Reaper Forums Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

ShadowRaven

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat up and watched evangelion 3.33.......I'm extremely disappointed. I mean....extremely.

Oh, man. I can't wait to see it. I've done some reading about it and I know things get... Weird, but I still want to see it. Hopefully, in theaters.

Now, over in the Random thread, OneBoot was talking about trying to watch the original of the series (thank you, MissMelons for providing a nice segue to this topic). If you're going to watch it on DVD, you have to track down the 'Platinum Perfect Complete' collection. Why? You see, when they transferred the series from VHS to DVD, they cut about 90 or so seconds out of each episode. Trust me, I have seen the series enough that I noticed it when it first came out on DVD. Then, they did the 'Platinum' series release, which all remastered and they added those seconds back in, in addition to doing the 'Director's Cut' versions of some of the last few episodes. The PlatPerCom version is the slim case version of the whole thing that comes in a very nice metal case. Given that ADV is gone, I have no idea what it'll cost now, but I snagged it on pre-release for a hair under $100.

Now, when you get in to the movies, things get even more tricky and expensive. The US Manga Corp somehow got the rights to the movies (Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion) but they didn't do a long run of the DVDs, so it's something like $40 for beat-up copy of the DVD. When you get around to watching the movies, watch Death then pop in EoE, because Rebirth is the first half of EoE. Some people say you can skip Death and Rebirth completely and go straight on to EoE, but I like Death. Call me crazy.

Finally, there's the Rebuilds. DO NOT WATCH THESE UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THE ORIGINAL! They say they made them accessible and blah, blah, blah, but they aren't and if you watch them first, you will ruin major plot points for the original show. If you can, get the two-disc sets to watch. Well, if you like special features, that is.

I'm not going to get in to what exactly my thoughts about what the Rebuilds are because I've already written enough about this for one day. Plus, I don't like using spoiler tags...

The Apostle of Evangelion has spoken.

::P:

• Like 3

Finally, there's the Rebuilds. DO NOT WATCH THESE UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THE ORIGINAL! They say they made them accessible and blah, blah, blah, but they aren't and if you watch them first, you will ruin major plot points for the original show. If you can, get the two-disc sets to watch. Well, if you like special features, that is.

I'm not going to get in to what exactly my thoughts about what the Rebuilds are because I've already written enough about this for one day. Plus, I don't like using spoiler tags...

Yeah the rule to not watch the rebuilds until you've seen the original isn't going to matter with the last Evangelion movie....The entire original show isn't going to matter o.o You'll see what I mean when you see 3.33. To be honest, I'm still traumatized. I'm going to have to watch the first and second movie all over again if I'm going to follow this new.....thing. It's like this entire time I thought the sky was blue but then Evangelion 3.33 came out and it's like "NAW ^@##%$ It's Red! Then it preceeds to take advantage of my naivety

• Like 1

:blink:

I had no idea there were so many options for Evangelion. I was just trying to find a good show to watch with Husband that we'll both enjoy (a tall order, since our tastes are quite different; we tend to settle on "fighting anime with at least some plot and half-way interesting characters" more than I'd like, but that's life), and both from what I've read and what a few friends have said, this seemed to fit the bill.

As far as purchasing it...Husband doesn't like to rewatch things. Like, at all. So, we don't tend to buy movies/shows unless I'm really insistent. Which is why shows that are available to watch online are preferable. Hence my frustration that I've had difficulty finding it, though after a great deal of digging I was able to find Neon Genesis. I watched the first episode and am impressed so far; then again, I'm not at all familiar with the series in any way shape or form, so I've nothing to compare it to. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

you and your hubby should try Guren Lagan then. and the anime version of Gunparade March might be up your alley as well.

How are they in terms of fanservice, profanity and general violence (blood/gore)? Those tend to be the things we look at before letting ourselves be interested in a series. ^_^

Watched the first two episodes of NGE with Husband and found out that he's seen at least some of it before. I'm enjoying it, but I'm waiting to see if the fanservice level improves before deciding whether to watch much more. I'm here to watch giant robots smash each other, darn it! <_<

Huzzah!

I found Gunparade March very dull to be honest, didn't like it at all.

If you do want fanservice and plenty of action then Kill la Kill is essential, currently still airing though. Same director and studio as Gurren Lagann.

I would also recommend Star Driver. Good story and some truly stunning giant robot fights.

It's got more of a pretty boy swashbuckler set up than most series, and some of the best explosions

Never saw more than a couple episodes of NGE.

Really enjoyed RahXephon for stompy robot fights, though.

And on the slightly related subject, I think you and the Witch-King might enjoy Planetes, Mrs. Boot. Mild violence, not horrendous language, no fan-service that I recall, interesting characters, great story (space garbage collectors and the first manned mission to Jupiter.) One of my favorites.

No stompy robots, though.

• Like 1

Yeah the rule to not watch the rebuilds until you've seen the original isn't going to matter with the last Evangelion movie....The entire original show isn't going to matter o.o You'll see what I mean when you see 3.33. To be honest, I'm still traumatized. I'm going to have to watch the first and second movie all over again if I'm going to follow this new.....thing. It's like this entire time I thought the sky was blue but then Evangelion 3.33 came out and it's like "NAW ^@##%$ It's Red! Then it preceeds to take advantage of my naivety

This is true that 3.0 goes way, way out there, but if you watch 1.0 and/or 2.0 before seeing the original, there's a ton of things that you'll miss or will be ruined when you see the original (Example in 2.0 Toji: "I guess I didn't win this time." Example in 1.0... the Fifth Child might be a big one)

also, do not watch NGE if you are prone to depression, melancholy, anxiety, schizophrenia, heart palpitations, chronic bronchitis, bouts of unplanned murderous rage, epileptic seizures, or lobotomization.

I agree with this. I watched it when I was 15-16 and really depressed. My world was broken in a lot of ways because of this show.

:blink:

I had no idea there were so many options for Evangelion. I was just trying to find a good show to watch with Husband that we'll both enjoy (a tall order, since our tastes are quite different; we tend to settle on "fighting anime with at least some plot and half-way interesting characters" more than I'd like, but that's life), and both from what I've read and what a few friends have said, this seemed to fit the bill.

As far as purchasing it...Husband doesn't like to rewatch things. Like, at all. So, we don't tend to buy movies/shows unless I'm really insistent. Which is why shows that are available to watch online are preferable. Hence my frustration that I've had difficulty finding it, though after a great deal of digging I was able to find Neon Genesis. I watched the first episode and am impressed so far; then again, I'm not at all familiar with the series in any way shape or form, so I've nothing to compare it to. ^_^

Huzzah!

I'm pretty sure Netflix has the PlatPerCom version on disc. There's so many different versions because the show is a gold mine. I've heard that in Japan, they call Rei Ayanami "The girl who can sell anything." Put her on phone cards? They sell out in days. Coffee cans? Sold out in hours. Seriously, slap a picture of her on something and someone will buy it.

you and your hubby should try Guren Lagan then. and the anime version of Gunparade March might be up your alley as well.

How are they in terms of fanservice, profanity and general violence (blood/gore)? Those tend to be the things we look at before letting ourselves be interested in a series. ^_^

Watched the first two episodes of NGE with Husband and found out that he's seen at least some of it before. I'm enjoying it, but I'm waiting to see if the fanservice level improves before deciding whether to watch much more. I'm here to watch giant robots smash each other, darn it! <_<

Huzzah!

Yeah, you're kinda watching the wrong show (NGE) for robot smashing... Oh, there's some... Before it does terrible, terrible things to your mind and gives you an mental break down. I like the show, I enjoy it, but god damn does it mess with my head every time.

Plus, we haven't even talked about the manga yet and that adds even more layers to the crazy cake.

For example, Gendo hates Shinji because he took all of his mother's love.

Just finished episode 4 of NGE. Still enjoying it, and no fanservice since episode 2. Perhaps it's like Soul Eater, where the first three episodes were pretty bad, but after that it calmed waaaay down. :wacko:

I actually love shows/movies/books that rip my beating heart out of my chest, tear it to shreds, and then stomp around on it for awhile before shoving it back in. I like to feel what the characters are feeling, and the more intense the emotion, the better I'm able to do that. Thanks for the advance warning, I'll be keeping a box of tissues handy from now on. ^_^

@Last Knight - RahXephon sounds really neat, particularly the fact that music is an integral part of it. Being a very musical person, this appeals to me. Added to list of to-watch! *scribble* Planetes sounds interesting, but I'd have to watch a few episodes to see what it's really about, I think, though "interesting characters and great story" rather pique my interest. ^_^ Also added to list, thank you for the suggestions!

In other news, I've been watching Batman Beyond (animated series, also known as Batman of the Future in some countries) and Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 0 on my own, and quite enjoying both. Season 0 is quite...different from the "children's card game" version, but I kind of like the darker feel of it thus far. :)

Huzzah!

• Like 1