Sign in to follow this  
ShadowRaven

Reaper Forums Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

Because I have not seen one since I came here many moons ago, and even if there is such I would have to perform necromantic rituals to awaken it, I've decided to see if there is enough interest to keep one going the only way I know how. By starting it myself. So, let's discuss, just remember to keep it PG 13 and watch for spoilers.

So my friends, what examples of this art form are you enjoying at present?

right now I am re-reading Ken Akamatsu's break out classic 'Love Hina' and waiting for the next episode of "Outbreak Company" to air

• Like 2

I really enjoyed Love Hina, nice manga (shame about the anime).

The main one I'm reading at the moment is Attack on Titan, just started on Volume 5. Easily one of the most wonderfully disturbing monsters in print.

I've been trying to get hold of Berserk but stalled on volume 3, most of the early ones are out of print and currently I can only find it for a ridiculous price. I took ages to find 3 though and that suddenly appeared again at RRP so I'm hopeful.

As for anime I'm watching a few at the moment, mix of DVD and currently airing.

Accel World

Area 88

Claymore

Galilei Donna

Gundam X

Gunslinger Girls

Kill la Kill

Kyoukai no Kanata

Nisemonogatari

Noein

Robotics;Notes

Speedgrapher

Tokyo Majin

Witchblade

Of those that are currently airing Kill la Kill is my favourite at the moment for it's sheer insanity. Same studio and director as Gurren Lagann, only crazier.....

Only a couple of episodes into Kyoukai no Kanata but that's also looking very good.

EDIT: Foirgot the ones I'm watching on Manga's YouTube channel.

Dirty Pair and Sound of the Skies.

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 1

Sound of the Sky is awesome, I'm waiting for more episodes of Kill la Kill to be out before I begin it, because from what I've heard of it, it's the kind I am going to sit and watch half a season in a single night

I agree on Love Hina manga vs. anime. I'd like to reread it, but sadly, it's in storage... ::(:

When I'm home and the munchkin's not around, I've been watching "Heaven's Lost Property", a hilarious NSFW anime about a panty-loving teenaged pervert and the buxom angel(oid) that fell from the sky and calls herself his pet. It's bizarre, hilarious, and somehow makes its man-child protagonist not a complete and total waste of space (as is typical).

As I've commented previously, I've also been poking at Girls Bravo and Rosario + Vampire. R+V has been incredibly disappointing (and yet... I keep watching it...), Girls Bravo started poorly and improved. Both are harem comedy anime (like Love Hina or Ranma 1/2) and are typical of the genre.

When the munchkin is around, I've been watching Fairy Tale - a dieselpunk fantasy following a group of misfits in their misfit wizard guild (the titular "Fairy Tale" guild) and their misadventures trying to earn money and fight evil.

Girls Bravo is fun, I've still not seen the anime, but I quite enjoyed the manga. I have to agree on R+V my niece loves it, but me...I found it very 'meh'

Fairy Tale is fun most of the time, but it's another one of those series that I find I burn out on, like Bleach or Naruto because it just never ever ends

It does have a bit of a Bleach vibe to it, now that you mention it.

I never got into Naruto.

Also, I'll say one good thing about R+V; it inspired this year's NaNovel, because I watched way too many episodes and said "man, I can do better than this."

• Like 3

I freaking adore "Alive: Final Evolution" manga and the Akira manga. Movies good, but the manga is better. The girl that leapt through time is my favorite anime movie, not considering any miyazaki films. Princess mononoke would win hands down....I can go on alllll day but I'm being tame.

Oh and sayonara zetsubou sensei is hilarious if you're knowledgeable about Japanese culture, folklore and language. All of the characters names are puns.

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 2

The anime of Rosario + Vampire is fairly poor, it's ok, I like the characters and enjoyed it the first time I watched it BUT:

At the end of the first season the anime and the manga diverge drastically. Wheras the anime retiains the harem comedy tone the manga goes full on into an action series, and whilst it is still a comedy there is a much darker tone that keeps rising up.

For example: in the anime

during season 2 they travel to Mizore's village for a ski holiday, there's fun, Tskune and Kokoa get in trouble, they think Mizores dad is a yei etc etc lol lol silly comedy

Wheras the same story arc in the manga

they travel to Mizore's village because she's being forced into an arranged marriage with a human as their specias are only sexually viable for a short period and she needs to breed to help continue her race. The marriage has been forced on her by the priestess that runs the community who turns out to be in control of a organisation thats trying to take control of parts of the monster realm to work towards ressurecting the first vampire who will devour the world, Mizore is assaulted by her fiancee and later attempts suicide but is prevented by Kurumu and the good guys discover the plot and are able to free the snow village but are now in open confrontation with the evil organisation.... no lols are had

Also by this point Tskune is a ghoul after having fed on Moka's blood instead of just having got better and gone back to normal like at the end of the first season of the anime,

If you like just a little bit about the anime I highly recommend the manga. It's a world apart and vastly better.

Edited by Nocturne

Oh yes. Don't get me started on the works of Miyazaki sensei. It is such a shame he's retired now, though I can't fault him. I can not think of a single one of his works I did not enjoy, and some like 'Spirited Away' and 'Princess Mononoke' I just adore. 'Kiki's Delivery Service' was for the longest time my 'to watch' movie when I was under the weather. I think, since I gave my copy away, I will have to replace it with "My neighbor Totoro" or "Ponyo"

• Like 4

I haven't been that impressed with Miyazaki's latest stuff; Ponyo didn't win me, Howl's Moving Castle was good but I liked the book better, Princess Mononoke was pretty but I haven't felt the urge to ever see it again.

Whereas Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle In The Sky, and Spirited Away are sheer awesome, and I can watch them over and over again.

• Like 2

There's definately two distinct eras of Miyazaki's work. I like them both personally but they do feel different.

I absolutely love Princess Mononoke but possibly Porco Rosso is my favourite.

• Like 1

A lifelong anime nut with a wife who is certifiably insane for Japanese culture, I have to shamefully admit that I have not had much time for anime lately. (Two jobs will do that to you.)

However, what I have viewed was excellent. Latest was Sword Art Online, which, despite a little unnecessary fan service in the second story arc, was well worth watching. Beautifully animated, smart and emotionally satisfying. Some have compared it to .Hack, but I don't think that's fair. Though the anime came much later, both franchises had their origins in the same year. The similarity is just skin deep, and likely coincidental.

SAO is easily the better of the two.

• Like 1

I'm not currently watching or reading anything.

Technically, I need to catch up on Crunchyroll with Free!, My Eccentric Family, Silver Spoon, and.... I forget what else (those were just my favorite three from the newest crop, though Servant x Service was great too, I may have watched all of those). But I binged on anime a few weeks ago and haven't had the patience for anything since.

I also need to see if there are any fan-translated chapters of Skip Beat! ready for me to read. (IIRC, the English translations are yonks behind the new stuff, so.... yeah.) I think this is the only manga I am really moony for right now. I need to catch up on Swan and I'd like to complete my collection of La Corda d'Oro.