Elyiot

WIP Black Orcs (Bones)

Didn't see a Black Orcs WIP thread, and well, figured I'd just make my own anyway (that's cool, right? what't the netiquette on that?)

Pictures;

group shot

post-7888-0-59477600-1386139285_thumb.jpg

close ups

post-7888-0-71846300-1386139293_thumb.jpg

THE FURS: tan skin is the basecoat of the furs, I plan to go in and wash pretty much the whole model with a diluted soft coat (The Army Painters Warpaints quicksade soft tone) and then the furs with an even more diluted dark coat. I hope this will achieve a good layering and furish look for the furs - we'll see.

THE ARMOR: I plan to make the breast plates rusty and beat to hell, starting with a dark brownish red, and building up layers. I found the technique online called "Jeff Rust" but I'm sure it's been around under other names.

post-7888-0-75200500-1386139300_thumb.jpg

post-7888-0-44356600-1386139315_thumb.jpg

Note the blue and the burgundy clothes. I wanted to give the impression that these guys pretty much scavenge most of their clothes from dead. In my mind blue and burgundy were probably the colors of the local Men-At-Arms/Militia.

post-7888-0-45879600-1386139322_thumb.jpg

For the Arm/Leg guards I was/am trying to do a "Shiny Black Armor" look. (2 drops black, 2 drops silver). I'm not sure if it's really working, or what I'm trying to make it read as (other than you know, "Cool"). Any input or ideas would be appreciated, I might just make them pitted and rusted like i plan to do for the breastplates, probably would look best and tie in well.

Thanks for reading.

Keep Painting.

• Like 8

Nice work so far, I'm looking forward to seeing how these come along. I tried to look up Jeff Rust, can you post a link?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Very nice. Are they staying on the broccoli bases or are you going to rebase them?

Could you get the shiny effect when you varnish, or by adding a gloss medium to the paint?

Edited by misterc

Nice work so far, I'm looking forward to seeing how these come along. I tried to look up Jeff Rust, can you post a link?

Thanks.

I'll see if I can find it again.

Looking really good so far, keep it up!

Thanks!

Very nice. Are they staying on the broccoli bases or are you going to rebase them?

Could you get the shiny effect when you varnish, or by adding a gloss medium to the paint?

I haven't really got into basing figures yet, so on the broccoli they'll stay (for now). I haven't done much with varnish or gloss.

• Like 1

Okay, Two things,

First thing; This is the process I use for SUPER rusty armor/weapons, I picked it up from a video I'm still trying to track down again...

(d=drop)

Step one; Dark Redish Brown ( 2d Muddy Brown + 2d Gory Red + 1d Pure Black basecoat;

post-7888-0-83686100-1386231913_thumb.jpg

Step two; "Speckle" Dark red (Splattered Crimson), dry-brush consistency of paint on brush;

Oops. No picture of this step. Might have deleted it because it was too blurry.

Step three; "Speckle" Orange (Lava Orange), extra-dry-brush consistency

post-7888-0-97703300-1386231919_thumb.jpg

Step four; Drybrush/Speckle Silver (Honed Steel), extra-dry-brush consistency

post-7888-0-79811600-1386231925_thumb.jpg

And the final product rust wise (figures not done);

post-7888-0-77749900-1386231900_thumb.jpg

post-7888-0-85057200-1386231907_thumb.jpg

(the guy on the right is my personal favorite of how the silver turned out. the key as with most painting seems to be a very light touch - a little goes a long way.)

• Like 5

I do like the rust effect...the orc with the shield I would rate as my favourite. Especially his shoulder armor. the highlights as well as the rust came out very nice on him.

I think the rust came out nicely. The plates on the right side orc in the last photo look great. Are you going to continue the rust on the chainmail?

I think the rust came out nicely. The plates on the right side orc in the last photo look great. Are you going to continue the rust on the chainmail?

Er, well, I was just going to use a dark wash on the chainmail and call it good (The Sword and Shield Orc has it on his chainmail) but now that you mention it, I probably should. If their armor is that rusty, their chainmail wouldn't be fine and dandy. Maybe I'll wash it with a brownisn red wash....

The rust looks great!! Thanks for the tutorial, it really helps.

Oh no, I'm far too inexperience to be giving tutorials in any serious sense! Just really wanted to share this technique because I think it makes amazing results. Thanks though - I'm glad you found it to be useful!

• Like 1

The rust looks great!! Thanks for the tutorial, it really helps.

Oh no, I'm far too inexperience to be giving tutorials in any serious sense! Just really wanted to share this technique because I think it makes amazing results. Thanks though - I'm glad you found it to be useful!

Regardless of your experience level, that step-by-step is super handy, and that rusty armor looks great! Thanks!

• Like 2

I found the video referring to "Jeff's Rust," and it's pretty good. Worth watching to see the process.

Nice, thanks.