Sign in to follow this  
catdancer

Fantasy Vignette...Amazon Scouting Party

This is the (8th) completed fantasy vignette as listed on my (WIP) forum of fantasy vignette projects posted on (WIP) forum on Oct. 2, 2013.

VIGNETTE TITLE...AMAZON SCOUTING PARTY

FIGURES...RAL PARTHA (01-152 = 2 Amazons on foot) & (01-153 = Amazon on horseback)...

HISTORICAL NOTE...In the very early years of what we would consider (modern era miniature fantasy figures)...Ral Partha (as a way to test the market and morality of the public consumer) manufactured, produced and released a few fantasy miniature figure sets that contained " full frontal nudity...both male & female "...The public consumer was so outraged and the feedback was filled with so much fury and anger...that the sets were recalled and only a few hundred ever made it on to the public market...these few sets are now considered very rare.

MOST NOTED OF THESE SETS...(with full frontal nudity)...are (01-152 = 2 female amazons on foot)...(01-153 = female amazon mounted on horseback)...(01-154 = amazon slave chariot with 2 female amazons in chariot/being pulled by 2 full nude male slaves)...(13-031 = 2 headed ogre holding a full nude female in his hand). These sets were circa (1976-1978) and the actual size of the figures was about (18-20mm)...All of these sets were re-cut/re-sculpted with clothing.

MY VIGNETTE...Is one of the rare full nude sets of the 3 figure amazon scouting party (2 amazons on foot & 1 amazon mounted on horseback)...photos not posted here due to full figure nudity.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=398766343559716&l=327ba919b4

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=398767743559576&l=0ef1593b50

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=398768530226164&l=3eca8f72c6

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=398769283559422&l=4f849751d0

Edited by catdancer
  • Like 9

I've seen several of these sets painted up, most notably by a painter who goes by the handle "Michi" a German painter of some renown. Today, people don't flinch from them. It's a shame that they did when the figures were released as I'd like to get some for myself. It's a shame that you can't post them here as the female and male nude are the foundations of art history. I suspect that is a cultural associated with peoples on the North American Continent. I find the attitude quite puzzling, but one must respect the culture of different people.

That said, I clicked on your link and rather enjoyed your vignette. I like the colours you used for the sand and am wondering what you used. Was it coloured aquarium sand? I am curious as well about your choice to put make up on the ladies. I suspect the answer is that you did it for artistic reasons and not for historical accuracy.

A well done piece of work!

• Like 2

1978-1980 was around the time I first became aware of miniatures for gaming through having discovered D&D, and I remember a lot of the backlash regarding nude minis, although I don't remember these particular ones.

Well done as always Catdancer. So when you finish the last of these vignettes that you've set out to do, will you be returning to working on your village? Or have you something else planned before then.

• Like 1

I've seen several of these sets painted up, most notably by a painter who goes by the handle "Michi" a German painter of some renown. Today, people don't flinch from them. It's a shame that they did when the figures were released as I'd like to get some for myself. It's a shame that you can't post them here as the female and male nude are the foundations of art history. I suspect that is a cultural associated with peoples on the North American Continent. I find the attitude quite puzzling, but one must respect the culture of different people.

That said, I clicked on your link and rather enjoyed your vignette. I like the colours you used for the sand and am wondering what you used. Was it coloured aquarium sand? I am curious as well about your choice to put make up on the ladies. I suspect the answer is that you did it for artistic reasons and not for historical accuracy.

A well done piece of work!

Hi Anne. Great to hear from you (as always)...thank you for your comment(s) and feedback...I am not sure what you are calling sand; the road that the amazons are on is a base of fine (# 3) sift desert dirt with (# 3) sift desert rocks sprinkled...both are covered with a random sprinkle of conifer green and shamrock green turf...then sealed with "hot stuff"...there is no sand involved/used in/on this vignette...The make up on the ladies is strictly my artistic taste...since this is fantasy...remember that I do most of my work with an artistic appeal and not any historical (pc).

I had posted my (Space Girl) in an earlier posting...the same figure that you did such a fantastic job on a while back. Mine was a very simple setting of the space girl standing on the red planet...I looked for a possible comment from you on her (unless I missed it...I was sort of disappointed that I didn't get feedback from you on her...giving me your insight).

I agree with you in regard to the outlook of nudity by the fabric of our society (it is still there today...although nowhere near what it was 30 years ago)...In my profession; I have always stated that the most beautiful canvas in the world was the body of a beautiful woman and anyone who sees shame in that does not appreciate one of the greatest creations ever made. In my (35+ years) as a photographer...I have/had photographed over 10,000 such beautiful women and never once was I or my model ashamed of the final product.

I have no problems with the gallery not allowing nudity (nude figures) to be posted...since I was told that this site is viewed by children. The part that I am confused about is that if a child wants to click on to an off site link (that features nudity)...all they have to do is click on the posted link.

Catdancer...

• Like 1

1978-1980 was around the time I first became aware of miniatures for gaming through having discovered D&D, and I remember a lot of the backlash regarding nude minis, although I don't remember these particular ones.

Well done as always Catdancer. So when you finish the last of these vignettes that you've set out to do, will you be returning to working on your village? Or have you something else planned before then.

Hi Darsc...Thank you for your comment and feedback...It this point in time, I really have no idea as to what I will pursue after I have my (WIP) listed vignette projects completed. I may start to work on my (private amazon army) collection...they are coming in at a slow pace...but they are coming...At this point, I have no real set ideas/schedule; it might depend upon the " fancy " that hits me at that given time.

Cardancer...

I was kidding about the historical accuracy as I'm not even sure if Amazon women were real and I see them interpreted in many different and exciting ways. I like your ladies with make up on as that is a difficult skill to master.

I haven't seen your Space Girl, but I'd like to. Can you give me the link to it? I don't log on here every day and can go weeks at a time without doing so and I must have missed it.

I didn't know you were a photographer as well. That's very interesting to know. You are right, I do believe that the female form is the most beautiful of all creation and there should be no shame attached to it. Rather, in art, there should be reverence, as one would have for a beautiful flower. They are much the same in my mind.

I have a Siren from Harwood Hobbies that I'm working on, but I won't post her here as she has a naked bum. I'm doing her in aqua blue and her wings are wet blended using shades of coral. I'll post her on my blog and on the Lead Adventures Forum as they have no problems with nude figures.

• Like 1

I was kidding about the historical accuracy as I'm not even sure if Amazon women were real and I see them interpreted in many different and exciting ways. I like your ladies with make up on as that is a difficult skill to master.

I haven't seen your Space Girl, but I'd like to. Can you give me the link to it? I don't log on here every day and can go weeks at a time without doing so and I must have missed it.

I didn't know you were a photographer as well. That's very interesting to know. You are right, I do believe that the female form is the most beautiful of all creation and there should be no shame attached to it. Rather, in art, there should be reverence, as one would have for a beautiful flower. They are much the same in my mind.

I have a Siren from Harwood Hobbies that I'm working on, but I won't post her here as she has a naked bum. I'm doing her in aqua blue and her wings are wet blended using shades of coral. I'll post her on my blog and on the Lead Adventures Forum as they have no problems with nude figures.

Hi Anne...

In the event you missed my postings on Show Off for the month of October...they were:

1. OCTOBER WITCH/PUMPKIN PATCH...(OCT. 31)

2. SEXY SPACE GIRL ON RED PLANET...(OCT. 25)

3. FIFI; TENTACLE ATTACK...(OCT. 23)

4. ALICE IN WONDERLAND...(OCT. 6)...you posted comment

5. BIKINI BEACH CLUB...(OCT. 11)

6. THE CELLAR...(OCT. 17)

7. LARA JUNGLE RELIC HUNTER...(OCT. 18)...you posted comment

I'm rather surprised that you were not aware that I was a retired photographer...I was under the impression that you had read my profile...My profession was also touched upon in my reply to Darsc on (Oct. 31 = little glimpses of my past).

Lead Adventures Forum; I have to check that out for your work/postings...is it a forum like Reaper?

Catdancer...

• Like 1

The horse and rider look like they were sculpted by Tom Meier. I definitely like the nudes better though.

Yeah, Lead Adventures Forum is a forum like Reaper. You do have to wait to be approved to become a member though. It's not a big deal though as they are just very cautious with weeding out bots and spammers. They're based out of Germany and being an O'Leary, it's sometimes a bit rough for me to post there without getting harassed. I could have gone in under a fake name but I'm not going to hide who I am from anybody. I'm a bit cheeky about it as well and have "What part of no refund don't you understand?" in my profile signature. It's a hoot to poke them sometimes. There are loads of vintage mini's posted there and I find the best painters are in the historical sections and not the Fantasy. I lurk there a lot :)

• Like 1