02434 and 02443 Male and Female Skoli Warriors

AnneO'Leary

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked hard on this and I'm getting at least one comment out of it, even if it is mine so here goes.

Anne, that's pretty good, but you don't have enough contrast. You really should have done more lining and deepened the shadows along the thighs.

Now I'm going to go comment on other peoples work and bury this bloody thread.

• Like 3

Don't feel bad because of the lack of comments, especially on a weekend when this forum is the slowest. I'm lucky if I get 4-5 on any of mine. Heck, there was a figure that I spent 3 months painting (off and on for about 25+ hours) which is easily the best thing I've ever painted and it's show off thread never hit two pages and all the comments were just from people who watch my WIP thread anyway. I decided that whatever I get is awesome but at the end of the day I'm painting for myself and not the internet. Also it's 100x easier just to click like as facebook has taught us that likes are all that matter and people are overly obsessed with them here.

It can be hard when you're putting stuff out here, hoping for suggestions for improvement, but these forums aren't really good for that as most people don't want to look at something with a critical eye and instead be encouraging--which is what, in part, gives it it's very friendly atmosphere. When you do feel like doing it can take quite a while, last time I heavily critiqued someone's thing here it took me about 2 days of going back and looking at the figure every few hours to think about it and the go back and check to see if I was remembering it right.

It's why I prefer to comment in WIP threads but it's hard to keep up with all of them and the more I do the less time I paint so I only tend to do a few posts a week.

But if you want something critical I'll say that I've found photo backgrounds like these to make cameras take pictures that are darker then they actually are. Not sure why but I'm sure if you messed with the brightness and contrast the images would be easier to see what you've actually done contrast wise.

• Like 5

Haha Anne that comment was brilliant !! Made me laugh . The minis are also really really awesome. Contrast is always good but I like these alot as is.

For other members I'm using these as "tar devils" for the 4e reavers of harkenwold adventure. I've played through it once but now I have minis etc I'm going to run it for my new group (2 newbies, 1 semi new & 1 relatively experienced) so I'm really lookin forward to playing it. I've also got Anne to paint my PC warlock with ice sword , a rogue & one of her own race ideas a d'ork (dark orks) cash came up with the name. Check her WIP for all the progress

• Like 1

Now I'm going to be moving somewhere in the next 6 months and I'll be getting rid of every single figure I've ever painted, so keep your eyes open for that one, because it's going to be raining free lead. most of which will be Reaper.

Noooo! I would lose my mind if I had to get rid of my painted minis! I don't know how you're going to do it :(

For these two, I thought you did a really nice job, especially on the skin and the faces! Shogun will be lucky to have them!

• Like 4

I agree with Pixel. I don't even want to give up my unpainted minis. The ones I painted are special to me and it would take a lot for me to give them up. If mine looked as good as what you paint I doubt I'd ever be able to let them go. Good for you if you can.

• Like 2

Don't feel bad because of the lack of comments, especially on a weekend when this forum is the slowest. I'm lucky if I get 4-5 on any of mine. Heck, there was a figure that I spent 3 months painting (off and on for about 25+ hours) which is easily the best thing I've ever painted and it's show off thread never hit two pages and all the comments were just from people who watch my WIP thread anyway. I decided that whatever I get is awesome but at the end of the day I'm painting for myself and not the internet. Also it's 100x easier just to click like as facebook has taught us that likes are all that matter and people are overly obsessed with them here.

It can be hard when you're putting stuff out here, hoping for suggestions for improvement, but these forums aren't really good for that as most people don't want to look at something with a critical eye and instead be encouraging--which is what, in part, gives it it's very friendly atmosphere. When you do feel like doing it can take quite a while, last time I heavily critiqued someone's thing here it took me about 2 days of going back and looking at the figure every few hours to think about it and the go back and check to see if I was remembering it right.

It's why I prefer to comment in WIP threads but it's hard to keep up with all of them and the more I do the less time I paint so I only tend to do a few posts a week.

But if you want something critical I'll say that I've found photo backgrounds like these to make cameras take pictures that are darker then they actually are. Not sure why but I'm sure if you messed with the brightness and contrast the images would be easier to see what you've actually done contrast wise.

It was odd with this post just hanging there in mid air for hours and hours without a comment and I could just picture people laughing and laughing while I went down in a ball of flames.

I'm doing the Like thing now too as it seems to be the convention here and I know people don't always have time to comment, so it's a nice way to let someone know you've at least seen their work.

Thank you for you consideration.

I've always been intrigued by these models. They're great with paint like this.

Thank you!

Haha Anne that comment was brilliant !! Made me laugh . The minis are also really really awesome. Contrast is always good but I like these alot as is.

For other members I'm using these as "tar devils" for the 4e reavers of harkenwold adventure. I've played through it once but now I have minis etc I'm going to run it for my new group (2 newbies, 1 semi new & 1 relatively experienced) so I'm really lookin forward to playing it. I've also got Anne to paint my PC warlock with ice sword , a rogue & one of her own race ideas a d'ork (dark orks) cash came up with the name. Check her WIP for all the progress

You've gotten to know me a bit and understand my sense of humour. It can take some getting used to and the Irish are more of an "acquired" taste. You better like them, as you've got to live with them.

Anne your being to hard on yourself. They both look very nice and I don't see contrast your are talking about

Truly, the little bit of contrast I missed would have taken these from being okay to being really good. It's those tiny things that get you in the end.

Now I'm going to be moving somewhere in the next 6 months and I'll be getting rid of every single figure I've ever painted, so keep your eyes open for that one, because it's going to be raining free lead. most of which will be Reaper.

Noooo! I would lose my mind if I had to get rid of my painted minis! I don't know how you're going to do it :(

For these two, I thought you did a really nice job, especially on the skin and the faces! Shogun will be lucky to have them!

I don't game, I just paint and I've got too many. I never look at them after I'm done and it's silly just to store them in boxes, so giving them to gamers who will actually play with them makes sense. I've never been a pack rat and I hate clutter, so I'm going to get rid of the lot of them.

Edited by AnneO'Leary
  • Like 2

I agree with Pixel. I don't even want to give up my unpainted minis. The ones I painted are special to me and it would take a lot for me to give them up. If mine looked as good as what you paint I doubt I'd ever be able to let them go. Good for you if you can.

The first few I gave away kind of hurt. But after that it was easy and I just spent about $50.00 shipping more to the UK and to Germany. I'm moving and I'm traveling light and these mini's take up space.

First of all, very nice job on those minis! I was never very fond of Skoli in general, but your paint jobs brought them to life in a way that even I appreciate!

Second: WHAT?!?!?!? Giving away all of your minis? Even your super-awesome, incredibly-cute Stonehaven Gnomes???? Not even hanging on to a few for a little display case?

Well, all things considered, I guess they are pretty hard to transport. And at least you'll have plenty of pictures of them; that's always my consolation when I let go of a mini that I painted for a friend. ::):

• Like 1

I don't game, I just paint and I've got too many. I never look at them after I'm done and it's silly just to store them in boxes, so giving them to gamers who will actually play with them makes sense. I've never been a pack rat and I hate clutter, so I'm going to get rid of the lot of them.

I get that. Many of my painted minis are with a friend I used to game with. He's still a very active gamer, and uses the minis all the time for various things he runs and plays in. If I'm not actively using them, I'd much rather he have them so they're getting some active use - and if a random gamer picks up a mini I painted and goes "This is cool!" that's all the better. :)

• Like 1

These frustrated me at first because I'm not used to working with this palette, but I ended up really enjoying these two in the end. I got to do some weathered, rusted metal for the first time and I'm now in love with that technique.

That looks like a challenging color palette to work with, but you pulled it off nicely. I would have shared your frustration (and probably abandoned the effort halfway). And I love your reply to yourself. :upside:

Perhaps it is the photos, but my eye gets a tad lost on the male warrior and ends up focusing on the brightness of the sword, which may not be so much of a bad idea when facing someone with a blade that big...

The armor on the female warrior looks great. The contrast sells it. The weathering on both is well done. Yet one more technique to explore!

• Like 1

Do you feel the same way about the contrast when you look at the figures when you look at them in real life? The camera can change how you feel about your work. I think they look good. If anything, the backgrounds are causing balance issues.

Don't give it all away. There must be a few you feel like hanging onto or will miss.

• Like 3

First of all, very nice job on those minis! I was never very fond of Skoli in general, but your paint jobs brought them to life in a way that even I appreciate!

Second: WHAT?!?!?!? Giving away all of your minis? Even your super-awesome, incredibly-cute Stonehaven Gnomes???? Not even hanging on to a few for a little display case?

Well, all things considered, I guess they are pretty hard to transport. And at least you'll have plenty of pictures of them; that's always my consolation when I let go of a mini that I painted for a friend. ::):

Thank you for the compliment.

The Stonehaven Gnomes I may end up keeping, If I give them away it will be to a member of my family as a Christmas present. Parting with those may be difficult, but I don't have space for them and I can't imagine putting up a display case for my work. One day, when I'm a better painter perhaps.

I get that. Many of my painted minis are with a friend I used to game with. He's still a very active gamer, and uses the minis all the time for various things he runs and plays in. If I'm not actively using them, I'd much rather he have them so they're getting some active use - and if a random gamer picks up a mini I painted and goes "This is cool!" that's all the better. :)

I feel exactly the same way. They should be used in a game rather than sitting around taking up space in my home. That's their purpose. I just put all my "display" pieces in the post to a girlfriend who will appreciate them. Once I'm done with a piece, I never want to look at it again and I'm on to the next figure.

These frustrated me at first because I'm not used to working with this palette, but I ended up really enjoying these two in the end. I got to do some weathered, rusted metal for the first time and I'm now in love with that technique.

That looks like a challenging color palette to work with, but you pulled it off nicely. I would have shared your frustration (and probably abandoned the effort halfway). And I love your reply to yourself. :upside:

Perhaps it is the photos, but my eye gets a tad lost on the male warrior and ends up focusing on the brightness of the sword, which may not be so much of a bad idea when facing someone with a blade that big...

The armor on the female warrior looks great. The contrast sells it. The weathering on both is well done. Yet one more technique to explore!

You're right about the sword dominating the photo. Silver tends to "swamp" the camera. I'm just now beginning to experiment with swords that aren't metal. I hate doing weapons, but if I look at them as a way to do something artistic I may end up liking them.

Oh yeah, I love this technique and have two figures on the table that I'm using it on. You can be sloppy with it and I love that!

Do you feel the same way about the contrast when you look at the figures when you look at them in real life? The camera can change how you feel about your work. I think they look good. If anything, the backgrounds are causing balance issues.

Don't give it all away. There must be a few you feel like hanging onto or will miss.

They do look better in real life and I didn't paint these for the camera like I should have. And they're not based which brings the overall look of the figures down.

I'm keeping my earliest figures as they are rubbish. I'll strip them one day and repaint them.