Sign in to follow this  
Dontfear

My no doubt sporadic WIP thread of pain

This is my latest work in progress. I'm really working on nmm and lighting, so the focus is on getting it right in order to practice for some real display level work I will be starting soon. I'm going for a dramatic look with high contrast, not so much realism. I am highly influenced by Ben Komets and I'm a huge fan of Derek Schubert of Reaper fame. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, I promise I'll take better pics for the show off thread when it is done but quick pics with my cell phone will be all for the WIP.

post-12951-0-37496300-1384019142_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

So I've had a productive afternoon and knocked out some serious work. The picture turned out a little better too.

post-12951-0-92213600-1384032931_thumb.jpg

There is a little mushy detail on the helmet but not too bad. In all this is a pretty crisp sculpt. Since I'm not a gamer I plan on mounting this on a pretty plain plinth. Just topped with some rocky looking stuff to blend in with the built in rocks. Maybe some flowers for a splash of color.

• Like 14

I appreciate the kind words! I'm really trying and lately it has started to click. Some of the smoothness is a result of blurry pictures though so I can't take all the credit. Best advice I was ever given was to slow down.

I had my eyes opened to really good competition level minis in college. I was fortunate to fall into a group of three demon winning painters. Through fits and starts with lots of practice I got better. I hope someday to be able to hang with the big dogs of the painting world. If anyone is interested in competition painting, go, compete and introduce yourself. My experience is that most of the people who are into it are really nice.

At any rate, for color scheme I'm thinking a desaturated green on the shield. With a red dress. I'm going to continue the gold on some parts of the body and do some orangey leather. I'm thinking blonde hair. I want to do some freehand work on the dress but I don't know what. Any thoughts?

P3 battlefield brown, gw snakebite leather, gw yriel yellow, and gw white. The colors are less important than the technique. In this case a mix of wet blending, layering and glazing.

• Like 1

Really nice nmm, something I've been working on since February.

I agree with your comment about exact colors being less important than the technique. I don't use wet blending, so it takes me a bit longer to get started. But the more I throw different colors at the technique the better I like it, as long as you maintain proper value ranges.

• Like 1

I don't know why you're not satisfied with her helmet, I think it looks crisp enough. NMM is difficult and not something I'm ready to attempt. Further, her skin tone is great and the blending looks excellent.

Cash: wet blending is amazing for laying down a nice basis to work from. Its almost like cheating. I have the Painting Buddha DVD and watching Ben Komets do wet in wet blending just blew my mind. I haven't gone back to straight layering since. I agree, you need to have dark areas and always need a bright white area. Schubert seems to get away with a narrower value range but I can never sell the look when I do that.

Anne: Thank you very much! I was talking about the sculpt more than my work. The little filigree stuff on there is rounded and muddy. Its frustrating to paint that in NMM. As for trying it, use a wet pallet, go slow and just expect to get less done. However, it is easier than you think. I think doing nmm well is harder than doing metallic paint well. I personally fought myself on nmm because I never liked the result that much but in the end I just like the extra control it gives you.

Maglok: Thanks! Here you go!

I did some more work last night before bed and I'm just kicking off an afternoon of painting. So without further adieu:

post-12951-0-37495800-1384113153_thumb.jpg

post-12951-0-27847600-1384113158_thumb.jpg

The shield was hard. I don't work much in green and it was a bit of an experience getting it right. The battle damage is there to cover up my abysmal blending that I do not want to fix.

• Like 9

How do you do your gold? I am trying a lot of NMM gold myself at the moment and I just don't know on what color to start. At the moment I am on a bronze skintone one, but yours looks really good.

The shield.. Hmmm. It looks good, but maybe a little more light on it? What color is the edge going to be? That might offset the darkness of the green.

• Like 1

Maglok: P3 battlefield brown, gw snakebite leather, gw yriel yellow, and gw white. The colors are less important than the technique. In this case a mix of wet blending, layering and glazing. The key to nmm is getting the lighting right and having a really high value range. Highlight to a pure white but not too much and shade down really dark. I plan to rim the shield in the silver nmm to draw the eye and contrast with the green.

I did all the fun stuff today. I love to paint hair and cloth. Red is sort of a specialty color for me too. Unfortunately the camera flattens red like no ones business and that is really annoying. I still need to work on the leather and I have more gold and silver areas to do. It is really starting to come together though. I'm thinking about a freehand pattern on the skirt but I can't decide what. I'm thinking just a border or something at the corners. I need something to add interest on the back side of the mini. And so here are the pics:

post-12951-0-93987700-1384137450_thumb.jpg

post-12951-0-81714900-1384137457_thumb.jpg

Also, Bones get super glossy with the way I paint. I have to use a matte varnish at the end.

Edited by Dontfear
  • Like 14

More work done and I'm closing in on being done. Its hard to go slow when you are almost done but its really important. I still need to do some bordering on the skirt and the steel on the shield rim but the end is in sight. I've got a few other bits and bobs to do here and there too. Then I will dull coat it and see what needs to be done before the basing gets started.

post-12951-0-86241800-1384266065_thumb.jpg

post-12951-0-96770700-1384266094_thumb.jpgpost-12951-0-82701000-1384266155_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I like it. The reds look fine, your camera doesnt do at all bad. This is a WIP shot, not a full lightbox picture right?

Funny enough I always start with the base, just love bases!

• Like 1