WIPs From the TARDIS: Yemphima Puts Down an Intruder

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Step 1 - submerge Instant Mold in hot (not quite boiling water)

Step 2 - push item to be molded into Instant Mold

Step 3 - let cool, then remove original

Step 4 - fill mold with material of choice

Step 5 - let material harden/cure

Step 6 - remove copy and enjoy.

And Instant Mold is reusable - just stick it on hot water and repeat Step 1.

• Like 5

Cool. I'm not sure I've every seen somebody use instant mold either. Looks like it produced a good copy.

How stiff is the mold material when it's hot? I would have been afraid of the bones material softening and making a distorted impression, but it doesn't look like that happened here.

Instamold feels like silly putty when it is hot - you are able to handle it easily with bare hands. The important part of the process is to make sure you let it cool completely before taking out the item you just made a mold of. When it is cooled, it will go back into a solid for. It's bendy but firm.

My favorite use of this item is to create bases out of dental plaster. I've built up a pretty good base library for my gaming group. Lately, I've been creating silicone molds to cast terrain features in resin. I haven't tried resin yet with the Instamold material. I'm a little concerned since resin emits heat during the curing process - I'll post my findings once I try it out.

Another tip is not to buy Instamold. This material is a kids toy in Japan where kids use it to make toys and jewelry. You can get a large amount of this product for much less than the equivalent amount under this brand name. Just go to ebay and search for:

Oyumaru Instant Mold Moulding Compound

Don't worry about what colour you get - they all work the same.

• Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      These guys were fun. I did two of them over the summer, experimenting with color blending.  The first was a take on the Chesapeake blue crab, and I might have gotten a little carried away with the bright color, 

The second one I did in a more subdued sea crab coloration: 

• By Pochi
      A different take on my second frost giant queen and I tried out some freehand on her skirt and cloak. I wasn't able to take Brice Cocanour's class at RVE but I was able to watch it on youtube and took his technique and tried out my own designs

Edit: Forgot to mention she is my trio entry with @Evilhalfling and @Kuroneko. 

• By Inarah
      Never heard of this before but it's a cool monster. Not sure when or where you'd run into one, but I bet it will be the most inconvenient time and place.   According to online sources they come in all colors, so I loosely based mine on a green iguana. 

• By Metalchaos
      Good Friday everyone, I just took some pictures of the 02479, Ettin I completed last night. This is a Dark Heaven Legends metal model that was sculpted by Jason Wiebe. It stand on a 50mm base and I painted it with Reaper MSP paint. Coincidently, I was delighted to see the amazing upcoming two-headed Troll also sculpted by Jason Wiebe that was announced last night during Reaper Live #117 on Twitch. (see the image under spoiler and the end of the post).

• By Thrym
      Tor Skullcrusher,
      dwarven tattooed monk
      A Custom Miniature developed on Hero Forge and 3D printed by a friend

WIP

As mentioned in the Work In Progress, this is a character of mine from an existing campaign.  The character has died once and was raised from the dead suffering a drop in his already low Charisma score as a result.  His caved-in skull didn't heal properly and the concussion and time in limbo have left him "off" personality wise.

So, with damaged head and tattoos adorning his arms and the opposite side of his skull, I present the embodiment of his family surname, Tor Skullcrusher. 

These were taken with a single strip light source so I may come back to this and take some more pics with two background lights.

As always, feel free to leave notes and praise as warranted.  

Thanks for looking.

Enjoy and Stay safe.

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)