Q10screenshot_zps9a6581bb.jpg

I got a mechanical keyboard for the clicky clacky sounds. Talk about an amazing relief it is. The resistance gets to me sometimes though because I type very fast and light. Totally worth the 150$.

• Like 2

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so very much, Last Knight, I can't tell you how much that helped and helped me feel better. ^_^ I did go and get a little bit of writing done, not much, just a few hundred words because life interrupted, but I think things will start moving forward now! :)

To butcher another metaphor, you're wrestling with your story. Stop trying to overpower it - it's bigger than you, stronger. You have to be wily, use its own strength against it, by out maneuvering it and directing its rush to where you want it to go. You are engaged in literary aikido.

Aikido is cool, my best friend does it and she once described it to me as "the careful art of hitting people with planets." Which is rather beside the point, but I've always liked the sound of it. I'm also typing this at 7:30 am and haven't gone to bed yet, so lucidity, relevancy and coherency are not currently among my strong points. :wacko:

Anyways, I think you hit it right on the money, I've been trying to wrestle my story into submission and shove it into the mold I had planned for it, and it just totally brought any creativity to a screeching halt. What you said also helped me I realize that this also explains why another story I started in a writing class but never got more than a couple chapters into (taught by Brandon Sanderson, ironically enough) never got off the ground, even though I had a lot of really neat ideas, a strong beginning and a good finish (at least I thought so). I was trying to force it into an arbitrary idea I had of what I wanted it to be, and it was way stronger than I was, so I gave up wrestling with it and it sank into hibernation. :down:

Anyways, I've got my words back now, and I should probably go do the sleeping thing so I can write more tomorrow. ^_^

...Er, later today. :blink::down:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

My Kindle has just now proved itself as useful beyond a shadow of a doubt. Well, not "just now", but yesterday morning.

I was writing, going on at a good pace.

I'd found a school floor plan that was pretty close to what I wanted for my story (not exactly what I wanted, but I didn't have the time or patience to draw my own floor plan) and rewrote a few lines in the prologue to match the layout of the school, cleaned up a few lines in the first three chapters, and was headlong into new material when my brain clicked off mid-sentence. I literally could not remember what I was in the middle of typing.

Frustrated, I noodled around, trying to provoke my brain again, but it just wasn't having it. So to keep myself from just trolling around Reddit and Wikipedia for a few hours instead of sleeping, I turned off the computer and prepped for bed. I was hungry, though, so I went to have a little snack. And then my brain turned right back on. Excellent! But the computer was off... not so excellent.

Rather than risking getting distracted, I just opened up Evernote on my Kindle, wrote about another 1000 words all hunt-and-peck style, emailed it to myself, and went to sleep. I'll be able to massage those words a little and get another couple dozen/hundred words in there as I add things in (my brain refused to supply some things, so I just wrote [something here] and went on).

On the subject of programs, have you tried OmmWriter, Last Knight? It seems to do what you like (full screen and allows for a clackity typewriter sound). I figured I'd try that sometime for other projects when I want to write in a sprint and don't need to reference other documents so much.

• Like 2

I have not; but I can completely empathize on using your Kindle (or other unsuitable electronic device) for writing. I've done about 2000 words this month via my cell phone, just the way you did. Write as an email, send, merge when I get back to the computer.

It was kinda cool, actually, one was a bit of dialogue that popped into NY head, one was a continuation of the current scene, and then one was a completely new scene that popped out at me. I was able to string B to C to A for an unbroken flow. I love it when my lack of a plan comes together.

• Like 3

So, how are we doing? Stories proceeding according to plan, throwing curveballs, or just laying there like dead starfish?

Mine's gone surprisingly well, I keep thinking I've come to the end of my preplanned scenes and I keep getting ideas for future ones; I've gone over 50k, and there's no resolution in sight yet. There's definitely going to be some clean up and tightening in post, but for now I get to indulge my wordy, chatty self. ^_^

• Like 1

Work happened. And beer happened. And a million other excuses happened. At this point, I've revise my goals. I don't want to "win" NaNoWriMo. I want to hit 12,500 words in a coherent short story. Maybe I'll turn it into something bigger later, but I have a friend who's hoping to publish a novella collection, and he's pretty happy with words 1-2025, and let's be honest...friend is worth 5000 random editors.

• Like 2

Unless I have a few wildly successful sessions, I'm not going to make it. It's possible, but not likely. Too many issues going on. I could probably manage if I locked myself in my room to keep my family out (they're getting sick, which means I'll lose the battle sooner rather than later) and blocked my best friend (who is having troubles, one of which is she re-injured her shoulder and keeps getting sent home from work). But NaNoWriMo isn't important enough to me to go to extremes.

Will still finish the story and will continue to work on it throughout the month. But unless I have a really good few sessions where there's actually a chance I'll be able to catch up, I'm not going to worry myself over it. I almost feel like my productivity went down because of NaNoWriMo. I can't blame it all on my health issues. But it could be because it was the start of a new series and I had to do rather more research than I have to do for my pen name's work.

Learning experience and it did inspire some work that I'm pretty happy with, so I'm not marking NaNo down as a loss. I know it's less than halfway through the month and I shouldn't suggest I'm throwing in the towel (after all, NaNo's stats ticker is telling me I only have to average 2,434 words a day to finish on time - which is fully possible if I write every day), but I'm kind of thinking that if I tell myself, "Not going to happen, but see how well you can do anyway." then it'll be easier to relax and do it without thinking of a number.

• Like 1

Mine's currently doing a very good impression of a starfish. *prods* An alive starfish, but still, it sure ain't moving very quick.

Life really blindsided me this week, so writing and to a certain extent painting have taken a backseat. I plan on changing that tomorrow. ::):

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Writing every day really is the key to NaNo, I think. 50k goes by really quickly when you do that; some days I was around 1000, some days I was near 10, but the biggest key is just getting the words flowing.

Week 2 is often considered the hardest, when everything slogs and doesn't seem worth the effort. I have faith you guys will pull through this, and if not - it doesn't matter if we succeed or fail. It matters that we tried our best.

^_^

• Like 2

Yeah at around 2500 words I don't think I will amke it particularly since I have the "wait for it wait for it... ok he is engaged in something now is the time to demand attention from him" type of significant other and to the total number of two dogs and two rats we have added two kittens to the list of pets (only the dogs are on the lease and known about by the landlord) all indoor pets by the way.