Sign in to follow this  
ShadowRaven

Reaper Forums Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

Ah yes "Nylarhotep the creeping chaos that creeps up on you with a smile" I never did get into that particular show, but I don't care for the C'thulu mythos. Still hadto give it a shot

I agree. It's not my kind of show at all either but I know a lot of the references and that keeps me watching.

What is the name of this anime?

It's Haiyore! Nyaruko-san. Just to warn you, they annihilate any trace of authentic mythos and replace it with something that makes you loose IQ points instead of sanity points. It's fun in a very absurd Japanese way, not in an H.P. Lovecraft horror way. I'm just enough of a mythos nerd to keep watching. Hardcore Cthulhu fans will probably either be lighthearted enough to get a kick out of it, get insulted by the ridiculous cross-genre harem aspect of it, intensely hate it, or like it. I'm on episode 9 and I can't imagine anyone loving this show. They should've thrown in some magical girl transformations only with full on killer Nyarlathotep action.

It also has a TON of references to other anime. If you know a lot of them it can be a fun part of the show. I'm probably going to finish the series. I only found out about this show after finishing "Binbougami ga!" (which I loved!) and saw "Haiyore! Nyaruko-san" recommended for fans of Binbougami on MyAnimeList.net.

I think I'll pass. I'm not a huge Mythos fan but I don't think something that combines H.P. Lovecraft and Japanese Magical Girls is going to anywhere near good.

But, speaking of things that are good, I'm re-reading the Appleseed manga. I love me some Shirow stuff. I wish he did more or, you know, actually finished his stuff rather then just letting it stop when he starts something else.

Funnily enough, seeing the last few posts has actually interested me in it. I know that Japanese rpgers have discovered the Mythos and are -chan-ifying it and I am curious as to the type of anime that serves to cater to this niche interest.

Of course, I expect to hate it, but I sometimes seek out train wrecks intentionally.

• Like 4

Demonbane was also based on the Mythos and Nyarlathotep likewise makes an appearance. Definately not a cutsey series as it's based on a very naughty game.

Cthulhu of a sorts appeared in Fate/Zero as well. It was a great monster, tentacles everywhere, but not really Cthulhu. It appears as a spell used by Gilles de Rais. The series heavily leans on the darker aspects of the real person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gille_de_Rais#Occult_involvement

I wanted to like Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, but there was just too much fan pandering. Plus the episode that went all soap box against the Tokyo manga law was a dealbreaker.

Nocturne, on 04 Jan 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Demonbane was also based on the Mythos and Nyarlathotep likewise makes an appearance. Definately not a cutsey series as it's based on a very naughty game.

And the anime doesn't veer too far away from it's roots with the living tomes mostly being females of debatable ages in lingerie.

Edited by scorpio616

Funnily enough, seeing the last few posts has actually interested me in it. I know that Japanese rpgers have discovered the Mythos and are -chan-ifying it and I am curious as to the type of anime that serves to cater to this niche interest.

Of course, I expect to hate it, but I sometimes seek out train wrecks intentionally.

Cutesy and Cthulhu in anime? I think that's about it. I mean other than that one episode of Digimon season 2 where some cute fish digimon turned into Shadowy Deep Ones but they stopped being cutesy.

Maybe this, but seems kinda a stretch

Once saw a Dunwich horror monstergirl fan art that took after the mother almost as much as the father. Oh here is cutesy Lovecraft inspired pic I found...

mv1b.jpg

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/EldritchAbomination/Anime

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 1

Been chilling my spine to get ready for the cold snap with some of Masaaki Nakayama's manga series Fuan_no_Tane. His elegantly simple spirit designs are freaking terrifying, like they are hitting ancestral memory dead on. Sadly I suspect the live action is going to be pure Special Effects Failure. EDIT: And they slammed some Jrock into the trailer. It wasn't bad jrock, it would make fine boss music for a Castlevania game, but quite jarring in a movie trailer of this type.

Also just found out about 6000 -ロクセン- / 6000: The Deep Sea of Madness. Seems good so far.

Edited by scorpio616

Soooo... Husband and I just finished watching Evangelion the other day.

And boy howdy, did the last two episodes ever take a hard sideways corkscrew into Crazy town, located smack dab in the center of Bizarre county. :blink::blink::blink:

After we scratched our heads in befuddlement for awhile, I went to Wikipedia to see if the written summary made any more sense, and discovered that there was a film remake of the last two episodes.

We watched that today.

And while it certainly explained things better than the original ending, it still went real weird toward the end. My brain experienced the equivalent of a car engine being thrown from Drive into Reverse while going down the freeway when the animation switched over to live action.

As for how I felt about it, I think the words of one critic sums it up perfectly: "a dark, brutal, psychedelic orgy of sex and violence that culminated in the mass extinction of humanity set to an optimistic J-pop song with lyrics about suicide."

I just...it...arghblah. *clutches head*

If you'll excuse me, I think I need to go find some mind bleach now.

*goes and watches cute fuzzy kitten videos for an hour*

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I did really enjoy the series for the most part! It was really just the ending that I disliked so strongly. :unsure:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot

Auuugh! So many other anime have main characters I want to see dead, but those obnoxious twits get to live. But I find the one where the actually cool main character dies way too god blasted soon AUUUGH!

Anime name withheld for spoiler reasons.

One more episode of Galilei Donna left to watch. I was a little up and down on this initially, then the middle was excellent then it suddenly jumped the shark a bit*, which for an eleven episode series is quite an impressive feat. Got back on track by the end of the penultimate episode so hopefully the finale will be ok.

time travel from nowhere

Still, at least the opening is great though.

Edited by Nocturne

Does anyone know if L5R has an anime series based on it? It seems to me that there are several events in the history of L5R that would lend themselves very well to being rendered into an anime series. Clan War being the first but not last.

• Like 1

I'm not aware of one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. A quick Google search doesn't show any. (Nor do I think it... likely.)

But I'm sure we could cobble together a list of anime that might scratch the itch, if you were interested? (Never played L5R myself, but I've read into the books off and on through the years because I think it's interesting.)

I'm not aware of any film or series based on L5R, there definitely isn't any anime.

Here's a few Samurai based anime series though if you're looking for any (does include sci-fi as well as historical/fantasy though)

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/all?filter_mode=anime&include_types=8,2,7,4,1,6,3,5&include_tags=195&exclude_tags=none&include_status=none&mt=1

• Like 1