How to paint a pool of water?

I've had good results with Castin' Craft casting resin. Their instructions are a little confusing, but it does work well and produces a very nice result. You can also tint it with inks if you desire, but I wouldn't recommend using their own. Their "dark green" looks like a nice swampy color and turns out more like "neon slimer green", though maybe I just didn't put in enough. I havn't tried using that pigment again. The stuff says it has a limited shelf life, but as long as you keep whatever is left in the fridge it will last for years. I was doing a water base for two minis and re-found my bottle of this at the back of the fridge after two years, figured I'd give it a shot, and it turned out even better than the first time (see below). So the bottle is pretty big, but you can definitely get your money's worth out of it.

It will also eat through styrofoam, so if you're making terrain or a larger diorama, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you have a good thick layer of plaster or some other material between your foam and the resin, or else it will just eat right through it and drain out onto your garage floor before it hardens. Not that I had any experience with that. Cough. And you definately want to pour it out in the garage, because it stinks big time, for a long time (it stops smelling when fully hardened, but the room will still stink from the fumes).

http://www.dickblick.com/products/castincraft-clear-polyester-casting-resin/

Edited by Ronald X
  • Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

Nissiana - How does it do over time? Future seemed to work much like you describe, but within a year or so, my little pond turned into a scum of gel over the top of the rocks. :-<

I had to dig out an old piece to look. The vast majority of the shrinkage seems to happen in the initial drying phase, but it does look like it does a tiny bit of additional shrinking. The piece I checked is an old Hirst Arts fountain I built. Overall, the water level is about where it arrived after the initial drying. Along the outer edges, though, it's pulled a bit (apx 1mm or so) toward the center of the piece, bringing a bit of paint with it. It was a plaster piece (very porous), and the paint wasn't sealed, so those are some circumstances which might factor in.

I'll see if I can grab a decent photo, if you like.

• Like 1
  • Artists

I think the verbal report is good for me. Sounds like something that might be okay on a gaming or terrain piece, but better to go with the two part pourable for a gift or contest entry. Thanks for the information!

• Like 1