So I went out and bought a couple of inexpensive cat toys, just to see which one lucy will like............turns out, Lucy enjoys my husband and I's scents....

Let me explain, upon being introduced to a nice feathered dangly thingy of massive teasing, she played with us a little bit but later that day while my husband was taking off his socks, she chased him and the socks around the house. So we tied one of his socks to some yarn I have laying around (she likes my yarn balls too...) and she wrestles with the sock when we arent dragging it around and playing with her. @[email protected] She does the same thing to my clothes. She's chilled out a little bit with the claws since I took some advice to be consistent about her treatment when it comes to clawing me alive. My husbands having a harder time adapting because I don't think she's connected that what is not okay to do to me, is fine to do to him.

• Like 6
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the comment about cat's preferences for "toys" being very idiosyncratic. I believe I have found a grand total of two purpose-bought toys that any of our cats has regularly played with. Currently, one of our cats goes batty for craft pompoms of about 1" diameter, and the other goes bonkers for pipecleaners. Our previous cat disdained pretty much any toy or toy-like object but would ecstatically roll around and scrabble with dirty facecloths and (yuk) underwear. The one thing all of them love/loved are those twisty bits of plastic that come off the lid when you open a plastic milk carton.

I also second the comment about bathing your cat if you or your husband have allergies. We have one of those shower heads on a hose so we wash our two cats with that. Unless you have one of those rare cats that likes water you want to avoid trying to put the cat in a "bath" of water. It's better to stand them in the basin or tub and rinse them down with a hand shower or a cup you use to pour water over them. Concentrate on their backs, sides and tummy, don't worry too much about their head, and avoid their face. Some do suggest using a wet facecloth to rub down the cat's head and face, but we don't usually.

Lastly, as an addendum to the double-sided tape method of keeping them off the furniture, another tactic is to get some spiral upholstery pins and some plastic garbage or freezer bags. Cut the bags open and then into pieces that will fit over the locations where the cat likes to scratch and pin them on. It's the tactile sensation that they don't like and if you bring in something you want them to scratch at the same time, you should be able to take the plastic off after a couple of weeks. Cats need to scratch regularly because it helps keep their claws healthy. It also helps to dull them so it does reduce the frequency with which you must trim them yourself.

• Like 3

So I went out and bought a couple of inexpensive cat toys, just to see which one lucy will like............turns out, Lucy enjoys my husband and I's scents....

Some cats have a thing for sweat/ammonia and your dirty clothes. Some also really dig clean laundry.

• Like 3

I second the comment about cat's preferences for "toys" being very idiosyncratic. I believe I have found a grand total of two purpose-bought toys that any of our cats has regularly played with. Currently, one of our cats goes batty for craft pompoms of about 1" diameter, and the other goes bonkers for pipecleaners. The one thing all of them love/loved are those twisty bits of plastic that come off the lid when you open a plastic milk carton.

This describes my cats perfectly. They also love empty cardboard boxes.

• Like 1
  • Artists

Cats can take a while to settle in. The way she's acting right now might not be the way she acts in a few months. To me, it sounds like she's been lonely and is desperate for affection and attention. The first cat I adopted literally slept on me for several weeks after I got her, and I'm pretty sure it was to keep track of me. Then she got a bit more confident that this was the new normal and she only did that now and then. I took in a stray recently, and she initially seemed to have no interest in toys or anything other than food and sitting in my lap, but as she got more comfortable with her surroundings, she became a lot more playful. That was a process of a month or so.

Also I'm guessing your visitor is either pretty young or really wired about her time alone. Once a cat reaches the age of two and a half or so, it's a pretty rare one that doesn't spend 16+ hours a day asleep!

I'm not disagreeing with anything anyone said about cats being willful and demanding or any of that, just pointing out that it can take time on the order of weeks or months to see what a cat's true personality is in a new environment.

• Like 11

Cats can take a while to settle in. The way she's acting right now might not be the way she acts in a few months. To me, it sounds like she's been lonely and is desperate for affection and attention. The first cat I adopted literally slept on me for several weeks after I got her, and I'm pretty sure it was to keep track of me. Then she got a bit more confident that this was the new normal and she only did that now and then. I took in a stray recently, and she initially seemed to have no interest in toys or anything other than food and sitting in my lap, but as she got more comfortable with her surroundings, she became a lot more playful. That was a process of a month or so.

Also I'm guessing your visitor is either pretty young or really wired about her time alone. Once a cat reaches the age of two and a half or so, it's a pretty rare one that doesn't spend 16+ hours a day asleep!

I'm not disagreeing with anything anyone said about cats being willful and demanding or any of that, just pointing out that it can take time on the order of weeks or months to see what a cat's true personality is in a new environment.

I can second pretty much all of this. I had cats my entire life up until I left home. We took in an abused cat from a local shelter and he was very... odd... for a couple of months until he figured out we weren't going to hit him or starve him. After that he was the most loveable and playful creature I've ever lived with.

• Like 3

I can second pretty much all of this. I had cats my entire life up until I left home. We took in an abused cat from a local shelter and he was very... odd... for a couple of months until he figured out we weren't going to hit him or starve him. After that he was the most loveable and playful creature I've ever lived with.

I third this. My kitty, Kassandra, is a timid kitty, and at first was very scared around us, like she was afraid we were going to hurt her (of course, Falazure sitting on her by way of introducing himself probably didn't help her nerves... literally scared the poop out of her). But she has calmed down very much and become much bolder, she is even so bold as to take food away from Falazure now. Though she is still weirdly afraid of the noise of plastic bags, weird because she loves to lick them. Weird cat.

• Like 1

I don't have any personal experience with having a cat (allergies :down: ), so I thought I'd share what my sister and her husband have discovered with their new cat.

They adopted a lovely calico from their local shelter a few months ago, and she's quite an idiosyncratic little thing from what I've heard. A large part of that is probably due to the fact that she was adopted and then returned to the shelter a couple of times before my sister got her, so she's definitely got some abandonment issues. She freaks out and starts yelling if she realizes that she's alone in the room, then tears around the house until she finds someone. She had a hard time when they went out of town for a week, and was super duper incredibly clingy for some time after they returned. She's also among those that prefer random stuff to store-bought cat toys. She loves socks, and her very most favorite toy is a pair of cheap shoelaces. She kept dragging them around, begging for someone to play with her with them, until my sister started hiding them. She has calmed down a bit, and isn't quite as much of an attention seeker, but she is still young so she's got lots of energy!

So, I guess I'm just trying to agree with what Wren said; it will probably take awhile for your kitty to settle down and realize that the world isn't going to turn upside down. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1