Daximillian

Daximillian's WIP (mostly Bones)

Hail Repearites,

Since my Bones I Kickstarter package arrived recently and I started to paint them, I decided that now is a good time to sporadically post my progress here, and maybe receive some valuable input.

These are all meant to be tabletop quality (i.e. better quality than WotC's minis - the old batches).

I am a newbie painter.

I don't have a lot of spare time, so I sneak a few minutes here and there where I can.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

First up is a WIP of a paint and take from a local comic convention. We painted three space marines in 45 minutes, using truly horrendous brushes (think of Buglips brushes post Kaladrax), and Citadel paints (one red for base coating, one brown wash for shadowing everything, one pink dry goo for highlighting, and one grey gravelly paint for the base. I wish that I had taken down their names).

This was a lot of fun, and most of all proved to me that I CAN paint minis quick and dirty and yet get a good enough result for tabletop games.

The space marines were primed in black when we got them. The first coat was just sloshing red paint over them. The brushes allowed for no subtlety here. Think of painting a Reaper Bones Kobold with a tree trunk and you'll get the idea.

post-12932-0-76319800-1384595289_thumb.jpg

Second coat: weird pink highlights. iPhone camera barely shows them, so you'll have to believe me.

Third coat: shadow with the black/brown wash/ink - I think it had oil in the name.

post-12932-0-39960200-1384595640_thumb.jpg

Final coat: basing the marines with a grey paint that had little bits of gravel on it - and explained why the brushes looked the way they were.

post-12932-0-96847500-1384595740_thumb.jpg

After that I did some touch ups, but for some reason I can't find a picture of the results. I'll snap one later and attach it to this post.

Next post : Flesh Golem, the oh so famous rats, and an orc and a goblin meet in an adventuring group.

• Like 2

First off, Welcome to the hobby!

Second, this is the right place if you want to improve. There are tons of fantastic (and friendly) painters around here.

A little advice on your Marines up there:

1. Are you thinning your paints? They look a little thick, and thick paint will obscure the details. As a general rule, I thin my paints (with distilled water) to the consistency of whole milk. It sounds really thin, and it is. It will take many coats to cover properly, but your details will still be workable.

2. Normally when I highlight red, I mix in orange. It keeps the red reading as red. If you shift towards white, your reds will generally read as pink.

Nice start, keep practicing, and experimentation is the only true way to learn. ::):

Welcome to the boards and welcome to miniature painting!

Some color commentary (note: Pun not intended):

Reds are a bear, and dsmiles gives a great way of doing red highlights (and is similar to the one I use!).

I'm pro ink use with GW figures, but your order was a little "off" in my mind. Given the ink idea your steps should be:

1: Base coatS of red (dsmiles is right about thinning the paint and multiple coats), unless your paint is amazingly good at coverage when thinned to a proper consistency.

2: INK wash.

3: Bring your middle areas back to your mid-tone, after leaving the ink to settle.

4-6: Choose an orange near your red but different enough to show a higher tone value, mix the two starting with a 2:1 Red:Orange ratio, building up to a 1:1, then 1:2 (each being red:orange).

Another red technique to give you a vibrant red (assuming you're using one red tone):

1: The model should be primed white.

2: Paint it pink. Yes, pink.

3: Paint it red.

Follow steps 2-6 as above.

And, finally, my current red technique (grittier red and more time consuming):

Primer doesn't really matter, I prime a mid-grey tone.

1: Base coat depends on what I'm going for, at army level it's a mid-brown (i.e. Vallejo Game Color Earth)

2: After the base coat, mix the base coat color at a 1:2 base to red ratio and add that on top, leaving a line of the undercoat brown showing.

3. A coat to bring the ratio to 1:1

4: Paint red.

5: This is where you could follow the initial steps 2-6, but I diverge here, pretty solidly: I use a dark brown-purple ink wash to reinforce the base coat.

6: recover any tidemarks with the red coat from step 4

Then follow steps 3-6 as above.

Those are the fastest red techniques I know. I hope these help you if you've not already tried these.

I will note I've seen reds shaded by dark greens, purples, and even blues before, and they were marvelous. I definitely put them in the "advanced" category for painting purposes, but it's something to strive for and it would be a great thing to learn.

Whew! Sorry for the long-winded post, don't hesitate to ask questions! dsmiles is right, it's a great place to learn things!

Edited by Darkmeer

Thanks for the tips dsmiles and Darkmeer!

This was the result of a paint and take - so I was limited to the paints and supplies that they supplied. There was no palate, so there was no way for me to thin the paint. Also apart from the paints that I mentioned, there were no other paints.

Anyway, on to the Bones.

This is the Flesh Golem. It was the first Bones that I painted (I painted a few metals in the past, but not Bones), so I struggled with the paint consistency and wash behaviour at first. But we learn with progress. I also had very few colours when I started painting him.

Skin is Reaper Oiled Leather

Lining - Walnut Brown

Loincloth - Soft Blue + Walnut Brown - 2:1 ratio.

post-12932-0-40316600-1384705095_thumb.jpg

After a Walnut Brown wash + unidentified grey base (leftover from L2PK1)

post-12932-0-30617700-1384705422_thumb.jpg

After base is dry brushed with a light grey (I didn't write the exact colours used on this mini or on the rats, mostly because I in a rush), the teeth lined with Walnut Brown, and the eyes painted golden yellow. Loincloth is also highlighted in soft blue (I think).

post-12932-0-50704100-1384705766_thumb.jpg

Nails and teeth painted in linen white dirtied with Oiled Leather and Golden Yellow dirtied with Oiled Leather:

post-12932-0-81051800-1384705938_thumb.jpg

And he's done:

post-12932-0-01350700-1384706044_thumb.jpg

I could spend more time on him, but I was kind of getting tired of him at his point, so I decided to move on. If anyone has any interesting suggestions, I might go back and touch him up a bit (I'm not happy with his loincloth, mostly. The rest will do)

• Like 1

I thought I'd post the rats next, but they are complete, and not that interesting (enough examples here, anyway), so I'll post my current minis in work instead:

First up, a Pathfinder Goblin which is going to be a PC. That’s why I removed most of the mild-lines (the ones that I could see, at least), and am taking so many pains with him. The PC is a Goblin ranger, and so I’m trying to give him that feel. He's also an underdog, so I'm trying not to go too overboard with the bright colours. I want him to stand out, but not too much.
Unlike my plans for other bones, I removed as many of the mould lines that I could see. It's not perfect, but I'm still trying not take months on this. I want him ready for our next session.
Lining with Walnut Brown
post-12932-0-81320500-1385058908_thumb.jpg
post-12932-0-77037400-1385059062_thumb.jpg
Drybrushing and highlighting metals and base painting the eyes
post-12932-0-25494200-1385059187_thumb.jpg
post-12932-0-76198700-1385059241_thumb.jpg
Base colouring the skin (CDA Green Goblin, which is slightly shiny, so it reflects some of the colours next to it in the photos), bow, and all the leathers (various shades of brown):
post-12932-0-00595800-1385059469_thumb.jpg
post-12932-0-42077400-1385059521_thumb.jpg
Base colouring the bandages
post-12932-0-70721000-1385059577_thumb.jpg
post-12932-0-13691400-1385059631_thumb.jpg
Finishing base colours on everything, plus some initial textures on the bow, and some shading on the leathers and the arrows:
post-12932-0-41735100-1385059837_thumb.jpg
post-12932-0-16401400-1385059889_thumb.jpg
That is as far as I have gone so far, and there's a lot of work still left - shadowing, highlighting, fixing the eyes and finishing the base (a woodland/grassland base). He is so tiny that it is a challenge to paint him. Not as bad as the Kobolds, but close.

Edited by Daximillian
  • Like 1