Sign in to follow this  
Grim

Grim's first minis in years

I'm going to start off this "show off" post with an introduction.  Hi!  I'm Grim (that's not my real name, it's my name in the Society for Creative Anachronism, but seriously, everybody calls me that now.  My wife calls me that.  My wife's co-workers call me that.)  I started mini painting probably in the mid nineties - I mostly used them for D&D, but I got into a few of the smaller-scale wargames - Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic.  I was into "Clan War" for a bit (a wargame based on the RPG and CCG "Legend of the Five Rings,") but liked painting the minis more than actually playing the game.  About the mid-2000s I kind of tapered off gaming - I was getting too busy with other hobbies (SCA mostly.)  So all in all I had probably been painting from 10-13 years, but haven't touched a brush in about eight.

I started gaming on a regular basis recently and was vaguely considering painting again when I was looking over the panel list for Arisia, a decent-sized sci-fi con in Boston.  One of the panels was on Miniatures Painting, and I thought "I have a lot of great tips from when I used to do that, I could sign up for that.  Hell!  I should start doing that again!"  I signed up for the panel (we'll see if they choose me for it,) went and bought some paints, I still have a lot of old brushes, and started painting again.  I have always loved Reaper minis, when I went into the store and saw the big "Bones" display, I was bit dubious, but I started getting warmer to it before I even left the store.  So when I left, I had three packs of Bones minis (the dire rats, the Ghost King, and the Stone Golem) and one metal (a half-giant appropriate for one of my characters.)

That was about four weeks ago.  I've now produced six minis, most of them Bones.  I agree the stuff isn't as crisp as metal, but it's definitely a great way to get back into the hobby.  Anyway, I started with the rats (I have pet rats and love the creatures,) but found the lack of definition distressing - I shelved them until recently.  The first mini I painted to completion was the Stone Golem, since it was fairly easy, then went on to the Ghost King.  Pictures below, multiple views:

post-12963-0-26031300-1383839985.jpgpost-12963-0-97004200-1383839985.jpgpost-12963-0-93544800-1383839982.jpgpost-12963-0-66019400-1383839983.jpgpost-12963-0-46266000-1383839984.jpg

I am welcome to any comments or questions, feel free!  Real criticism is welcome.  Incidentally, I took these without a flash with a camera on the tripod - I initially used the flash but found the lighting too harsh for the most part.  I'll gladly take any advice on taking the pictures as well - that part of the forums is a bit light.

Edited by Grim
  • Like 12

Welcome back to the hobby. Looks good for the amount of time you were away.

Honest critique? Get a blue/grey backdrop to take pics. Helps even out the white and lets the camera focus on the mini and not what's behind it.

Painting wise? The golem looks good drybrushed. It's a great technique when use well. The ghost king needs a bit more work on the cloak. Even though he's undead and dirty it still looks a bit flat to me. More shadows and highlights to really make it pop.

Paint your bases! The raw sand needs some love and even some foliage. :D

• Like 1

Welcome back to the hobby. Looks good for the amount of time you were away.

Honest critique? Get a blue/grey backdrop to take pics. Helps even out the white and lets the camera focus on the mini and not what's behind it.

Painting wise? The golem looks good drybrushed. It's a great technique when use well. The ghost king needs a bit more work on the cloak. Even though he's undead and dirty it still looks a bit flat to me. More shadows and highlights to really make it pop.

Paint your bases! The raw sand needs some love and even some foliage. :D

The raw sand was an experiment - I have a ton of sandbox sand and wanted to see how it would come out. I was just thinking to myself that it could use some more interest to it, I'll probably put some paint on it at some point or maybe add some sort of foliage. Still, I think it will come in handy when I want the mini on something more desolate than a field.

Thanks for the comments! I'll experiment more with the photography. I'm trying to work more with layering and shading, that's definitely something I'll use more in the future.

Agreed, the Stone Golem in particular looks really good. Kudos on your drybrushing. That's an area I have struggled with so far (though admittedly not enough practice to really judge).

Okay, here are two more from that first run - I'm in the process of getting the pictures from my first lot. Right now I'm still looking for a better background drape. I may well make a lightbox - the lighting from the flash really makes the contrasts look so much sharper than they are, but without flash it's just a tiny bit too dark.

The first was a gift to myself from eight years ago. I based and primed the Giant Mountain Troll (02127) when I was last painting, but then never got around to painting it. I believe the tree stumps were from a set of woodland scenery. The face came out a bit funny, the mole doesn't look quite right, but otherwise I do like my work here:

post-12963-0-10176200-1383928180.jpgpost-12963-0-85755200-1383928180.jpg

The next one I did was the Werewolf (77009.) Since I had done the Mountain Troll's fur in grey, I wanted to do this guy in browns. I did some research and patterned him after the fur patterns of a European Wolf - appropriate enough for a fantasy game. The muzzle was a bit of a pain, with the black lips and white fur it was way too busy before I used a few glazes to dull down the white, and I did a very light grey drybrush on the lips to lighten them up and give them a bit more texture:

post-12963-0-71101300-1383928475.jpgpost-12963-0-76938000-1383928474.jpgpost-12963-0-58895700-1383928476.jpgpost-12963-0-49752900-1383928477.jpg

Again, questions and comments welcome!

• Like 7

Which white section? There is some light white (or maybe grey) drybrushing on some of the fur to give it some variation. There's some white on the chest and limbs, to be sure.

I was thinking about the white on the forearm fur. It seems like it's drybrushing that's standing out due to the detail of the photo. That's why I was curious how it looked to the eye.

I was thinking about the white on the forearm fur. It seems like it's drybrushing that's standing out due to the detail of the photo. That's why I was curious how it looked to the eye.

About the same as it looks in the photo (it's much worse in the one I did with the flash.) It does stand out a bit, I probably should have glazed it down. I did seal it, but maybe I will try anyway. The white does look better on the chest than it does on the arms, that's for sure.

Welcome back to painting!! It looks like you've got all the rust off. I would second the idea of doing something with the plain sand base; the mini looks good, but the base is just kinda...bleh. No need to add any greenery if you want desolation, though. Just a quick coat of paint, and drybrush, and you're good to go! ::):

That muzzle does look good. It's hard to make those kinds of transitions clear without making them too glaring and you've done well in glazing to give a good blend.

If you're looking for some backdrops here's the link to the one's I use http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html

That muzzle does look good. It's hard to make those kinds of transitions clear without making them too glaring and you've done well in glazing to give a good blend.

If you're looking for some backdrops here's the link to the one's I use http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html

Oooh, thanks! I'll give it a shot!

More coming, I think I'll put it in its own thread to get the tags right.