Sign in to follow this  
Smokestack

Kickstarting your own game

I dont know if this is the right forum. I remember hearing a past episode of the d6 generation and someone said every gamer has an idea for their own great miniatures game... So In that spirit, I figured I would post mine... And hopefully others can post theirs...

Here is the basic premise.

CHEERLEADER SHOWDOWN (again name may change if already in use)

The basic game will run as either a board game or a tactical miniatures game.

The game will come with 2 teams of 8 high quality cheerleader squads and a separate team of Faculty. It will also come with floor tiles that can be assembled to form a school. They can be rearranged so the school never has to have the same lay out. Rooms include the cafeteria, the gym, the science lab, etc…

In the board game, players can either take control of one of the cheer squads. The squads are basically stereotypes from popular movies. So one squad of the doltish blonde girls and the other the sassy black girls. Players have a roster that explains each girl on the team. Each girl has special abilities and equipment. The goal is scenario based so the scenario may be a battle to the death, or it could be to secure an objective, etc. The teams are already made and usable right upon opening the box. The players can also do a girls vs faculty. Each player controls one or more of the individual cheerleaders and faces off against a player controlled faculty. The principle, the science teacher, the gym coach, the drama teacher..etc each with unique abilities.

In the minis game (rules included in the box). Players build their squads similar to necromunda. They have a certain number of credits for the school store to buy equipment and recruit girls. Girls come in a couple different types depending on the faction. So, the basic squad might have Head cheerleader, flyers, base, and newbies. Each girl has a starting attribute line that may increase with xp, and starting equipment.

After each battle or mission, both teams get more school store money and xp. The winning team gets more money and the losing team gets more xp. You learn more from defeat, but the winning team will be better equipped. Xp can increase attributes or buy skills. Money can buy armor or weapons.

Future expansions (or kickstarter stretch goals) will include more terrain tiles. More school rooms, the park, the mall, etc…

And best of all will include new factions.

Some factions I had in mind.

The field hockey team… They have access to a large creature, the field hockey ogre… a female ogre with pigtails.

The kendo team. They all start with kendo armor and bokken so are more expensive to start but better armed.

The science girls. They have access to crazy inventions that aid in the game.

The goth chicks- with the powers of dark magic.

Plus, we will have exchange students… which are basically experienced mercs that can be hired to your team individually.

We can also release more support for the board game with scenarios packs that include aliens or zombies that you have to battle in the school.

Ok, so in the basic cheer squad we have

Squad captain- Can only have 1 (the most experienced squad member. She has 3 wounds, and some starting abilities

Flyer- up to 2 (they have an arial attack, if next to 2 bases they can be thrown as a ranged attack)

Base- unlimited (Strong, and fast, the standard cheerleader)

Tumbler- up to 2 (faster and more maneuverable, but less resilient)

Noobie- up to 2 (raw recruit, bad stats, no skills, but cheap and can be upgraded with xp)

Mascot- only 1 (a cheerleader is a costume… Lion, Penguin, etc… They get armor (the only cheerleader who does, and help with morale checks like a banner)

School vs school works with the basic game. Hence the two different cheer squads. I also had an idea that the Kendo club was from Japan. And thought maybe some international factions… Then I also thought about different school types, like the private school might have a girls polo team, and have girls on horseback. Or the Transylvanian team might be vampires…

Some more ideas,

the cosplay girls…

The gamer girls,

Or, Since its girls only, how about a squad of boys badly dressed as girls pretending so they can get in on it…

We can do things with sports like the volley ball team, or the swim team…

I had a vague Idea of teams being brought to the school to compete… Like a league of some sort and the highschools are now the arenas… But I also want parks, malls, museums, etc…

I kind of had an idea of this being very anime with pictures in the book of a character surrounded by fainting boys or boys with nosebleeds, etc… All anime tropes can be included… Like the Ninja girl… she can be recruited as an exchange student. Or the girl in the bikini and cowboy hat… or the seemingly good squad of catholic girls… The miniatures have the girls looking innocent, but each one clutching a butcher knife or noose behind them…

The robot girl team, Like the Small wonder robot Vicky… Then the Cthulu girls team, straight from the abyss, instead of golden hair they have face tentaclces… and the alien team.. or the gremlin team… the evil faeries…

So thats basically my idea... What's yours?

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1

Hmm.. I hadnt though of it that way... Though I dont really see guns in the game...Mostly throwing weapons and bows and such.. Kind of a Hunger Games and Battle royale... but all girls... In the future goverments settle their differences and cities compete with other cities for more goverment funds... by have girls teams fight each other... Ha... that sounds silly... But any one have any ideas for their own mini s game...

Elementary school kids get suspended from school for biting their poptarts in the shape of a gun and pretending to shoot them. I've heard of even a preschool kid being suspended for threatening to shoot someone with their bubblegun (a gun which shoots bubbles, which she didn't even have with her). It's all pretty dumb but thanks to ... well all this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States , anything violence + school is recieved poorly. You might as well add in a Stoner Clique and an Athiest Club to your expansions just to piss everyone off.

No Goblin cheerleaders? Make it fantasy/underdark themed. Solves the 'mimicking the real world ' problems

Elf and Drow cheerleaders. I'm not sure what games goblins play.

• Like 1

Heh, you're been watching too much anime :lol: This sounds like something that would go over better released in that culture first.

The school violence aspect doesn't strike me so much as the (and please do not be offended by this because I do not mean to offend you or your idea, because I honestly do like it) sexism. Here's what I mean exactly: Cheerleading as a sport is more like gymnastics or dance, so why would you have a non-contact, non-violent sport become the primary combatants in a battle royale situation? The fact that is also highly sexualized suggests that it is for that reason. If you go with the anime aesthetic that reinforces the sexual tropes. Portraying cheerleaders as ditzy (or in the case of the black ones, as sassy) further reinforces this.

What strikes me most is that your game concepts could very easily be criticized for being sexist and insensitive toward women. If balanced correctly though, you could produce a game that strikes the right tone, a game that girls want to play, because the girls in it aren't just sex objects. I think you also need to come up with a rational reason why a non-violent sport would become the center of a battle royale. A good back story for that would go a long way to prove that this isn't just a male fantasy game.

• Like 2

No Goblin cheerleaders? Make it fantasy/underdark themed. Solves the 'mimicking the real world ' problems

Elf and Drow cheerleaders. I'm not sure what games goblins play.

I have a 40ish-year-old guy in my Wednesday group who, a couple years back, got hooked on the idea of a tiefling character that was obsessed with drow prom fashion. He was trying to get my gf at the time to make sketches of the character wearing a drow prom dress. Do drow even have prom? :rock:

He's a pretty weird dude. Got mad and is boycotting the local renaissance festival because they wouldn't let him in wearing his minotaur costume. :mellow:

• Like 1

Weeeeell, considering "prom" is short for "promenade", where you basically just walk around and show off how fancy you are, draw could have something like that. Though it probably would not be what we would expect. Probably include bloodshed. And torture. Definitely wouldn't have a prom king... and the queen might have to win her title by killing off her competition.

Well, maybe more like real highschool after all, just more honest. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Or you could make it a game about cheerleading. I see it as more of a card game than a minis game though. Each player has a deck that represents a team of girls and boys of different skill levels and point values. Players either build or draw cards for their squad that round. Other cards represent moves of varying difficulties, with corresponding "win" points. Squads can get boosts from 'equipment' like pompoms, music, or new uniforms. There could be negative cards to play like "spilled gatorade, or twisted ankle". Object would be to have one of your squad member cards + boosts be equal or greater than the point value on a 'move' card in order to score.

People dress up as all kinds of things at ours. Fairies, vikings, pirates, ninjas, and even anime characters. A minotaur would hardly be out of place.

Hey guys thanks for the comments. I don't actually plan on making the game... This is just the game I would make if I could... I admit that It could be construed as sexist. Though I think the most revealing outfits would be teams like the swim team etc. But all of the uniforms would be standard school uniforms. Nothing over the top or overly sexualized. I initially had the thought of having real cheerleaders and girls sports teams as the art instead of the anime style... But... when I started adding the goofy stuff like the Field Hockey ogre I wanted to distance the game from real people... Having a 13 year old daughter I don't want the girls to confuse tongue in cheek fantasy with me actually calling Field Hockey players ogre... There is still probably that risk, but anime style I would hope shows that it is meant to be funny not hurtful.

As far as the stoners and other offensive material... I would want to be able to play the game with my kids...but. I don't really think that kind of stuff shouldn't be made. If any of the teams are not suitable for children, then a 18+ tab could be put on the box... Even my transvestite team (or just the boys trying to get in the league so they dress as women) I would not have a problem playing with my kids, but I know some people would... So...

I really did not think of actual school violence when I was coming up with this. I just thought it sounded like a fun, light game... In between playing some serious wargames you could play a game with 8 armed girls and battle for a half hour or hour...

And really I would love some Malifaux-esque plastic sprues of customizable miniatures... Each box a complete team.