Dwarven Forge Tiles Painted (Please Add yours)

Ice caverns!  These were fast and easy to paint, but came out pretty good.  Pictures aren't as good as my others (cell phone only), but you get the idea.  I used a small amount of Tamiya clear blue on the undersides of the tiles, then just dry brushed some white. 

post-9097-0-21571000-1425193005_thumb.jpg

post-9097-0-91511300-1425193007_thumb.jpg

post-9097-0-80408900-1425193008_thumb.jpg

post-9097-0-17610300-1425193006_thumb.jpg

post-9097-0-98969900-1425193006_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, there's some really nice examples on this thread.  Those ice canyons are sweet!
My buddy did a batch up for our club.  Basic paintjob for the core set, but they turned out pretty good.

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/10/exploring-underworld-with-dwarven-forge.html

PA243234.jpg

For the caverns he got a bit more colorful.

dwarven-forge-cavern.jpg

Unfortunately they mostly sat in the box until we got them out for a game in November

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/11/battle-report-open-combat-by-second.html

20141120_202245-1.jpg

• Like 8

I'm finally ready to put my DF Cavern Sets on my painting Queue and get them started and going (Probably starting in February).

I'm having an ELF of a time deciding what color scheme I want to use, so I thought I'd open it up to suggestions.

There's 3 real contenders in my mind. My first instinct was LAVA caverns, like Don the Dime did:

15313103973_3a763fae03_c.jpg

And then I saw his amazing caverns and was both inspired AND intimidated...

My second thought, after seeing the AMAZING Ice caverns in this thread was Ice Caverns

And for the third option, I became enchanted by the Colorful version of the caverns indicated in the post above mine.  I'd do my own twist on colorful, actually thinking of going with blues and purples for the stone, and really vibrant for the plant-like formations, with sulfur pits in the smaller water pools.

Now, I think the Ice caverns were done on clear, and mine aren't clear, and google searches for the opaque caverns painted to look like ice do NOT look as good as the ones in this thread, so I'm possibly thinking I won't use that scheme. Plus, there's no way I want to be compared to the awesomeness that was Slashhamster!

Leaving me *really* with two options, LAVA or COLORFUL.

Of course, a third option exists, and that's to do my Caverns as COLORFUL, and my Water Tiles as LAVA, with a small portion of my 3 sets of caverns designed as "Transition" tiles, say 1/2 a set, that transition from Colorful to Lava.

What say you, forums?

I'm having an ELF of a time deciding what color scheme I want to use, so I thought I'd open it up to suggestions.

I know exactly how you feel.  My caverns sets are languishing in unpainted glory for similar reasons.  At this point, I'm too excited for city builder, and will end up painting them first.  Poor caverns are going to sit unloved for awhile longer.

And for the third option, I became enchanted by the Colorful version of the caverns indicated in the post above mine.  I'd do my own twist on colorful, actually thinking of going with blues and purples for the stone, and really vibrant for the plant-like formations, with sulfur pits in the smaller water pools.

Sounds similar to these?  I love that paint scheme, and am similarly torn between an earthy style and something like this.

Now, I think the Ice caverns were done on clear, and mine aren't clear, and google searches for the opaque caverns painted to look like ice do NOT look as good as the ones in this thread, so I'm possibly thinking I won't use that scheme. Plus, there's no way I want to be compared to the awesomeness that was Slashhamster!

Aw, thanks. :blush:   Don't give me too much credit on the ice caverns; they are trivially simple.  But yes, they were the clear caverns, NOT normal dungeon grey.  There's no way what I did would look good over dungeon gray.

I would skip both lava and ice, mostly as I think you don't want all ice or lava caverns.  They're too specialized.  I agree with Heisler, some take on a colorful set (either more earthy or more underworld-y) would be a good choice.  ...and promise, I don't stay that for completely selfish reasons so I can watch your progress/results.  :devil:

Edited by Slashhamster
  • Like 2

Sounds similar to these?  I love that paint scheme, and am similarly torn between an earthy style and something like this.

Similar to those, yes. I am thinking of MUCH brighter plant-structures, possibly incorporating a lot of neons and trying for some bio-pumisecent effects, in addition to the brightness of the sulfur-pit water effects, but I am really giving serious thought to the same dark-blue/purples of the base rocks.

It is my hope that Saturday I can come to Paint Club and do a test run on 2-4 sample tiles to see what it looks like, unless my wife has me doing a different painting project instead.  Re-painting the kitchen...  :wacko:

Testing the Underdark Colorful color scheme.

Used photo references of Sulfur Pits (found on Google Images) for the liquid pools. Color scheme is Underdark Purple with fluorescent molds and fungi for illumination.

Decorating by the Duergar of Underdark Eye for the Surface Guy.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

I like how these 3 test tiles came out, and will begin a thread in WIPs to showcase how I do them as I go through the rest of my DF Caverns. I have a convention next weekend though, so expect not progress or even movement on this topic until the weekend after I get back.