Safe tablet-browsing practices?

klawzie

This is going to be a fairly awkwardly worded question, because I don't think I really have the vocabulary for it, but....

Does anyone here have any information about safe tablet-browsing practices?

By this I mean, with Firefox on my PC, I know to have things like Ghostery, NoScript; etc installed in my browser and then follow it up with a weekly or so hit with Spybot or Malware Bytes; etc to clear up any adware/malware that makes it through my precautions.

Is there similar help for tablets? I use a Kindle Fire and my mom uses an iPad, so tips for either/both would be welcome. My parents asked me about it this morning and I had no information to give and wasn't willing to go poking around the internet and getting anonymous and possibly malicious advice.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully someone else knows more than I do about those particular devices, my only advice would be to not use public wifi on those devices to do things like banking, shopping, etc. That's based not just on the devices themselves, but rather the fact that your sensitive info is passing through a networking wasteland where you don't know who's in charge.

Anyone else?

• Like 1

I concur with the previous posts in that it's not what device you're using, but how you're connected. Using any device on a public network should always be for generalized browsing. Anyone with a packet sniffer on that network can intercept any data you're transferring back and forth with minimal effort. As far as browsing the web in general, most browsers have some form of private browsing. Chrome calls it Incognito mode, IE calls it In-Private Browsing. Basically nothing is saved to your cache. At this point "most" malware is aimed at PCs, but that's not to say mobile devices are immune. Besides safe browsing habits, I use AVG Free on my Android device to schedule automatic daily scans plus it has the ability to scan new apps and file downloads as they're being installed or opened. I'm not sure about compatibility with the Kindle so your best bet may be to either browse the security section of the Amazon Appstore or Google Play and see what's available for your device.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I'll let them know.

I'll have to check out AVG in a week or so... Not much more than an hour after I posted this, my cardigan sleeve got caught in a lever style doorknob and my Kindle went flying and landed face-down on tile flooring. Screen completely shattered. Sadface.

Thanks, ShadowRaven! And, yes. Since the warranty didn't cover "acts of the ungraceful". ._. Having just read Randomness thread, it seems like one of Those Days all over. :/ I got off fairly lightly, I think.

That's why I don't carry around things like that. I don't text while walking, or use my vita in any other position except sitting (in a firmly planted seat), and anything quite expensive gets carried by the Hubby. Because I fall squarely into the Ungraceful catagory.

• Like 1