Sign in to follow this  
Bonwirn

Charter, why do you do stupid things?

So, Charter has decided to go all digital in my area. So, EVERY tv in the house now needs a set top box, even the one with digital tuners. We had two HD boxes in the house, so I had to go get four more boxes for the rest of the tvs. One box went in smoothly, and the tech at the store said I could hook all four up at the same time. So the other three got hooked up as fast as I could go room to room. Guess what? Yup, none of those three work. The first one gets no channels, the second one get some channels, but it's hit or miss. The third one? Actually gives an error message that the tech did not recognize... Ref 0915?

Wish Shabang lived closer to come fix this crap... Why did they have to change?

Oh, and each additional box is &5 a month.... Should I get a discount because I am now getting fewer channels than I was before?

Edited by Bonwirn
  • Like 1

You have six TVs??? How big is your house? :blink: Still, that sucks. Where do you live? You might be better off going for an arial - that's what we did, and it works great! Even made it ourselves, out of coathangers and PVC - my dad stuck it on the roof & wired it up, and we get about 45 channels, and everything else we stream through a Wii or a laptop...

• Like 2

Oh, I remember that pain. Our cable went all digital first, which was tolerable because we had newer tvs that didn't require boxes. Then they decided they needed to encrypt their lowest tier of cable because of all those people stealing the local channels and public television from them. So now I was forced to get cable boxes, and it's a pain. Never mind that now most stations broadcast in widescreen format, we have widescreen tvs, but the cable box gives us the image that's cropped at the sides.

Plus our computer that used to record shows for us no longer works. I'm not impressed.

• Like 1

You know, people would probably pirate things less if they didn't make it so difficult to get things legitimately... (NSFW for language)

Seriously though, I have so little interest in giving money to people/companies that want me to pay for the privilege of getting screwed over. The whole philosophy behind DRM etc. is backwards. You can't solve theft by punishing your legitimate customers.

• Like 14

They all do this. They find ways to charge existing customers more and give them less. I bet if you look at their adverts for new customers you'll see that they are giving them really good deals to sign up. I got so angry 4 years ago, I threw out all my tellies. I refuse to reward companies that screw the consumer over. And then consider that just about everything on the telly is crap and you're paying for it. Plus you have to sit through adverts. No way. I use Netflix, the Youtube and "other means" of watching my programmes on my computer. All of which leaves me more money to spend on mini's.

• Like 11

I just used Netflix and old DVDs I've had for ages, which I watch on my computer. I haven't turned on my tv once since my ex moved away in September. Don't really see myself using it anytime in the near future so I'm glad I didn't pay for it (was an extra my mom had).

Of course, the wii (which I did pay for) is also sitting there collecting dust. Maybe one of these days I'll turn it on an actually play a game. Probably not, though. ::P:

• Like 2

I'm with Anne. Netflix and Hulu Plus are the extent of my TV watching these days - I have cable for internet, and that's it. Once I was able to get rid of my cable TV package, I did so and never looked back.

• Like 2

Yeah, I have a really hard time seeing myself ever buying a TV, let alone paying for cable. I have Netflix, the internet, and an incredible lack of desire to watch things the moment they air. Maybe I'll get an old one of Craigslist or something to hook a game console up to, but I'm also getting decreasingly interested in those as I watch the way DRM is headed. I've sworn off XBox forever after the One fiasco. They've shown themselves to be all-too-willing to screw the customer over in favor of themselves and their affiliates, and I suspect it's just a matter of time before Sony and Nintendo follow suit. Sure, they relented, but there's no doubt that they'll bring those "features" back one at a time. I'm sticking to indie PC games for now, thanks.

And it's not like I ever play any console game but Super Smash Bros. anyway, so as long as I have a way to do that, I'm good. ^_^

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 5

You know, people would probably pirate things less if they didn't make it so difficult to get things legitimately... (NSFW for language)

Seriously though, I have so little interest in giving money to people/companies that want me to pay for the privilege of getting screwed over. The whole philosophy behind DRM etc. is backwards. You can't solve theft by punishing your legitimate customers.

You're preaching to the choir here, friend. I gave up on all cable TV about 2 years ago and use Netflix and online websites (no not the illegal ones - turns out the shows I really like can be watched on places like the Comedy Network). i haven't missed it at all. Even got back into listening to the hockey games on the radio again - a much loved pastime of my youth (the play-by-play is amazing in my area on the radio) that I stopped many years ago - love it!

• Like 4

You have six TVs??? How big is your house? :blink: Still, that sucks. Where do you live? You might be better off going for an arial - that's what we did, and it works great! Even made it ourselves, out of coathangers and PVC - my dad stuck it on the roof & wired it up, and we get about 45 channels, and everything else we stream through a Wii or a laptop...

Since the FCC is requiring all broadcasts to eventually go all-digital, your aerial (assuming you're in the US) may be useless for any TV more than 5-7 years old (they will not have digital tuners). You can buy a digital tuner box, which is what the coupons the fed offered however many years back was for.

Bonwirn, I'll PM you my work number, I can take a bit of a look from there.

-Dave

I suggest you do what I did, stop keeping up with all the technology! I literally quit DirecTV in November of 2010 and have been exclusively using Netflix ($8/month) and downloading stuff online. I have no stress related to the big TV providers anymore, and no commercials!!!!

• Like 2