NomadZeke

Weapons/Clothing on Bones?

Howdy y'all,

So long story short, Bones Kickstarted (pun intended) my painting time again, after a multi-year hiatus. However, I was wondering if anyone had experience scuplting Green Stuff onto Bones?

I have a a Tiefling barbarian with Diabolic Transformation as a feat, and I wanted to use a new mini for the "hulking monster" form, so I chose this: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/succubus/sku-down/77067

Since we have some younger generations playing with us, the 'full nude' isn't an option really (I personally couldn't care less). I would be wanting to craft something akin to the "slave leia" type outfit (because reasons) and plan to hack off the whip and use a brass rod as a base and make it into a "sinister" spear if possible...plan B was to get a weapon sprue during 12 days of reaper to graft into/through the hilt of the whip...has anybody ever done anything like this? I have some very basic green-stuff know how...though ideas and suggestions are the reason this topic is here...any/all advice would be appreciated.
Cheers y'all,

-NoZ

Weapon swaps are fairly easy, just be careful cutting the Bones material as it is very soft and easy to make a mistake.

For clothing, keep in mind you don't really have to make clothing, you just need to sculpt in the lines. Especially for a bikini, you just need to show where the edge of the cloth is, and then smooth it on one side. When you paint it, it will look like clothing.

:blink: Well...whadya know...that is her hair...humm...ok that complicates it...Uh...maybe reposition the right hand to be more perpendicular to the ground and then have it that way.

Inarah: Do you have any articles/resources to point towards such? Pictures would be helpful if possible...I could wing it but that leaves less room for errors.

Honestly? There are similar models that have the clothing/gear/pose you're thinking of. If you don't mind picking up another mini you'd save yourself a lot of time going that route. That being said...

I could dig out the one I have and do a step-by-step thing for you. The sculpting is tricky... but easier than you would think. Especially since she'll be wearing very little. The weapon swap is CAKE. Stick with your pinning rod idea and just the head off a weapon you have available. That will be much easier and much more stable than a soft metal replacement shaft.

I've actually looked at the minis from reaper for a bit before deciding...the big sell to me was that I figured it would be easier to add a weapon and such than to sculpt on a tail. However, a step-by-step would be greatly appreciated. Also given the fact I'm a genius and thought it was a whip and not her hair, I'll probably be trying to boil/cold shock the right hand into a better pose for holding a spear.

• Like 1

I plan on trying to shorten the length of her hair by cutting off the long pony tail and fixing what's left with green stuff. That way I can use that hand for the spear.

I'll try and get going on this Wednesday morning after I've had coffee and get as much posted as I can before things get busy. Since I'm not painting her for this the conversion should be fairly quick.

I'm afraid I don't have much to add on the sculpting front. (Other than you can make thin sheets of GS by rolling it out on a lightly greased flat surface when it's freshly mixed, then after it's set for 30-45 minutes carefully peel it. It should be very flat and smooth on the side that was facing the surface, while the side that was facing up is ungreased and should be still sticky enough to adhere to your surface. Although I think Inarah's approach of just using a thin strip to set an edge of the clothing and blending the other side into the skin will probably look pretty good and I'd try that.)

What I came here to add is that Green Stuff and other putties seem to work fine on Bones. I did some tests with pictures here if you need more info than that - http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48668-bones-preparation-glues-putties-mould-lines-etc/

• Like 1

Okay folks I am starting on a WIP just for this thread. I have before me:

77067: Virina, Female Demon - the main body

and

77119: Sinessa, Hellborn Sorceress - the weapon/outfit

The objective? To convert Virina into an all ages friendly model. The request was for a 'slave leia ish' outfit (design borrowed from Sinessa) and a weapon arm (taken from Sinessa).

Lets get started!!

• Like 1

First thing is first: I need a fresh blade in my hobby knife. I'm going to remove Virina's wings and clean up flashing first.

Here is the reference:

il_570xN.283197504.jpg

Here is the result. I had to elongate the back of the skirt a bit to compensate for the size of her butt and the presence of the tail. Mostly due to the tail. :devil:

I opted to paint the back strap as opposed to sculpt it due to the future presence of the wings. There isn't going to be much room once I reattach them anyway and if it gets cluttered it won't look right.

sfw_virinia_by_girot-d6xsmop.jpg

sfw_virinia_back_by_girot-d6xsmol.jpg

As for that gap? The glue didn't fill it in the way I expected. I ended up using some of the leftover green stuff and fixing it after I took the pictures.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 3