Genghis Con XXXV Painting Conference and Competition

Heisler

I'm debating whether to pick up Color Theory or not. I know it will be useful, but it'll be right after another class.... Oh, what the heck, it's only $5. *add*

lol Looks like we're the only two signed up for it as of now. :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's because you were incredibly fast realizing the classes had gone up - Go OneBoot!

I'm a bit overbooked on Saturday, although my scheduled events don't start until 11:30, then it's pretty much back to back until late. I have a feeling that the RPG I scheduled for that night is going to overlap the awards for the painting competition. I'm going to attempt to enter something but do I need to go the awards? Do I want to? I really don't know yet.

I'm so excited!!

• Like 1

If you win something I'll make sure it gets to you. But the awards ceremony is a lot of fun.

See the fun part was kinda what I was thinking I'd miss. I'd also like to see what kinds of minis win things. I'll go with the flow but my priority (obviously, from my registration choices) is painting rather than gaming this go around!

• Like 1

Ok folks - so what does one take to a painting con? I'm thinking:

- my contest minis

- some other finished minis for class critiques or talking to other painters

- my favorite brushes

- water, snacks, phone, charger, overnight stuff, cashy money for the vendors

- pencil, paper, and dice for any RPGs I signed up for (assuming all characters for con games are pregens, and I'm not expected to bring a mini or existing character sheet)

But do you bring your paints or tools or unpainted minis? Just a few faves (brown liner!) or a rolling bag with as much as you can fit? A palette? Anything else where it's just best to have your own rather than what the classes will have to share?

Help out the noob!

For a home show like this one I would bring the following stuff:

1) Competition Pieces (at least one likely to be finished on site)

2) My own brushes

3) My own paints

4) Some tools but probably not all of them

5) A light and an extension cord.

I would skip basing materials because nothing I bring is likely to get that far or it can wait to be based when the show is over (well maybe a little bit in case one of my entries is not quite finished).

Although we do try to provide space for extra painters on site and have lots of lights and power strips, sometimes space gets tight. It is a lot more fun to paint, or sort of paint down in the paint room rather than in your room. We don't have anywhere near as much space as other places do for open painting, just be aware of that.

• Like 2

AH, I think rolling bag was implied somewhere in there, especially if I'm bringing my own paints. Which currently require three boxes to haul, and that will be worse when my HD paints from the 12 days of Reaper arrive.

Luckily my magnifying visor has lights built in, which looks uber geeky but means I can rely on batteries. So not so much with the packing light then. Glad I'm driving and will have a hotel room!

lol I'm just as much a noob to painting cons as you are, but this is what it says in the booklet about the "Hands-On" classes:

Teachers are willing to share paint but you need to come with a brush and a palette or you can make a quick one in the classroom, just get there early if you need to do that. We will have a few inexpensive brushes for sale in the competition room if you need one. You can bring your own paints if you like.

Of course, that's assuming you don't do any painting outside of the classes, which I do plan on doing to help me cement what I learn in the classes in my own time. ^_^

As far as tools, I'm going to plan on bringing my Xacto knife, sanding needles and files, super glue, poster putty, toothpicks (for mixing paint cuz that's how I roll), and my magnification visor (with extra batteries). All of my paint will fit happily in a small tackle box, as well as my brushes and wet palette. I figure I should be set with all of that! ^_^

@Heisler - Will rinse water be provided/readily available, or should we be prepared to carry our own rinse jars with us? Mine have screw-on lids, so that's not a problem, but it would be nice to know. :) Thanks for being patient with our questions! :D

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

We normally have plastic cups and the hotel has water, of course. I prefer a smaller rinse water container, so I bring my own.

I use an 8 oz. Country Crock tub, which fits nicely in my travel kit and also holds my brush cleaner cake. It won't break and it's harder to tip over than those big red plastic cups.

• Like 2

Guess who just registered for OSL! :ph34r:

I'm still not fully sure which days I'll be able to be at the Con (given that one does not simply just take days off from classes), but I just registered, so I guess I'll at least be there Sat and Sun for the contest! Now I just need to persuade several of my friends to come as well. I've had at least three express interest in going, but no one else has totally committed yet.

Does anyone know how quickly the hotel tends to fill up? Since I don't know for sure which days I'll be attending yet, I obviously can't book my room, but I don't want to put things off too long and miss out.

• Like 2

Guess who just registered for OSL! :ph34r:

I'm still not fully sure which days I'll be able to be at the Con (given that one does not simply just take days off from classes), but I just registered, so I guess I'll at least be there Sat and Sun for the contest! Now I just need to persuade several of my friends to come as well. I've had at least three express interest in going, but no one else has totally committed yet.

Does anyone know how quickly the hotel tends to fill up? Since I don't know for sure which days I'll be attending yet, I obviously can't book my room, but I don't want to put things off too long and miss out.

Kuro, I think you can make a reservation now and cancel it later without any fee, as long as it's long enough in advance that you cancel. Per Red Lion's webpage:

"My travel plans have changed, how do I make changes to my reservation?

If your booking was created through our central reservations office or on redlion.com, you can modify it by calling 800-Red Lion (1-800-733-5466). Some restrictions may apply for reservations that have special deposit or cancellation rules."

I would call and ask if the rate we are getting has special cancellation rules. If not, why not book now? They'll take a credit card to hold the reservation, but they won't charge it.

Edited by Pixel
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reminder about bringing supplies!

I will bring my whole bones case, as I intend to use them as much as possible for RPGs.

ill bring brushes and my pallet of skin tones. (rosy, flat, sunny and a flesh wash) then borrow whatever needs to be mixed with those.

after some thought ill reserve the 1-6 saturday slot for painting.

Faces and skin + Blending.

maybe even a photo class on sunday.

3 games run, 2-3 painting events.

If I want more events I have to talk my wife into staying home all Friday.

I can't sign up until I get credited for running pathfinder games... ie it still looks like I will be showing up and convincing them in person I am running enough games for a free badge, and signing up on the spot or getting generics for games.

Do the painting classes normally have open spots/cancellations like the rpgs at this con?

Edited by Evilhalfling