Pingo

Haven't seen any of the other Marvel movies ... ummm, ever, but I am an *old* fan of the comics, so I could watch it without irritating my kids by asking who the heck people were and what was going on, 'cause it was dead obvious from looking at them even if they never mentioned, say, Volstagg's name once the whole time.

I did like that no part of the nine worlds was racially monocultural, not even the elves.

It was a rip-roaring fun movie, even if they gave the Asgardians Star Wars-like tech (shouldn't they have had cooler developed magic instead?). I always found Malekith a little ridiculous, but the movie and Christopher Eccleston made him magnificently scary.

The visuals were nicely designed, I thought. Svartalfheim's sun looked convincingly black, for mindflayer and Spelljammer fans. I liked the Celtic knotwork force fields. All the Asgardians had great hair, fabulous hair, amazing hair, unbelievable hair. Their armor was cool too. The svartalfs had the creepiest helms, all serene faces and big dark eyes.

I will say, it was one of the least English films set in England I have seen since Angela Lansbury did a Miss Marple, and this film didn't even have the excuse of being filmed in America. There were more British accents in Asgard than in London.

Anyone who does not sit through the entire movie credits is a philistine anyway, but virtue is well rewarded here.

• Like 10

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen it yet, but I've seen all the others. In my opinion, these movies were made for women. The best thing for me is, that my husband actually thinks I'm going to these movies to be a good wife. If only he knew what I was dreaming about later that night.....

Edited by AnneO'Leary
  • Like 2

:blink:

Uh, okay.

There was, come to think of it, a gratuitous Thor-gives-himself-a-quick-spongebath scene fairly early on. I did kind of wonder about that.

That wasn't proper fan service!! You see a close up glimpse of a 'pack' not a six pack like a half a pack then he turns around and all you see is his back. PFFT The first movie you got a full on frontal of AWESOME.

• Like 4

It was probably the most unabashedly happy comic book movie to come out in decades. It wasn't a comedy, but it had more laughs than a great many comedies I have seen in recent memory. There was plenty of drama, but these were people who enjoy what they do, and actually have some happiness in their lives.

Both Thor and Loki have serious daddy issues, but it didn't define every aspect of their being. They still managed the emotional aspects though, the scene with Loki and his mother in his cell was heart-wrenching.

I just saw this on Friday, so it's too soon to make any serious proclamations, but this is definitely one of the best comic book movies I've ever seen. Some of the effects and action sequences in Asgard reminded me of the Star Wars prequels, I think this is what those movies tried to be.

The final after credit sequence was amazing, and it was shocking that they held it back to then. It really seemed like the emotional payoff for the entire film, it's a shame so many people will miss it.

• Like 2

I watched it with my 14 year-old daughter. I do believe I heard her mutter "He's so hot" during the sponge bath scene.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Without giving away any spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet, I really liked the scene with Loki and Thor where Loki is showing off his illusion skills.

Definitely a must see movie. I didn't bother with 3-D mostly because I hate having to wear glasses over my glasses.

• Like 3

:blink:

Uh, okay.

There was, come to think of it, a gratuitous Thor-gives-himself-a-quick-spongebath scene fairly early on. I did kind of wonder about that.

That wasn't proper fan service!! You see a close up glimpse of a 'pack' not a six pack like a half a pack then he turns around and all you see is his back. PFFT The first movie you got a full on frontal of AWESOME.

Shoot, just a sponge bath, not good enough, but I'll take what I can get. I've got a still shot from the first one that I treasure. I've also got one of Gerard Butler and my oh my, he's wonderful in it. It rivals the Hemsworth photo. If you like Gerard, you'd pass out over this pic. Personally I think 300 was the best chick flick Hollywood ever made.

• Like 1

Absolutely in love with this movie.

What was at the end of the credits?? We saw that little bit with the 'collector' but that was it!

NM I just looked it up.

The Collector cameo was to set up Guardians of the Galaxy. I remember reading that the director was not happy with it's inclusion since he didn't film it. I thought it was interesting, I didn't know Benicio del Toro would be in Guardians (though it turns out he was announced months ago). But the second sequence, after all the credits were done, was amazing, contained a couple major plot points and really should have been included in the movie proper. It's a good excuse to go see it again, a description you found on the web won't do the scene justice.