Owlmabbitt

77051: Orc Stalker (Two Weapons)

Good job with him, I'll give you a few critiques. I'd suggest higher highlights and deeper shadows along with taking pictures with a more neutral background such as a light grey. This will help you (and us) see the figure better in the pictures.

• Like 2

Thanks ub3r_n3rd. I thought I was being smart with the dark green background but I see what you mean. Highlights and darks - yes, that makes sense.

• Like 2

Yeah the dark green against his green skin kind of blends in, so it's always better to put in the neutral background when taking pictures so that it doesn't blend in or detract from your figure. The highlights and shading will emulate the light/dark. Anyhow, keep up the good work and keep posting!

• Like 1

I must admit that I thought some of the pelt was chain mail to start so it was all dark metal, then my son pointed out the difference (when I thought it was all done) so I went back to make more pelt below the chain mail. Ah well. Live and learn. Given that the colour mixing was done at very different times I'm pleased with the result. Any more suggestions welcome.

• Like 1

My bit of advice would be to grab the Army Painter Inks, Strong Tone (dark brown) and Dark Tone (almost black). That's the little bottles, not the cans of "dip". They are skill in a bottle for shading washes. If you want to do human faces, grab the Soft Tone as well (sepia, ie., light brown).

OR, if you prefer to DIY, check this out, just make up the "base" then mix with dark paint as needed for a very effective wash (it's trickier to get right than the AP stuff)

http://www.awesomepaintjob.com/index.cfm/resources.recipes

Thanks both. Knight OTDT there are no scultpted teeth, just a gaping maw, so I chose the coward's path and avoided detail. Yes, it would be better if I'd attempted teeth.