A Girl Who Reads

Loim

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to get into so much trouble in middle and high school for being caught up late reading. And most of my incidents of getting in trouble at school from grade school were for being caught reading when I was supposed to be doing something else. >____>; Your post brought back all the shame involved in having my books confiscated, Qwyksilver. xD (I didn't have a bookshelf in my bedroom, so it was easier then than now to do something like that.)

• Like 3

One of my last detentions was for reading in class during a test. I had to fill two sides of a paper with

"I will not read the Hardy Boys during Social Studies tests."

That only encouraged me to bring other books to school. :devil:

Both my kids love to read (or be read to). My son had a blank check as a reward for above and beyond behavior, and he chose Barnes and Noble to get a book, even with Toys R Us right down the street. There are a lot of nights when our daughter begs us to read to him for his bedtime story. He's even started sleeping with picture books under his pillow.

• Like 5

Both my kids love to read (or be read to). My son had a blank check as a reward for above and beyond behavior, and he chose Barnes and Noble to get a book, even with Toys R Us right down the street. There are a lot of nights when our daughter begs us to read to him for his bedtime story. He's even started sleeping with picture books under his pillow.

Kids that love to read are awesome. But if your older one reads bedtime stories to the younger one you win as a parent.

• Like 7

Kids that love to read are awesome. But if your older one reads bedtime stories to the younger one you win as a parent.

Eldest enjoys reading Terry Pratchett Discworld books to youngest.

• Like 3

Eldest enjoys reading Terry Pratchett Discworld books to youngest.

Note to self: Buy Tiffany Aching series for daughter.

Thanks for the reminder, Pingo!

-Dave

• Like 4

Relevant:
You Should Date an Illiterate Girl
The Real Reasons to Date a Girl Who Reads

But honestly, this sort of thing always skeeves me out a little bit. There's a certain type of intellectual elitism popular on various corners of the internet that is a little disturbing. It's a phenomenon very similar to the "Other Girls vs. Me" thing. Other girls are fake and trashy and shallow! But not me, I read books and drink tea and think deep thoughts! This video does the same thing from the male perspective, and then has that extra layer of MPDG added: "I'm so much more deep and brooding than the other guys! They just want sex! I want sex too, but when we do it, it'll be book sex, and therefore better! If I could just find a girl who fits this list of criteria, she'd complete me!" I guess the problem I have with the "date a girl who reads" message is that you should date a girl who makes you happy. Don't date "a girl who reads," date a specific person. If she reads, it'll be one facet of her complex and real personality. Don't sit in a coffee shop with your artfully-aged copy of Tolstoy or Nabokov or Fitzgerald, waiting for some girl who fits this weird idea you have in your head of the ideal mate. Go do things you enjoy (which might be sitting in a coffee shop, or might be partying, or might be going to a concert, or taking hang gliding lessons) and while you're out having fun and being an interesting person, you will find another person who is interesting and who you connect with, and maybe they'll read, and maybe they'll have a thing for obscure foreign film, and maybe they'll listen to indie rock bands you've never heard of, but maybe they'll watch reality TV and maybe they'll love action movies and maybe they'll listen to Ke$ha. And probably they'll like some combination of the above, and it won't be what you'll expect. And they will be a real, interesting person with hopes and dreams and interests, just like you and just like every other person in the world. Date a girl whose presence you enjoy, and who makes you laugh more than she makes you cry, and with whom you have something in common and can have interesting conversations. And if those things require that she read, then I guess you should go find a girl who reads. But if you really can't imagine having a meaningful conversation about anything other than books, you probably aren't nearly as interesting as you think you are.

All this from someone who has loved reading for as long as he can remember, and who is dating a girl who just devours books at a phenomenal pace.

• Like 5

Well put Slendertroll, and I agree fully. I suppose I, and most others here, would say rather than a girl who reads, we want to find, or have found, intelligent, interesting, and multifaceted partners. Reading can be, but doesn't have to be, or necessarily is, a sign of intelligence and thoughtfulness. And even if they do read, what they choose to read may be of more importance.

• Like 1

I agree and disagree with you there slendertroll:

I agree with everything you say about dating a specific girl, however I think you miss the point of the poem. I might be wrong here but (and Im no poem expert) but I think you should interpret it more along the lines of "an ode to dating due to reading" rather that an actual sit in a bookstore and wait for a nice girl to come in.

So yes, i love the poem, it made me laugh and to be honest, its one of the few poems ive ever heard recited in a way that i enjoyed. I love the fact that he tells his mates the truth, even though its "different". Yeah just rambling now, ill shut up, ooh butterfly!!...

• Like 2