Po Boys Terrain, a new spin on western terrain

harbinger

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprized this isn't doing better. It would kill on Kickstarter. 11 full buildings for $100. Very cool detail. Easy to assemble and store. How is this not already funded? I think it's another case of Indiegogo flexible funding fears. Hope it succeeds. I can't afford to sink $100 into it with the flexible funding risk though. If I would get my $100 back if it didn't fund I would be in in a second. Indiegogo is disappointing.

• Like 2

Slick western themed RPGs? DEADLANDS, I say. :D ( http://www.peginc.com ) I've got a plastic train and a bunch of Reaper minis I've been working on in prep for eventually running a big Deadlands scenario that might eventually turn into a proper campaign. Having some lightweight buildings would be a nice touch.

Anyway, these look pretty low-price compared to what I've seen out there so far. (And, yeah, it looks like there's a bit more "assembly" required for these kits, but it's not like all those pricey MDF sets come "ready out of the box" anyway.) Thanks for the link!

I am surprized this isn't doing better. It would kill on Kickstarter. 11 full buildings for $100. Very cool detail. Easy to assemble and store. How is this not already funded? I think it's another case of Indiegogo flexible funding fears. Hope it succeeds. I can't afford to sink $100 into it with the flexible funding risk though. If I would get my $100 back if it didn't fund I would be in in a second. Indiegogo is disappointing.

I'm not too worried about the flexible funding (in this case). Instead, I have a general issue with IGG because of the incredibly annoying process for adjusting (increasing) your pledge. Especially for a project with stretch goals, I heavily use Kickstarter's trivial system for adjusting pledges.

If this campaign had been on Kickstarter, I would have thrown in $100 immediately and then figured out how much more I need for additional buildings, different finishes, etc. I probably would be around $200 by now, but also would be seriously considering bringing up my alternate accounts to pick up whole towns in the alternate finishes.

On IGG, you really can't blindly pledge and then adjust. Next weekend, when the project is closer to finished, I'll figure out exactly what I would want and weigh the likelihood of fulfillment, and make a single pledge. Using IGG makes me think, and the more I think the more likely I am to decide that my cardstock town is good enough and the more likely I am to be distracted by something else shiny.

ETA: I have awfully low standards for a project (see my 160-odd on Kickstarter), but I have yet to find one on IGG sufficiently compelling to even create an IGG account. Interpret this as anti-IGG bias as appropriate.

Edited by KevinR
  • Like 1

Hi Guys :)

First two things...

I apologize for not keeping a better eye on this thread, I dropped the ball there. When I first started creating the western terrain for personal use; it was for a game called Malifaux. Since the community there has been pushing me (for almost a year) to turn it into a commercial product, the forum there is where most the communication has happened. It is where Im known and have "followers."

I am not here to talk anyone into becoming a supporter. It is your wallets and hard earned cash we are talking about. I would like to address a few points to hopefully clarify some decisions I made.

When I first got a sample back from the 3rd party manufacturer and announced I would produce these kits using kickstarter, someone PMed me and made comment along line of "be careful because I know of few products where people pledged then didnt pay and put the producer in a bind." Based on that suggestion I decided to go with indiegogo. If had to do over I would of stuck to Kickstarter plan; but what is done is done. As I set the funding project up I noticed that flexible allowed credit card contribution for people with paypal accounts and fixed did not. My thinking at the time is "make it easy for customers, you get happy customers." As the only cloud funding project I have dealt with was Reapers Bones, I never stopped to considered the implications. Long story short... when time comes to introduce my Victorian building line, I will definitely go with Kickstarter.

As the FAQ on my funding page explains in more detail; if the funding goal is not met the perks will still be honored. The material is already secured, the contribution price will cover the manufacturing cost and shipping. In that scenario I will not see a profit worth mentioning (profit would not kick in till have enough orders to get quantity discount on the cutting/etching.) I knew that from the beginning and accepted it. Way I am looking at it is; every business has a marketing budget. Since I will earn reputation and exposure, people will know me when my main line comes out. So the lack of profit becomes my marketing budget.

Anyway, these look pretty low-price compared to what I've seen out there so far. (And, yeah, it looks like there's a bit more "assembly" required for these kits, but it's not like all those pricey MDF sets come "ready out of the box" anyway.) Thanks for the link!

No assembly is required short of holding the walls close enough for the magents to grab and sliding the floor in place. If want look better than the stained finish they come in you would need to paint them though (the included ebook terrain guide explains several techniques and finishes for this) so I guess we can count that as assembly :)

I'm not too worried about the flexible funding (in this case). Instead, I have a general issue with IGG because of the incredibly annoying process for adjusting (increasing) your pledge. Especially for a project with stretch goals, I heavily use Kickstarter's trivial system for adjusting pledges.

If this campaign had been on Kickstarter, I would have thrown in $100 immediately and then figured out how much more I need for additional buildings, different finishes, etc. I probably would be around $200 by now, but also would be seriously considering bringing up my alternate accounts to pick up whole towns in the alternate finishes.

Yes I hate the way indiegogo does add ons. Way people have been doing this is contributing a second time, chosing donate without perk then manually typing in the amount. Then emailing me so I can update my personal spreadsheet.

I might of made mistake in way described them on the funding page. the finishes you see are examples that can be done by the pledger after recieves them. They come prestained. The only options is in the style they are physically built. Frontier or Upscale. There is an option for distressed (ghost town look) but there is an add on fee associated as that has to be done by hand and is labor intensive.

In closing, thanks for the intrests shown :) Whether become a contributor or not; I wish you years of gaming fun!

Edited by harbinger
  • Like 2

didn't really look deeply into the weirdness that is Indiegogo before pledging.

I pledged 100dollar for the townset wave one..but I'm in canada..do I have to make a seperate pledge to cover shipping costs to canada?( i just figured we could up the current pledge like kickstarter)

Yes, just contribute again and chose donate with no perk. For shipping theres no reason to email me, I add every pleadge into a personal spreadsheet and sort by name so I know the shipping.

Thanks for your support!

BTW, I do have a request.. I know, Im a greedy git. Im asking pledgers to post pics with what they do with the terrain on the PB website (currently under developmet.) It's a bit of ego thing for me; the idea of people enjoying my work in their beloved hobby.