The Night of the Doctor - Doctor Who Mini Episode

Nocturne

Mini episode prequel for the 50th anniversary. Watch it before it get's spoiled.

EDIT: Spoiler notes

As well as finally giving the 8th Doctor a proper send off and mentioning his companions, the possibility to regenerate as a different gender has been made canon.

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 4

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However, (having watched this thing repeatedly this morning) I am left with questions.

Namely, is Matt Smith now 12, or is John Hurt "8.5"?

My take on it

Matt is still 11. John Hurt becomes so far removed from being The Doctor that he's treated separately, hence calling him the War Doctor rather than the Doctor.

EDIT: Should also note that canon-wise, the 12 regeneration limits has been dropped.They've been suggesting for a while that the limit was imposed on them by the rulers of Galifrey rather than an actual physical limitation but they aren't around anymore.

Edited by Nocturne

However, (having watched this thing repeatedly this morning) I am left with questions.

My take on it

Matt is still 11. John Hurt becomes so far removed from being The Doctor that he's treated separately, hence calling him the War Doctor rather than the Doctor.

EDIT: Should also note that canon-wise, the 12 regeneration limits has been dropped.They've been suggesting for a while that the limit was imposed on them by the rulers of Galifrey rather than an actual physical limitation but they aren't around anymore.

The 12 regen limit was surpassed by the Master several times, and it has been canonical since Sixie that the Time Lords could bypass that limit if they wanted, it was an artificial - legal limit, not a natural biological limit, imposed because more than that and it was believed a time lord became dangerous and unstable - too many lives and memories, too much contradiction in their head.

So ridiculously happy to see McGann get a proper regeneration. I always thought his adventures would have been fun.

My take on it

That was amazing! This confirmed my personal theory as to where the Valeyard fit in.

Even though they have hinted time and again that it was possible to exceed the 12 regen limit, I want them to address it in the show. I do hope Matt is actually considered 12, then Peter will be the 13th, and it could be a great plot point of the next series having the doctor dealing with his potential mortality. I would like to see the doctor face that reality, and see how he copes. Of course they have repeatedly created other possibilities to get around the limit, but I hope they don't just handwave it away.

And I agree with Bryan, it's nice to see the 8th get a proper regen, and for once the doctor being significantly aged from his last appearance makes sense, since he has the decade or so of novels and audio plays to cover.

I've been avoiding the trailers and stuff for the Golden Whobilee, but this isn't a spoiler, it's a prequel, so I went ahead and watched it. Nice of them to give 8 a proper send-off. And yeah, for convenience's sake, Smith is still the Eleventh Doctor, since Hurt isn't a proper Doctor at all. I do agree that a Valeyard tie-in is likely, though it's unusual that they haven't referred to him by that name yet.

Oh, and the ability to change sex when regenerating has been canon since The Doctor's Wife.

Isn't the new Dr. Who going to be starting up again soon? I may be lynched for this, but I've only seen a couple of episodes of the previous Doctor total. I'm thinking I should start watching the new episodes w/ the new Doctor when they start up to see what all the fuss is about.

Isn't the new Dr. Who going to be starting up again soon? I may be lynched for this, but I've only seen a couple of episodes of the previous Doctor total. I'm thinking I should start watching the new episodes w/ the new Doctor when they start up to see what all the fuss is about.

Yeah, this is the prequel for the show's "Golden Whobilee," or 50th anniversary episode, which airs on the 23rd. Then there's the Christmas episode, and then the next season starts up after that. I'd really suggest starting at the beginning of the new series, with Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor, and watching up through until now. There's a lot great stuff you'll be missing if you skip any of the Doctors, and this season isn't going to be a great jumping-on point, since the last one left off on a pretty huge game-changing cliff-hanger.

EDIT: Oh, and I think Netflix has all of them up to last season if you have that.

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 1

Yep. The Doctor is a time-traveling alien, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new body, with a new personality, but keeps all of his memories and stuff intact. Which is a really brilliant strategy if you want to have a long-running show, since you can just keep casting new actors to play the main character. So yeah, there's a 50-year history to the show that ties into this one. They got cancelled in the late 80s, and then were revived in 2005. (This season is dealing a lot with what happened during that gap.) The revival was deliberately set up as a good jumping-on point, so that's really where I'd suggest starting. Give it a few episodes though, the pilot was pretty weak for some reason.

If you want to skip straight to one of the great ones, go for Series 3 Episode 10, "Blink". Introduced one of the coolest and creepiest villains the show has ever had, plus an oft-repeated catchphrase, plus played around with time in a really neat way. And then go back and start from Series 1 Episode 1, "Rose".

• Like 1

So all of the doctors are related to each other somehow? Like reborn or a new incarnation? Basically that there's a back-story w/ the previous doctor that ties into THIS new one?

They're the same person. When his body dies, it regenerates itself into a completely new one. Everything changes, including superficial elements of his personality but at the core he remains the same person and retains the memory of all previous lives.

• Like 1